This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

MET season

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 01:05 PM

Kudelka's Firebird was cancelled due to money problems. I believe they were all set to go, the mailings even had Herrera in a Firebird costume on the cover. But I agree, I hope things don't fall through. I had been hoping that ABT would dig into its rep. and revive their reconstructions of Symphonie Concertante and Bourre Fantastique. It would have differentiate ABT's tribute to Balanchine from others - given the public something it can't get across the plaza. And maybe things can change for the better, ballets can be added too (one hopes).

Has anybody received the subscription mailing? It is supposed to be available in October. Maybe it will be at the City Center theater during the season.

#17 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 04:44 PM

Dale
Did your source mention anything about Mozartiana which was mentioned by Roma as one of the Met saeson offering?
Joe

#18 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 04:54 PM

No. It was said that the Balanchine tribute program will "include" Theme, pas de deux and Ballet Imperial. There's always hope. But as I said, we might find out officially any day now when the Met mailings are released. I will look into it further.

#19 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:31 PM

The Mozartiana information was from a very reliable source, though as has been said, things do sometimes change.

#20 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 05:45 PM

In the ballet world, that's the favorite snack. Hot leek with Reliable Sauce. :)

#21 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:27 PM

So if the program turns out to be (hypothetically speaking, of course) Theme, Mozartiana, pdd, Ballet Imperial, that's all-Balanchine and all-Tchaikovsky program. (Or would it be Imperial, Mozartiana, pdd, Theme?)

All great, important ballets, and I'd love to see how Mozartiana fits ABT, but over all, the program is (I mean, would be) a little (actually, a lot) too rich for my taste. I'd have opted for a leotard ballet in the program.

#22 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 04:34 AM

After seeing the lovely "Divertimento No. 15", i was hoping that they would revive Mr B's other Mozart ballet, "Symphonie Concertante"but i'll settle for "Ballet Imperial"( w/ Gillian Murphy??).
Joe

#23 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:05 AM

Dale,
Any news on the Met season?We usually get the Met season brochure at this time or am i imagining it?I hope the delay is not related to the Movado funding or to the search for "international-class" ballerina.
Joe

#24 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:33 AM

I heard, that the Balanchine evening will consist of Ballet Imperial, Symphonie Concertante, and Mozartiana. :jump:

#25 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:47 AM

And will Veronica Part or Monique Meunier be allowed to dazzle us in Farrell's role in Mozartiana, as their talent would seem to dictate?

#26 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:54 AM

Roma,
That program is certainly worth jumping for joy.Thanks for the info.
Joe

#27 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:56 AM

I am already picturing the ABT Mozartiana women: Dvorovenko, Herrera, Murphy. And Reyes.

Part and Meunier might get Symphonie Concertante, if Kevin's feeling generous.

#28 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 12:56 PM

Re Part and Meunier (both of whom I admire as well) I don't have any inside information, but I doubt that the company hired them only to lock them in a dungeon for spite :wub: There could well be an illness or injury problem we don't know about.

#29 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 02:12 PM

As Nina Ananiashvili has done Mozartiana (coached by Suzanne, I believe) & done it wonderfully, I'm sure she will be first cast.

#30 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 02:15 PM

Subscription brochures will be going out by Thanksgiving, I was told. I'd pay top dollar to see Meunier and Part in a significant part in any of the Balanchine. I have a feeling we'll see Stiefel in the Mozartiana (considering his recent turn in Boston), so the lead will have to be somebody he can partner. Ananiashvili fits that. If my crystal ball is correct, I have a feeling Tuttle will dancing the lead in either Mozartiana or Symphonie Concertante. And Herrera did Ballet Imperial before. They also tend to cast Murphy and Wiles in Balanchine.

If there is no change of heart as far as Meunier and Part go, I would hope we would at least see Meunier as the soloist in Ballet Imperial - a role she so commandingly performed at NYCB. There would be little partnering issues. I can see Wiles in that part, as well. Considering partnering, Symphonie would be a good ballet to use M and P as, if my memory is correct, there are few overhead lifts in that ballet. I'd love to see Murphy tackle the lead in BI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):