This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MET season

Subscription brochures will be going out by Thanksgiving, I was told. I'd pay top dollar to see Meunier and Part in a significant part in any of the Balanchine. I have a feeling we'll see Stiefel in the Mozartiana (considering his recent turn in Boston), so the lead will have to be somebody he can partner. Ananiashvili fits that. If my crystal ball is correct, I have a feeling Tuttle will dancing the lead in either Mozartiana or Symphonie Concertante. And Herrera did Ballet Imperial before. They also tend to cast Murphy and Wiles in Balanchine.

If there is no change of heart as far as Meunier and Part go, I would hope we would at least see Meunier as the soloist in Ballet Imperial - a role she so commandingly performed at NYCB. There would be little partnering issues. I can see Wiles in that part, as well. Considering partnering, Symphonie would be a good ballet to use M and P as, if my memory is correct, there are few overhead lifts in that ballet. I'd love to see Murphy tackle the lead in BI.

Brochure -- I'll definitely look forward to it. Thanks, Dale!

Remembering that the original of this Mozartiana was led by Farrell and Andersen (and their respective sizes) it is reasonable to assume that Stiefel's partner in that (if he does indeed do it this spring) could be Murphy. Their height difference is greater than than of SF and IA. I have no doubt that H. Cornejo will dance the (unpartnered) 2nd man's role.

Erm, we're talking here like Ib Andersen was a midget. Alexandra, I think you may know better than I but how tall is Andersen? My guess is 5'11"? The original cast of Mozartiana was two men of similar height and build (Andersen and Victor Castelli, injured before the premiere and Christopher d'Amboise was thrown in) and Farrell. I'll bet you anything ABT follows the Mutt and Jeff casting the ballet has had since Gen Horiuchi took the role.

Leigh, I think Ib Andersen is 5'11 (which makes him taller than Farrell by quite a few inches) And I agree that originally the two men were different halves of the same coin (I always forget that D'Amboise first danced the second man; I didn't see him and always remember Castelli). I think the Mutt and Jeff casting spoils the ballet, but in a world desperate for short boy roles.....

There is no illness or injury problem with Part or Meunier so far as I have been able to ascertain. They are said to be overweight, which may be true by some criteria, but a) the best way to stay overweight is not to dance and b) there are many danseurs around the world who would have no trouble lifting them.

I only saw Meunier in the Elder Sister's costume, so I don't know exactly what shape she's in, but re: Part in the Harrison, if this be overweight, it is a gorgeous alternative to the extremely spare silhouette favored by many other ABT leads.

I see Murphy as anything but an ideal partner for Stiefel, although he partnered her heroically at the Met last season.

Edited by Thalictum
carbro, so you think Murphy is taller than Stiefel, even on pointe?  I always thought so but an ABT watcher pointed out that she dances a lot taller than she is.

Actually, Dale, I had thought that on pointe, Murphy would tower over Stiefel, but last spring they danced together many times, and they are a well-matched pair, she on pointe just a tad shorter than he. I remember Farrell on pointe as being close in height to Andersen, probably closer than Murphy and Stiefel. I think that was the point I was trying to make. :blink:

Murphy can't be taller than Stiefel, because I saw her do Don Q when she was a soloist, partnered by Angel Corrella, and I always saw Corrella as a "short" male dancer. She was only about and inch or two taller than him when she was en pointe. Maybe it's just my perception but I thought Stiefel was a considerable amount taller than Corrella. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

And thanks for the brochure info--I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival! :party:

~*~Carmen~*~

Carbro, I agree with you. They are a well-matched pair. I had always thought she was too tall for him, and expressed this to an ABT fan when they were cast together two years ago for Theme and Variations and Fille. But then I saw that, indeed, she is not as tall as one would think. But then I also thought Nina A. is taller than she actually is (as we discussed on the board earlier in the year). Evidently, toe length makes all the difference. :blink: It would be interesting to see Stiefel in Mozartiana again and, maybe, David Hallberg too.

I think there's also something else working here, and that is Kevin MacKenzie's sense of fair play and nice guy-ness. Casting former NYCB dancers for a Balanchine festival when the other guys are right across the plaza might be interpreted by some as a ballet company version of "Neener, neener, neener!" On tour, it would be something else, but at Lincoln Center, it's a different ballfield.

Yeah, God forbid Kevin should cast dancers who actually have a clue what they're doing out of deference to his much, much richer competition. That would certainly make for a level playing field between the companies.

I do think after a rocky start ABT's Symphony in C became quite respectable, although I never got used to the applause at every lead's entrance.

I shudder at the thought of what Balanchine we'll see P*l*m* H*rr*r* tackle. Since McKenzie seems to cast her in everything, even when she's clearly phoning it in, I guess we'll find out.

Sigh.

I do think that even if Murphy is actually the right height for Stiefel to partner, he's a bit slight for her (she's a big, strong girl), and not known for his great partnering skills. (I am still astonished that McKenzie cast him to partner Meunier in 3rd Mvt. Symphony in C, even though they never actually performed together). On the other hand, Murphy looks just perfect with Hallberg.

There's also the Ranieri-instigated enforcement of the exclusivity clause of their contract with the Fokine Estate that's left a bad taste in everybody's mouth. And the Movado move didn't help their reputation. Believe me, ABT can't afford to offend too many more people. There aren't that many left undisgruntled. I am still convinced of Kevin's personal benevolence, but perhaps he may be too much of a nice guy.

We deleted a post on this thread that went over our "no gossip, please" line and I thought it might be time for a gentle caution that something learned from a dancer, or family member, or backstage person, etc. isn't news; if it's not in print, or a statement from one of the indiviudals involved, it's gossip. Thanks.