53 replies to this topic

#1 Nikolaidenmark

Nikolaidenmark

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:02 AM

HEY :lol:

does anybody have a clue what to expect for the met season in NYC?? :(
i know gossip is not allowed in here but i guess a gathering of knowledge is okey??

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for reading our rules and your comment on gossip ;) This kind of guessing is okay!

I honestly haven't heard anything. We'll be sure there will be a lot of full lengths, but other than that, the season hasn't been announced.

Two new ballets that have been announced is a new production of Raymonda (by Anna Marie Holmes and Kevin McKenzie) and a new ballet by William Forsythe.

Dale, Mary, others? Any news?

#3 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:28 AM

Raymonda is listed as Choreographed and Staged by Anna-Marie Holmes after Marius Petipa as well as Directed and Conceived by Anna-Marie Holmes and Kevin McKenzie. Just to line it up, so to speak.

#4 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:06 AM

This will be the same production that Ms. Holmes recently staged in Helsinki. Initial word-of-mouth is encouraging. :(

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 10:08 AM

Do we have to worry that Bertrand, Beranger, Abdal Rachman have 14 solos apiece?

#6 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 11:40 AM

They are also doing Mozartiana and La Bayadere.

#7 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 03:37 PM

:yes: I have been authorized to say:
". . . that a friend of yours saw the new Raymonda in Helsinki and says it is a beautiful, traditional production that does justice to the choreography and score. It will look terrific on ABT."

#8 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 03:58 PM

If they will really do Mozartiana,i hope they will do it right by asking S Farrell to stage it.
Hey Carbro and Alexandra, maybe someone at ABT looks at the our ballet wishlist after all.
Joe

#9 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:03 PM

:shhh: Uh-oh, Joe! You shouldn't have planted that idea in my head. I could easily turn dangerous. Too tempting.
:wink:

But let me just suggest that maybe it's time to give Don Q a little rest. :wink:

#10 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:52 PM

Great comment Carbo! :grinning: :wink:

#11 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:22 AM

From a reliable source: American Ballet Theatre's Met season will include Theme and Variations, Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, Ballet Imperial in a tribute to Balanchine.

#12 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 11:17 AM

I thought Ballet Imperial was an earlier version of Theme and Variations. :)

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 11:24 AM

No, Ballet Imperial was done for a pre-NYCB Kirstein/Balanchine company and was later reworked as Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2. Theme was made on ABT. Later, for NYCB, Balanchine choreographed the other three movements of Tchaikovsky's Suite No. 3, and Theme became the final movement of a ballet of that name.

#14 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 11:36 AM

I'm pretty excited because ABT sets the Ballet Imperial with a few more bits of the original pantomime - not as close to the version set on the Royal Ballet (and brought back eventually after another revival at the Royal) - but still different enough from the version at NYCB (which I love in its own right). It's important to have both versions performed on a regular basis. I hope that is the production allowed on stage rather than conforming it to Balanchine's "last version."

#15 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 12:43 PM

I hope your reliable source is as reliable as you say, Dale.

Remember a couple years ago, ABT had planned a Stravinsky program that morphed into the Tchaikovsky program? :shrug:

And I hope, yes I do, that ABT gets the Trust's blessing to continue performing its version of Imperial. The Last Version is not necessarily the One-Size-Fits-All version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):