47 replies to this topic

#46 jbtlse

jbtlse

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 01:17 PM

Oh I just discovered this forum.

I really need something to read.

My book club just read "Liars and Saints"--we meet tonight so I don't know the consensus--but it was very well reviewed in NYTimes a few months ago--it wasn't essential reading--but definately worthwhile.

I still think about "Middlesex" so I would recommend giving it a go.

Two other recommendations, "Special" (by Bella Bathurst I think--lent it out so I can't confirm-- fiction about girls being mean) and "Look at Me" (Jennifer Egan)

Has anyone read that Zoe Heller(or is it Hellar?)--title escapes me now (I'm coaching fifth grader through homework)--about a teacher who has an affar with a student.

Child stalking for help must run.

#47 Adrienne

Adrienne

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 10:51 AM

I'm reading The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald. She did a reading from it Friday night, and I went to it. It was fantastic. And I got my copy signed. Whee.

I'm also in the middle of Life of Pi, although I've put that more or less on hold until I finish some other stuff. I'm reading Meridian by Alice Walker for school, and I'm rereading On Stage, Please by Veronica Tennant for about the twelve thousandth time.

I also bought some computer books a few days ago-- Chapters had a "buy 2, get the 3rd one free" sale on Visual QuickStart Guides from Peachpit Press, so I bought the HTML, JavaScript, and XML ones.

#48 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 07:53 PM

I had to stop reading "Hero with a Thousand Faces" in the middle because I had to return it to the library :shrug: Howver, reading "Emma" for the first time more than made up for that. What a delightful book - and Emma Woodhouse is such a beguiling, sweet, naive young lady yet tough and pragmatic at the same time. The characters are so true to life. It is quite amazing to read the 'real thing' and to to sense the difference between that and all the "influenced by.."s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):