This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

How is everyone in Isabel's path?

Thanks for putting this one up, vrs. Check in with us as you can and let us know that you're all right, please. We've had intermittent gale winds and rain overnight, and the county declared a travel restriction for emergency vehicles and essential workers only from sundown last night to sunup this morning. The track of the storm is really to the west of us, but we're getting fringe effects as feeder bands pass. We had a couple of "blink-outs" in power, but nothing serious. :wink:

Here in southern Ontario my school board closed all buildings for the day. Right now it's raining heavily and the winds are increasing. Hopefully the storm won't be as bad as what some of you have experienced.

I have to admit I'm enjoying an unexpected day off. :shhh:

I'm in Bethesda, MD, two miles from the District and two miles inside the beltway. I never lost power, but was very lucky, as most around here did. Just across the street they are still dark. The traffic signals are almost all out all over the county and in the District. There are hundreds of trees down, and hundreds of thousands of people in the DC/MD/VA area who are without power. The Washington Ballet has no power yet, as of about an hour ago when I last checked. Schools are closed, so ballet classes are canceled too. It got a little scary here for a while, but was not as bad as expected, at least right here where I am. I've seen lots worse, growing up in Florida! However, there is still considerable flooding and damage in many areas, so "izzy" was not a "fizzy" at all. Hard to imagine what it would have been like had it maintained it's original strength! :wink:

Downtown Baltimore is all flooded, and power is out around the city. Fortunately, I am outside the city proper, so I still have power, but my internet access was down last night, and the power went for a brief moment around 6:45 pm. Lots of branches and things on the paths, and no one's supposed to travel.

No damage in my immediate area. I haven't ventured out of my little nieghborhood as of yet, though. The winds and rain, were, as expected, quite violent at times yesterday, and there is still a flood watch in effect for us through the weekend. I didn't even venture across the street to the dining hall until the evening when there was a break in the rain. I was pretty relieved when I found that the eye was over Martin County (north of me) and headed north, away from me. My parents live in the Northern Neck/Middle Penninsula area of VA, and they called me last night and said they had no power.

Just walked through the woods on campus and there are plenty of trees down...not to mention a few signs of a "hurricane party" being held last night. All the buildings here are fine, though. There was a voice mail message for me when I came back, so our main phone service must be back up :).

I was pretty lucky -- my power only went out for 4 1/2 hours, but my cable service (both TV and internet) were down for over a day, which is why I haven't been posting. In my neighborhood, however, others were without power for much longer, as late as yesterday afternoon. A cafe on the next block was giving away free ice cream because it was already 2/3 melted. My office was closed for two days, unnecessarily on Thursday, I think. The local transit authority made the (bad, IMO) decision to close the metro (Washington-area subway) at 11:00 am on Thursday, meaning that there wasn't enough time to go into work and get home again.

But everything is creeping back to normal now.

Being a member of that esteemed profession that runs towards rather than away from disaster (journalism) I joined Isabel in Richmond and Norfolk, VA. To those who have been to the adult ballet camp in the former, I stayed at the Crowne Plaza that you all stay at and can report it kept power, ice, etc. throughout. The rest of Richmond is another matter -- just about everyone lost power, trees were down everywhere and traffic lights were out. I actually spent the storm proper in Norfolk, where there was massive flooding and near total power outages.

It was among the scariest couple of days I've been through -- at night, with no street lights, it was heart stopping just trying to get around. It was hard to see a huge downed tree in the road until you were practically on top of it.

The next day, everyone was out looking for ice and gas -- and there were so few places that had either, lines formed around the blocks and fights broke out. Just awful! I was down to an eighth of a tank when I finally found a gas station and waited two hours in line so I could get the h--- out of Dodge and go home!

Then, arriving home in Baltimore yesterday ... I discovered my power out. :) Still out, grrrr. One friend in the county is out of power AND water, poor thing. I did manage to make it to pilates this a.m., but reluctantly decided not to go to ballet this p.m. since I have to go to Chicago for a family event... At least there's electricity there! :grinning:

All clear here. We had a couple of spinoff non-tropical thundershowers in the wake of the main storm, and the "blink-outs" continued, but no great damage to the local area. This time, the power grid did exactly what it was designed to do, and if one sector failed, another picked it up almost immediately. :) Some tropical air left over, but that's all right!

Lots of traffic signals still out in this area and in DC. Power out in many places still, including Washington Ballet. We were not able to have classes Thursday, Friday or today. Not even sure about next week yet. The company is rehearsing with existing light in two of the studios, using flashlights in the dressing and bath rooms, and working with battery powered boom boxes. :ermm: I'm going in to rehearse Pas de Quatre in a few minutes.....not quite sure what the situation will be, but my guess is that all the batteries must be dead by now! :o

After the initial hit at the coast things are slowly getting back to normal here. The school and colleges were closed Thursday and Friday, Friday because there was no electricity. Parts of our small town have been shut down due to down trees and power lines.

We lost our power Thursday at 1pm and just today got power back. I am soooooo tired of camping out! :ermm:

Karen

Alertniks--

Any info on zip code 22201 (Arlington north of Rte 50 toward Clarendon)?

That's where I live and right now I'm on the road (see the Clavigo thread...). Haven't had any word one way or the other, though someone is staying at my house and my neighbors are the very best one could have in such an event--helpful _and_ sensible.

Koshka, I don't know about that area, but actually I don't think you can even go by areas, since the power outages and the damage seem very random. For instance, Washington Ballet has no power, and the traffic signal at that corner is down, however McLean Gardens, right across Wisconsin Ave. did not lose power. I did not lose power, but half a block away, on the other side of Old Georgetown Rd., they did, and a couple of blocks north too. Parts of Bethesda are out, but it seems to vary street to street.

Hi Everyone! I live in Virginia Beach, and I lost power at my ouse at 8:00 Thursday morning! Just got it back last night and didn't have phone or TV or internet until this morning at about 11! Talk about being cut off from the world! Our school let out early on Wednesday so we didn't have dance class Wed, Thurs, or Sat., and as of now I don't know about tomorrow. I have power at my house now, but I think about 2/3rds of the city is still out, and a lot of people all over Virginia too. Power outages seem pretty random here, for instance, I have power, but a street over my friend still doen't have it. The roads are scary, traffic lights down everywhere, and we have city wide curfew. I don't know when we're going back to school.

Things got pretty scary here Thursday afternoon. Trees fell everywhere, many uprooted, tearing up sidewalks and crashing thorugh roofs and blocking roads everywhere. I was lucky, we had two fall, out in the yard, but we almost had one big gum tree uproot and fall into our house, we could see the ground breathing! My mother was fractically clearing furniture from the front of the house, but the tree stayed put, thank God! Our neighbors had one hit their house and another uproot and fall across the street, tearing up about ten feet of sidewalk, and all of this happened at the same time, senidng them running to the middle of the house! :o My grandparents came over to my house for the storm, since they live on an island and the water came in their garage. What a past few days! :ermm: