This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

How is everyone in Isabel's path?Is it a wash out?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 02:12 AM

Just awakened and seeing the floods and wind damage I cannot help but wonder. How is everyone? Hoping everyone in the area is well. :wink:

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for putting this one up, vrs. Check in with us as you can and let us know that you're all right, please. We've had intermittent gale winds and rain overnight, and the county declared a travel restriction for emergency vehicles and essential workers only from sundown last night to sunup this morning. The track of the storm is really to the west of us, but we're getting fringe effects as feeder bands pass. We had a couple of "blink-outs" in power, but nothing serious. :wink:

#3 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:14 AM

Thankfully in our neck of the woods it was much like Mel's, although we are on the coast. I'm sure that others may not have been so fortunate due to falling trees.

Right now it's 70 degrees and blue skies are showing through. :wink:

#4 DON HO

DON HO

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:53 AM

Minimum damage, electricity on, time to re-open the studo!

#5 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 04:45 AM

Here in southern Ontario my school board closed all buildings for the day. Right now it's raining heavily and the winds are increasing. Hopefully the storm won't be as bad as what some of you have experienced.

I have to admit I'm enjoying an unexpected day off. :shhh:

#6 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 07:09 AM

I'm in Bethesda, MD, two miles from the District and two miles inside the beltway. I never lost power, but was very lucky, as most around here did. Just across the street they are still dark. The traffic signals are almost all out all over the county and in the District. There are hundreds of trees down, and hundreds of thousands of people in the DC/MD/VA area who are without power. The Washington Ballet has no power yet, as of about an hour ago when I last checked. Schools are closed, so ballet classes are canceled too. It got a little scary here for a while, but was not as bad as expected, at least right here where I am. I've seen lots worse, growing up in Florida! However, there is still considerable flooding and damage in many areas, so "izzy" was not a "fizzy" at all. Hard to imagine what it would have been like had it maintained it's original strength! :wink:

#7 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 07:14 AM

Downtown Baltimore is all flooded, and power is out around the city. Fortunately, I am outside the city proper, so I still have power, but my internet access was down last night, and the power went for a brief moment around 6:45 pm. Lots of branches and things on the paths, and no one's supposed to travel.

#8 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 08:12 AM

ANybody talked to Alexandra?

#9 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 08:28 AM

Haven't talked to her, but she has been online today, so I'm assuming she is also one of the lucky ones with power :)

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 08:33 AM

I'm here -- I live close to the river, but if it flooded, it didn't get to me. My street lost quite a few trees in the other storms this year, so perhaps all the weak ones were felled; I don't see any downed ones now.

Glad others are ok.

#11 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:32 AM

No outgoing or incoming phone service because MCI's downtown Baltimore Telephone Switch is underwater :crying: so thank goodness for cell phones! :) :clover:

#12 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:58 AM

Isabel spared our trees, but we haven't had power since 5 yesterday afternoon. I love my laptop!

#13 Arak

Arak

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 10:57 AM

No damage in my immediate area. I haven't ventured out of my little nieghborhood as of yet, though. The winds and rain, were, as expected, quite violent at times yesterday, and there is still a flood watch in effect for us through the weekend. I didn't even venture across the street to the dining hall until the evening when there was a break in the rain. I was pretty relieved when I found that the eye was over Martin County (north of me) and headed north, away from me. My parents live in the Northern Neck/Middle Penninsula area of VA, and they called me last night and said they had no power.

#14 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 12:13 PM

Just walked through the woods on campus and there are plenty of trees down...not to mention a few signs of a "hurricane party" being held last night. All the buildings here are fine, though. There was a voice mail message for me when I came back, so our main phone service must be back up :).

#15 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 07:20 AM

I was pretty lucky -- my power only went out for 4 1/2 hours, but my cable service (both TV and internet) were down for over a day, which is why I haven't been posting. In my neighborhood, however, others were without power for much longer, as late as yesterday afternoon. A cafe on the next block was giving away free ice cream because it was already 2/3 melted. My office was closed for two days, unnecessarily on Thursday, I think. The local transit authority made the (bad, IMO) decision to close the metro (Washington-area subway) at 11:00 am on Thursday, meaning that there wasn't enough time to go into work and get home again.

But everything is creeping back to normal now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):