• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 03:36 PM

Yes, Estelle, that is probably the ballet. It was quite successful and featured a very large cast, including Renault. The other Lifar works were not too well received. Well, if you have seen Charles Jude dance you will have a good idea of what Kalioujny was like.

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,156 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:11 PM

In my performance log, I have entries for Le Palais de Cristal in July 1986 from a POB visit to the Metropolitan Opera House. (It was paired with Washington Square, a Nureyev ballet set to Ives.)

The casts were:

15 July:

First Movement: Elizabeth Maurin/Charles Jude
Second Movement: Sylvie Guillem/Jean-Yves Lormeau
Third Movement: Florence Clerc/Patrick Dupond
Fourth Movement: Karin Averty/Manuel Legris

16 July:

First Movement: Karin Averty/Laurent Hilaire
Second Movement: Elisabeth Platel/Jean-Yves Lormeau
Third Movement: Isabelle Guerin/Patrick Dupond
Fourth Movement: Fabianne Cerruti/Manuel Legris

(I hope I haven't murdered any names; sometimes I can't read my own writing two decades later.)

The performance on the 16th was memorable, because the very glassy-eyed women next to me shrieked the throughout Dupond's performance and glared at me for not matching her enthusiasm. I was used to NYCB protocol, which was to wait at least until the end of the variation to go wild.

I remember three things in particular -- the costumes for each movement were a different color, instead of the all-white NYCB costumes, I liked Karin Averty very much in the first movement, and the second movement seemed very different and flatter than the mid-80's NYCB version. I was trying to imagine the dancer behind the original choreography, but couldn't, unlike in the Symphony in C second movement.

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:34 AM

Thanks for sharing those memories, Helene. I wish I could have seen those casts (but it was long before I started being interested in ballet). It's interesting to notice that in the casts for the upcoming performances, there are two dancers who already danced this ballet 17 (!) years ago: Manuel Legris (now dancing the 2nd movement) and Karin Averty (still in the 1st movement- she never was promoted to principal, but I think she had the level and repertory of a principal dancer, but there were many competitors in her generation...). If I remember correctly, Manuel Legris (then 22) was promoted to principal during that tour?

atm711, yes I have seen Jude (the last time being a few months ago in "Icare", he's now 50 but still dancing), but not as much as I'd like... It's interesting to read that "Suite en blanc" was not well received then, as far as I know it was very successful in France, and was one of Lifar's most often performed works. Well, now, all of his works seem to be forgotten by the company (I've heard that's partly because Hugues Gall doesn't like Lifar's works and so refuses to program it), but when I saw it in 1996 I really liked it (especially Lalo's score).

#19 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 02:22 PM

I'd hate for any of the 3 versions to be lost and I'd hate to think any organization would stop it from being performed because it is not Balanchine's last thought on the ballet.

Well, I'm sorry to say, but in the program of the Paris Opera's Balanchine triple bill, it says "this new production is danced in the New York City Ballet's black and white version, just as the choeographer ultimately envisaged it." Now, it is true, this is what is written, the official reason for giving Symphony in C instead of le Palais de Cristal, maybe there are some other reasons too. :thumbsup:

#20 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 07:17 PM

Well, that doesn't bode well for the continued life of Le Palais de Cristal. :thumbsup:

#21 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 07:37 PM

Estelle, I've often wondered how Karin Averty fared after she returned to Paris after a couple of years at the San Francisco Ballet, where she was an immensely charming dancer, very well-liked by many critics and by the public.

I have to say I was one of those who did not like her in everything -- and in the second movement of Symphony in C I found her disappointing -- so beautiful and elegant that she raised fantastic hopes, which then were not satisfied, for she was not musical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):