This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

new european triple bill

I'd like to hear too -- Effy, Kay, Maria? Did any of you see this?

Nikolaidenmark, unfortunately, we don't have many Danish posters here, although there are some others -- Jorgen and vila -- who often go to performances in Copenhagen. Just saying that so that if there aren't many responses, it's not for lack of interest -- others on the board who don't live near enough to go still want to read about what we can't see!

Did you go? You're welcome to post comments too!

This is the program for the European Triple Bill:

Vers un Pays Sage

Koreografi: Jean-Christophe Maillot

Musik: John Adams

Scenografi: Jean-Christophe Maillot og Dominique Drillot

Kostumer: Jean-Christophe Maillot og Jean-Michel Lainé

Iscenesættelse: Givanni Lorenzoni, ass. Petrusjka Broholm

Digital Secrets

Koreografi, scenografi, lys og kostumer: Jacopo Godani

Musik: Diego Dall’Osto

Iscenesættelse: Andrea Tallis, ass. Lis Jeppesen

In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated

Koreografi og scenografi: William Forsythe

Musik: Thom Willems

Isvenesættelse: Glen Tuggle, ass. Christina Nilsson

There's a link to video on the RDB page:

http://www.kgl-teater.dk/dkt2002/ballet03/frame.htm

As well as some press clips, to articles in Danish.

Sorry about attending late. The triple bill was chosen primarily to get the corps de ballet in motion and as such is fuctions well. The two first ballets gives ample opportunity for a number of younger dancers as they are full of mini solos and example. In the middle somewhat elevated brings on the stars, Schandorff, Kenneth Greve, Marie Pierre Greve, Caroline Cavallo, Andrew Bowman, Thomas Lund and they are marvelous. Neither of the two first ballet are any better than the average European ballets. In fact they are a bit worse, but as Frank Andersen stated, he has chosen this season to consist of ballets he have seem to avoid nasty surprises. Vers un page sage uses the same score as Peter Martins Fearful Symphony which is also in recent repetoire here but do not bring anything that the Martins ballet not allready had provided.

Thahks much, Effy. I can't resist commenting on one thing you wrote:

Neither of the two first ballet are any better than the average European ballets. In fact they are a bit worse, but as Frank Andersen stated, he has chosen this season to consist of ballets he have seem to avoid nasty surprises.

When I was researching my book, I came across a review by a (now deceased) Danish critic, referring to a ballet that Kronstam had brought in when he was ballet master, which caused an outcry because he had never seen it (but took it on the recommendation of one of the senior dancers who had). The critic wrote something to the effect of, "would that the repertory had some ballets that Frank Andersen had never seen!" (he wasn't a fan)

I have seen the triple bill three times. I am still trying to decide what I think about it, and might put out there that I most likely would have much more of an appreciation for each of the ballets were they not in the same evening. At the end of the evening, it is difficult to come out with anything distinctive to say between the three. Barring that, there is a linking theme with exploiting the body and the way that it moves. These are dances for athletes, not for slyphs, and that is exciting to watch (but at the same time, it is occasionally like sitting through the entire Tour de France---some bursts of energy and flair but alltogether a lot of bike riding). Oh dear, I think that I've already started offending people on day two of my membership. Eh.