This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Where to sleep in south Florida?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:58 AM

You might want to try the Naples Beach Resort and Golf Club.... it is on the ocean, with several onsight restaurants. However, it has been many years since I stayed there, so I can't guaratee what you might find. At the time when we stayed there, it was one of the only hotels in Naples. SOme of the rooms had kitchenettes, I remember. Otherwise, aside from the Registry and the other hotel you mentioned, you will find the usual assortment of major chains.

#17 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:12 PM

The worst night I've spent in a very long time I spent a few years ago in a high rise hotel overlooking a highway where heavy truck traffic by day gave way to motorcycles overnight, so I've been wary ever since about tall hotels within sight of a busy road. All the same, I'll check out the Fontainbleau, Holiday Inn, Palms, Roney, and Townhouse, all on busy Collins Avenue, in due course, though. Thanks, Karen, PK, and Vicarmac for your suggestions.

Meanwhile, in Miami Beach, I stayed in the Crest, on James Avenue, which is about two blocks east of the Jackie Gleason Theatre, between Washington and Collins. I think it's attractive and reasonable, and the front-desk clerks seem pretty candid about which locations in the two adjacent buildings are quiet. The rooms actually look like what you can see on their website, at http://www.cresthotel.com. (The same people run the South Beach, just east of the Abbey, on 21st Street, also attractive and reasonable, but the suites there are exposed to squealing tires from the parking garage immediately south.)

As for Naples, thanks, leibling, for your suggestion, but it turned out to be pricey and, well, awesome, to my taste, at over 100 acres! And mostly, the buildings are midrise. But you're right, they do have kitchenettes. The time being short, I decided to forgo the kitchenette, and I wound up four miles north of the Naples Philharmonic Center in the Vanderbilt Inn, a two-story hotel surrounded by Gulf beach, state park, high-rise condos on a large site, and a lightly-traveled street. There's tolerable food on the premises, but I want to recommend nearby Randy's Fishmarket Restaurant at 10395 US 41 N. for good food and nice folks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):