This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Balanchine Centennial around NYC

As posted in the links area, the NY Times did their fall preview, which included mentioning info. about Balanchine Centennial celebrations, other than what NYCB and other ballet companies are doing. The article said: "Balanchine's work processes and early archival history will be probed in events next year in New York City at the Guggenheim Museum, the Museum of Television and Radio, the New York Public Library, Symphony Space, the Manhattan School of Music and a city park, as well as on the PBS "American Masters" television series. There will also be events at Harvard University and the San Francisco Performing Arts Library, and at least 20 American ballet companies will present tribute performances. www.balanchine.org "

Does anyone know anything more about these? I may have missed an earlier thread on this (I did try doing a search to see if I missed on). The Balanchine site doesn't seem to have more info. I'm a member of the Museum of TV and Radio, so will get their mailings when such events will happen there (nothing yet). But, was curious if any of the other org's have issued releases about their Balanchine Centennial involvement.

Thanks.

-amanda

Amanda, I don't have any more information except that there will be a program at the Guggenheim (with Nancy Reynolds) that's apparently already sold out.

I've heard from several people who subscribe to this or that series about a program. Perhaps if we pool our resources we can put together a list. Anyone with information, please post it.

The event at Symphony Space is as follows:

Wall to Wall George Balanchine

This year’s free 12-hour marathon "gift to the City of New York" from Symphony Space will break new ground in our 33-year history of free Wall to Wall concerts. It will focus on one of the great geniuses of the 20th century, who expressed his musicality by creating a new American school of ballet, collaborating with composers from Igor Stravinsky to Richard Rodgers, and building the New York City Ballet, one of New York City’s premiere arts organizations. The day-long program on Saturday, March 20th, from 11am to 11pm, will include performance of Balanchine classics by members of New York City Ballet and other Balanchine-influenced companies, as well as by students of the School of American Ballet, founded by Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein. Rare video archives of great Balanchine works in rehearsal and performance will be seen, introduced by great dancers of the Company’s history, including Merrill Ashley, Suzanne Farrell, Peter Martins, and Maria Tallchief. Experts will discuss, with dancers illustrating Balanchine’s work with Stravinsky and other collaborators. Wall to Wall George Balanchine is, as always, FREE!

Tickets Not Required. Symphony Space members receive priority admission.

Tickets: FREE! No tickets necessary

Venue: Peter Jay Sharp Theatre

Mar 20, 2004, 11:00am

Amanda, the Guggenheim event -- which according to the museum's website (and as Alexandra has already posted) is already sold out -- sounds really nice. But sometimes there are last-minute returned tickets; these two dates (November 16 and 17) may be worth the effort though. Fred Franklin and Maria Talchief are re-creating Balanchine's lost choreography to Mozartiana and Baiser de la Fee using Hubbe and other NYCB dancers. The tickets are not pricey ($18). I'm particularly looking forward to it because of the Baiser de la Fee, which is one of my favorite ballets and which sadly is not being done during the Balanchine Centennial at NYCB. (Boo hoo, but that's another story. . .)

I will be there on November 16, and I hope there are other Ballet Alertniks there too.

Oh--how I would love to see that Guggenheim show! I haven't given up yet on seeing it--I am trying other devious ways B) I don't know if the 1944 version I know is the same as 1933. There are many kudos out there for the present version, and especially Farrell's performance. While I do (and did) admire her in the role, I was always a bit disappointed in the present ending. I missed the final PDD with Danilova and Franklin--who depicted the witticism of the music so well.

I'll be adding items as I receive confirmation.

At the Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center Plaza:

The Enduring Legacy of George Balanchine

Dates: 12/3/03 - 4/24/04

Description:

Active at every level of instruction and performance, George Balanchine nourished the performers, teachers, and students who shaped the future of ballet in New York and across the United States. In celebration of the centennial of Balanchine’s birth and in recognition of his profound impact on New York City, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts will present this multimedia exhibition of photographs, designs, manuscript music and correspondence, costumes, set pieces, and models. Visitors will gain new insights from excerpts from oral histories of Balanchine dancers and from videotaped performances and rehearsals.

http://www2.nypl.org/home/research/calenda...desc.cfm?id=335

And a TV alert from nycballet.com:

New York City Ballet's Balanchine 100: The Centennial Celebration will be featured on CBS Sunday Morning this Sunday, September 14. The show airs on the CBS network and can be seen from 9:00-10:30am (EDT) on Channel 2 in the New York metropolitan area. Check local listings for air time and channel in your part of the country.

The company also has released its seminar schedule:

SAVE THE DATES: NYCB 2003/04 SEMINARS

New York City Ballet’s 2003/04 Seminar Series will focus entirely on the life and work of George Balanchine. Colleagues, dancers and authors with whom Mr. B worked will join NYCB throughout the Balanchine 100: Centennial Celebration year to reflect on the many personal and professional contributions he made throughout his lifetime. Each seminar will reveal a unique facet of Balanchine’s influence which not only shaped a century of dance but many of the great artists of the 20th century. Plan now to be with us on these five remarkable occasions at the New York State Theater at Lincoln Center (63rd Street & Columbus Avenue ). Times to be announced. General Admission: $5.00. Admission is free to NYCB Guild, Dancers Circle, Family Circle, New Combinations Fund, Society in C members, and corporate and foundation donors. The schedule, to date, is posted below. Check this space periodically for time and updates on panel participants.

January 12, 2004

Balanchine’s Early Years

Guest: Bernard Taper

Moderator: Joan Quatrano

February 2, 2004

Balanchine & Ballet Technique

Panel: Merrill Ashley, Kay Mazzo, Suki Schorer

Moderator: TBA

February 23, 2004

Balanchine’s Men

Panel: Arthur Mitchell, Helgi Tomasson, Edward Villella

Moderator: Violette Verdy

May 10, 2004

Balanchine’s Women

Panel: Karin von Aroldingen, Merrill Ashley, Melissa Hayden, Allegra Kent

Moderator: Jacques d’Amboise

May 17, 2004

Balanchine’s Music

Panel: TBA

Moderator: TBA

Two events at Harvard:

Ballerina: SUZANNE FARRELL

In honor of ballet master George Balanchine's centennial year, former Balanchine principal dancer Suzanne Farrell will participate in several events co-sponsored by Learning From Performers and the OFA Dance Program in April.

Thursday, April 15 (evening lecture)

Friday, April 16 (master class)

Times TBD

http://140.247.118.196/lfp/

And at the Museum of Television&Radio:

A Celebration of George Balanchine: Selected Television Work

December 6 to March 1, 2004

New York and Los Angeles

Screening times TBA

The Museum will celebrate the centennial of choreographer George Balanchine's birth with a three month-screening series. Included in the screenings will be such signature Balanchine works as Apollo, Serenade,

Prodigal Son, Concerto Barocco, Liebeslieder Waltzes, Stars and Stripes, Western Symphony, Who Cares?, and Jewels. Also included will be the 1956 NBC Opera Theatre production of The Magic Flute; the 1958 Playhouse 90 adaptation of The Nutcracker (in which Balanchine portrays Herr Drosselmeyer); and the 1966 NET program U.S.A. Dance--New York City Ballet, which includes excerpts from Agon, Tarantella, Meditation, and Grand Pas de Deux and a discussion with Balanchine and company members Arthur Mitchell, Suzanne Farrell, Patricia McBride, Edward Villella, Jacques d'Amboise, and Melissa Hayden.

:P Okay. :( Time to take out a membership in Museum of Television and Radio for me!

I saw two or three presentations way back when, when the Museum was still at its original location and Balanchine may even have been alive. The chance to see some of those rare films/videos is too, too enticing. :wub:

Thanks, Dale. :wub:

Many events are taking place later in 2004, but I am confirming as I go.

I just spoke to the folks at American Masters, who were eager to tell me they are rebroadcasting the 1984 production of Balanchine I&II. The date was only confirmed as "in January."

When it was originally broadcast (2 hours), the contents included:

Part I (60 min.) Excerpts from: Apollo (1 min.): Peter Martins, d'Amboise, Youskevitch, Lew Christensen in different productions. -- Apollo (3 1/2 min.): Farrell and Martins pas de deux. -- Prodigal son (4 min.): Baryshnikov in performance and with Balanchine in rehearsal. -- Dark red roses (1 min.): Balanchine dancing in the first British talking film. -- Cotillon (1 min.). -- Serenade (4 min.). -- Carmen, The bat, and Card game at the Met (1 min.). -- Vera Zorina in film clips from I married an angel, I was an adventuress (fantasy version of Swan lake with Balanchine in cameo), and On your toes (Slaughter on Tenth Avenue with Eddie Albert) (5 1/2 min.). -- Four temperaments (2 min.): Bart Cook in Melancholic section. -- Concerto barocco (1 1/2 min.): Diana Adams and Leclercq. -- Orpheus (1 1/2 min.): Magallanes, Moncion, and Verdy. -- Symphony in C (1 min.): corps of the New York City Ballet in debut performance. -- Eglevsky and Adams on Ed Sullivan show (fragment). -- Balanchine as Drosselmeyer in the Nutcracker (1 1/2 min.). -- Western symphony (2 min.): Leclercq and d'Amboise. -- Ivesiana (2 min.): Suki Schorer and Deni Lamont in the Unanswered question section. -- Square dance (1 min.): Patricia Wilde. -- Leclercq in La valse and in Concertino with Adams and Eglevsky (1 min.). -- Stars and stripes (1 1/2 min.): McBride and d'Amboise. -- Part II (60 min.): Excerpts from: Chaconne (2 min.): Farrell

and Martins pas de deux. -- Apollo (1 1/2 min.): d'Amboise, Farrell, Govrin and Patricia Neary. -- Agon (2 min.): Adams and Mitchell. -- Ballet imperial and La source (fragments). -- Scotch symphony (1 1/2 min.): Maria Tallchief and Eglevsky. -- La valse, Concerto barocco, El?gie, Ivesiana, Divertimento no. 15, Who cares?, Four temperaments, Ballo della regina, Symphony op. 21 (Episodes) (fragments). -- Symphony in C (2 min.): Kent and Ludlow. -- Movements for piano and orchestra (1 min.): Farrell and d'Amboise. -- Liebeslieder Walzer (2 min.): Jillana and Ludlow. -- Midsummer night's dream (2 min.): Farrell and Richard Rapp. -- Figure in the carpet (1 min.): Diana Adams. -- Balanchine in studio choreographing to Yankee doodle dandy for television (2 1/2 min.). -- Who cares? (fragment): Karin von Aroldingen solo. -- Tzigane (1 1/2 min.): Farrell. -- Pas de deux [1960] (4 min.): shows various casts doing same or sequential parts. -- Ballo della regina (1 min.): Merrill Ashley. -- Jewels (4 min.): Farrell and Martins in Diamonds section. -- Balanchine and Robbins dancing together on stage in fragment from Pulcinella. -- Balustrade (fragment). -- Violin concerto (2 1/2 min.): Mazzo, Martins and group. -- Robert Schumann's Davidsb?ndlert?nze (2 min.): Farrell and d'Amboise. -- Apollo (3 min.): Martins.

I don't know the status, but I checked the USPS web site, and couldn't find any mention of a Balanchine stamp. Whether it's still planned -- and 2004 would be the obvious time for it -- or whether it didn't get enough votes and couldn't compete with Donald Duck or The Maytag Repairman as an American icon, I can't say. (Not suggesting that either of those are going to be stamps either...)

The United States Post Office will release a series in 2004 called, "American Choreographers," while will include Balanchine, Ailey, Graham and De Mille.

I think Mr. B would be proud, as he will be honored as an American, which he was very happy to be.

One of the things we were asked to stress in our letters to the Postal Service was Mr. B's accomplishments as an American choreographer. It seems we succeeded too well. While I agree that this honor would have pleased him, the point of the stamp was to observe his centennial, and this aspect has been lost. Nevertheless, Graham, Ailey, and De Mille are infinitely worthier of Balanchine's company than some of the participants in NYCB's "Centennial Celebration."

Another confirmation - The Film Society of Lincoln Center at Walter Reade Theater will hold a two-day "centenary celebration in song and dance on film and video," called "Popular Balanchine x 2; Balanchine on Broadway and Balanchine in Hollywood." There will be two separate presentations on Monday evenings Sept. 13 and Sept. 20, 2004) [There's the possibility of two more dates of seminars] I was told the 13th will be Balanchine on Broadway with several hosts, the 20th will be Balanchine in Hollywood with 1 host. The panel presenters will be among those who participated in The George Balanchine Foundation's Popular Balanchine research project.

From the Balanchine Foundation:

THE GEORGE BALANCHINE FOUNDATION

AND

THE GEORGE BALANCHINE TRUST

SALUTE

GEORGE BALANCHINE’S CENTENNIAL YEAR

1904 - 2004

Ballet Companies and Cultural Organizations in New York City and Around The World Honor the 20th Century’s Most Influential Ballet Choreographer in Performance and Special Programs

THE GEORGE BALANCHINE CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

New York City - Beginning this fall 2003 and extending throughout calendar year 2004, the world will honor the genius of George Balanchine and will pay tribute to his lasting contributions as it celebrates the Centennial of his birth. The George Balanchine Foundation and The George Balanchine Trust salute Balanchine’s Centennial year by acknowledging the many ballet companies and organizations who will honor his artistry, and by collaborating on special celebratory programs.

Balanchine’s contributions to dance encompassed hundreds of ballet works, many of which are recognized as masterpieces of the twentieth century. His vast repertory of works is unparalleled in the history of dance. During the Centennial celebration, over 60 dance companies around the globe will perform his ballets. Major United States dance companies, including those in Cincinnati, Columbus, Houston, Miami, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington. D.C., and international cities such as Amsterdam, Helsinki, London, Moscow, Paris, St. Petersburg, Stuttgart, Toronto, Zurich and numerous others will all honor Balanchine by presenting his ballets. (Full list attached – as of 9/5/03).

Balanchine changed classical ballet, and in doing so he changed the history of modern culture. He founded two American cultural institutions, The School of American Ballet and New York City Ballet, and is credited with having a profound influence on the cultural history of New York City. His contributions to dance are directly responsible for developing and solidifying the art form’s place in American society and establishing ballet as a twentieth century art form.

For the Centennial, in addition to ballet performances, Balanchine’s varied contributions will be highlighted by numerous organizations across the United States and around the world. These organizations include renowned museums, large libraries, performing arts presenters, governmental agencies, and significant universities. Considered one of the great artists of our time, these programs will illustrate Balanchine’s work in such areas as his teaching methods, his choreographic process, his significant musical influence in the twentieth century, and his work on Broadway, in film, and in television - all of which helped to sculpt our cultural history.

The George Balanchine Foundation will provide Centennial updates as programs and performances are created. Information is also available on The Foundation’s web site at www.balanchine.org.

The George Balanchine Foundation was incorporated in 1983 as a not-for-profit organization, five months after the death of Mr. Balanchine. The mission of The Foundation is to utilize the Balanchine legacy to advance the development of dance and its allied arts in the United States and throughout the world on behalf of the dance community at large. This goal is pursued through a broad range of activities and programs, including concentrated research, ballet reconstructions, publications, lecture and videos, and other innovative projects.

The George Balanchine Trust was formed in 1987 to facilitate the licensing of George Balanchine’s works, trademarks and service marks throughout the world. The Trust endeavors to preserve the artistic integrity of the works by providing Balanchine -trained repetiteurs to stage his ballets for qualified companies and by requiring periodic reviews of the productions. The Trust further seeks to foster general public awareness and understanding of Mr. Balanchine’s repertory and teaching.

THE GEORGE BALANCHINE CENTENNIAL

1904 - 2004

Special Presentations, Programs, Symposiums and Exhibitions

(As of 9/18/03)

Centennial Television & Film Presentations

• The Museum of Television & Radio

“A Celebration of George Balanchine: Selected Television Work”

December 5, 2003 to March 7, 2004

New York & Los Angeles

A three-month series of screenings of rare and well known television productions that Balanchine participated in and contributed to. Included in the screenings will be such signature works as Apollo, Serenade, Prodigal Son, Concerto Barocco, Liebeslieder Walzer, Stars and Stripes, Western Symphony, Who Cares?, and Jewels. Also included will be the 1956 NBC Opera Theatre production of The Magic Flute; the 1958 Playhouse 90 adaptation of The Nutcracker (in which Balanchine portrays Herr Drosselmeyer), and the 1966 NET program U.S.A. Dance – New York City Ballet, which includes a discussion with George Balanchine and then company members Arthur Mitchell, Suzanne Farrell, Patricia McBride, Edward Villella, Jacques d’Amboise and Melissa Hayden.

The Museum of Television & Radio

25 West 52 Street

New York, NY 10019

465 North Beverly Drive

Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Further information:

Loretta Ramos, Manager, Public Relations – 212-621-6785

lramos@mtr.org

www.mtr.org

• George Balanchine Television Documentary – American Masters Balanchine

American Masters is produced for PBS by Thirteen/WNET New York - Airing January 2004

(The documentary was aired originally in 1984 on PBS, and on BBC (Europe) in 1985).

A two-part documentary, made soon after Balanchine’s death, focusing on his life and work. Included is extensive footage of Balanchine and generous excerpts from many of his ballets.

Further information:

Matt Baumoel – 212-560-3118

baumoelm@thirteen.org

Centennial Presentations and Programs

• “Works & Process” at the Guggenheim Museum

In collaboration with The George Balanchine Foundation, Works &Process presents a four-part program focusing on specific seminal works by Balanchine and highlighting The Foundation’s video archive series. Original creators of well-known principal roles will coach excerpts on dancers of today. Each program will include a moderated discussion.

- Balanchine’s Lost Choreography

November 16 & 17, 2003 – 8 PM

These evenings feature excerpts from two Balanchine ballets long believed lost: the Fortune-Telling pas de deux from his original version of Le Baiser de la Fйe (1937), as recreated and coached by Maria Tallchief, and the Adagio from his original Mozartiana (1933), as recreated by Frederic Franklin. New York City Ballet Principal dancer Nikolaj Hьbbe and NYCB’s Carla Kцrbes are scheduled to perform. Dance scholar Nancy Reynolds leads a discussion with Ms. Tallchief and Mr. Franklin filled with personal reminiscences of Mr. “B” and his work.

- Balanchine’s Early Works January 25 & 26, 2004

- Balanchine’s Middle Years March 7 & 8, 2004

- Balanchine’s Late Works April 18 & 19, 2004

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum

1071 Fifth Avenue (at 89th Street)

New York, NY 10028

Further information:

Manuel R. Rodriguez, Associate Producer – 212-758-0047

Manny.Rodriguez@verizon.net

www.worksandprocess.com

• Symphony Space

“Wall-To-Wall George Balanchine”

Saturday, March 20, 2004

11 AM – 11 PM (Free to the public)

For the first time ever since its inaugural year in 1978, “Wall-To-Wall” will focus on a choreographer, who was also a great figure in music history. As part of the celebration of Balanchine’s Centennial, “Wall-To-Wall George Balanchine” will explore the artist’s work with a cast of distinguished guests in a twelve-hour non-stop program of dance, video, panel discussions, film excerpts, teaching demonstrations, and the memories of many who worked with George Balanchine.

Symphony Space

2537 Broadway (at 95th Street)

New York, NY 10025-6947

Further information:

Jill Meisner

Jill@rosengrouppr.com

Zachary Hastings Hooper - 212-255-8455

Zachary@rosengrouppr.com

www.symphonyspace.org

• City Parks Foundation’s Central Park “SummerStage”

Summer 2004 – two performances

Central Park SummerStage, a program of City Parks Foundation, presents two free performances in Summer 2004 which will feature dancers from American Ballet Theatre, Dance Theater of Harlem and New York City Ballet performing Balanchine repertoire.

SummerStage – Central Park (Entrance: 69th Street & 5th Avenue)

New York, NY

Further information:

Debbie Ferraro, Director of Marketing and Public Relations,

City Parks Foundation - 212-360-8162

Dferraro@cityparksfoundation.org

www.SummerStage.org

• Film Society of Lincoln Center – Walter Reade Theater

September, 2004

The Film Society of Lincoln Center will present one or two programs that will reflect Balanchine’s work on Broadway and in Hollywood in a centenary celebration of song and dance.

Walter Reade Theater

Lincoln Center Plaza

New York, NY 10023

Further information:

Joanna Ney, Director, Public Relations; Producer: Special Programs

212-875-5403

jney@filmlinc.com

• Manhattan School of Music

“Symposium: Balanchine the Musician”

Fall 2004

A three-part program focusing on Balanchine’s contributions to the music world, his collaborations with composers and his knowledge of the art form.

- Part one: Screening of “Music Dances: Balanchine Choreographs Stravinsky”

Concert performance by student orchestra to music from Apollo, Agon and Orpheus

- Part two: Panel discussion with musicians, conductors and a pianist (participants to be announced at a later date)

- Part three: Lecture/demonstration of Stravinsky Violin Concerto and possibly Concerto Barocco

Further information:

Susan Blumstein, Vice President External Affairs

212-749-2802, x 4537

sblumstein@msmnyc.edu

www.msmnyc.edu

Seminars & Symposiums

• University of Michigan

“From the Mariinsky to Manhattan: George Balanchine and The transformation of American Dance”

October 31 – November 1, 2003

As part of the University of Michigan’s Celebrating St. Petersburg Festival, the Center for Russian and East European Studies and Department of Dance present a public symposium dedicated to St. Petersburg ballet and the legacy of George Balanchine.

Rackman Auditorium, Rackham Building

915 East Washington

Ann Arbor, Michigan

Further information:

U-M Center for Russian and East European Studies – 734-764-0351

crees@umich.edu

www.umich.edu/stpetersburg/

• New York City Ballet

“Balanchine 100: The Centennial Celebration”

During its 2004 winter and spring performance seasons, NYCB will present pre-performance Ballet Insights and Family Insights discussions, as well as Centennial Celebration seminars on select Monday evenings throughout both seasons. Topics will include various aspects of Balanchine’s creative life; dates and speakers for these presentations will be announced at a later date.

New York State Theater

20 Lincoln Center Plaza

New York, NY 10023

Further information: Robert Daniels – 212-870-4083

rdaniels@nycballet.com

• The Museum of Television & Radio

“A Celebration of George Balanchine”

Tuesday, January 20, 2004 (evening)

In conjunction with the three-month series of screenings entitled “A Celebration of George Balanchine: Selected Television Work,” The Museum will present a symposium which will highlight and provide discussion on Balanchine’s work with the medium of television. Confirmed participants to date include: Suzanne Farrell, former principal dancer with New York City Ballet; Barbara Horgan , Trustee-General Director of The George Balanchine Trust and Chairman of The George Balanchine Foundation, and John Goberman, Executive Producer, Television for Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc.

25 West 52 Street

New York, NY 10019

Further information:

Loretta Ramos, Manager, Public Relations – 212-621-6785

lramos@mtr.org

www.mtr.org

• The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

January – March 2004 (Admission is free)

In conjunction with an exhibition on George Balanchine, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts will present a series of four lectures.

- Constance Valis Hill January 2004

Focusing on the collaboration between George Balanchine and Vernon Duke on the Broadway Musical “Cabin in the Sky”

- Lynn Garafola February 21, 2004

Focusing on Balanchine and his work in Paris

- Nancy Reynolds February 26, 2004

Focusing on Balanchine’s work in the 1940s

- Charles Joseph March 4, 2004

Focusing on Balanchine’s musicality and his collaborations with Igor Stravinsky

Bruno Walter Auditorium

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center

40 Lincoln Center Plaza

New York, NY 10023-7498

Ph: 212-642-0142

Further information:

Rima Corben – 212-704-8600

rcorben@nypl.org

• San Francisco Performing Arts Library & Museum (SFPALM)

“George Balanchine: Ballet Master”

Throughout the run of SFPALM’s exhibition (January 22 – June 19, 2004), the Performing Arts Library will present a number of related public programs, including conversations with notable artists who worked with Balanchine, panel discussions, and rare video screenings.

San Francisco Performing Arts Library & Museum

401 Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor

San Francisco, CA 94102

Further information:

Brad Rosenstein, Director of Programs & Education

415-255-4800 x 817

bradr@sfpalm.org

www.sfpalm.org

• San Francisco Ballet

“Balanchine Festival”

March 19 & 20, 2004

San Francisco Ballet will present two pre-performance symposiums prior to opening night of each of the Company’s tribute Balanchine programs. Participants in the symposiums will be dancers who worked directly with Mr. Balanchine.

War Memorial Opera House

301 Van Ness Avenue at Grove Street

San Francisco, CA

Further information:

Kyra Jablonsky, Public Relations Manager – 415-553-4667

kjablonsky@sfballet.org

• Harvard University

In conjunction with the Harvard Theatre Collection Balanchine exhibit (April 13 – May 31, 2004), Harvard University will host a two-day symposium in mid-April. Participants will include leading scholars, journalists and writers, and dancers. It is expected that the program will also include film viewings and teaching demonstrations.

Harvard University

Cambridge, Massachusetts

Further information:

Kathleen Coleman – 617-495-2445

htc@harvard.edu

• “Words On Dance” – San Francisco

April 19, 2004 – 7:30 PM

In its tenth year of presenting on-stage conversations with eminent dancers, “Words On Dance” will present a program celebrating Balanchine’s Centennial through conversation with three dancers who worked directly with George Balanchine: Maria Tallchief, teacher and former principal dancer with New York City Ballet, Merrill Ashley, teacher and former principal dancer of New York City Ballet, and Helgi Tomasson, Artistic Director of San Francisco Ballet and former principal dancer of New York City Ballet. The evening will be moderated by Mikko Nissinen, Artistic Director of Boston Ballet. The artists will discuss the ballets Mr. Balanchine created for them, and the artistic traditions they continue to deliver to generations that follow. The conversation will also highlight how Balanchine’s works have endured, and the importance of each artist’s method of interpretation. A special screening will be produced for this program.

Herbst Theater – San Francisco

Further information:

Deborah DuBowy, Producer - 415-731-0103

Wodance@aol.com

Centennial Exhibitions

• The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

“The Enduring Legacy of George Balanchine”

December 3, 2003 – April 24, 2004 (Admission is free)

In celebration of the Centennial of Balanchine’s birth and in recognition of his profound impact on New York City, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts will present a multimedia exhibition of photographs, designs, manuscript music and correspondence, costumes, set pieces and models. Visitors will be able to gain new insights about Balanchine from excerpts from oral histories of dancers and videotaped performances and rehearsals.

Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts

Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center

40 Lincoln Center Plaza

New York, NY 10023-7498

Ph: 212-870-1630

Further information:

Rima Corben – 212-704-8600

rcorben@nypl.org

• New York City Ballet

“Balanchine 100 Centennial Exhibition”

January 6 – February 29, 2004; April 27 – June 27, 2004

New York City Ballet will produce a special exhibit which will be on display during the Company’s 2004 winter and spring performance seasons. Curated by Edward Bigelow, who worked with Balanchine throughout much of his career in America, NYCB will present a theater-wide exhibit which will explore Balanchine’s life and work through photographs, costumes, artifacts, and other ephemera. A limited edition catalogue will accompany the exhibition.

New York State Theater

20 Lincoln Center Plaza

New York, NY 10023

Further Information:

Robert Daniels – 212-870-4083

rdaniels@nycballet.com

• San Francisco Performing Arts Library & Museum (SFPALM)

“George Balanchine: Ballet Master” – A Centennial Exhibition

January 23 – June 19, 2004

Gala Opening Reception – January 22, 2004

“George Balanchine: Ballet Master” will offer a comprehensive survey of Balanchine’s life and work, including the enormous and lasting impact he has had on the West Coast and on San Francisco in particular. Curated by Sheryl Flatow, photographs, posters, programs, correspondence, newspaper clippings, audio and video excerpts, and other rare memorabilia will tell the story of Balanchine’s importance and influence in the twentieth century.

Further information:

Brad Rosenstein, Director of Programs & Education

415-255-4800 x 817

bradr@sfpalm.org

www.sfpalm.org

• Harvard University

April 13 – May 31, 2004

An exhibition devoted to Balanchine and his legacy, drawn from the holdings of the Harvard Theatre Collection, including the George Balanchine Archive.

Harvard Theater Collection

Nathan Marsh Pusey Library

Harvard University

Cambridge, Massachusetts

Further information:

Kathleen Coleman – 617-495-2445

htc@harvard.edu

• Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art

“Isadora to Balanchine: Celebrating Dance at the Wadsworth Atheneum”

September 2004 – January 2005

In 1933, the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art and its legendary director A. Everett “Chick” Austin sponsored the immigration of George Balanchine to America and acquired from Serge Lifar an unrivaled collection of set and costume designs from Serge Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes. In 1934, the museum presented the first public performances of the School of American Ballet’s producing company. The collections and archives of the Wadsworth Antheneum yield many treasures, including Lincoln Kirstein’s famous letter that resulted in Balanchine’s arrival in America.

Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art

600 Main Street

Hartford, CT 06103

Further information:

Susan Hood, Media Relations Managers

860-838-4058

susan.hood@wadsworthatheneum.org

www.wadsworthatheneum.org

Other

• United States Postal Service – American Choreographers Commemorative Stamps

Block of 4 stamps/Sheet of 20 stamps

Release date 2004

This marks the first time the USPS has honored choreographers. The American Choreographers commemorative stamps honor George Balanchine, Martha Graham, Agnes De Mille and Alvin Ailey, four masters who elevated the art of dance in America.

Further information:

Cynthia Puryear, Manager of Community Relations – 202-268-8566

cynthia.p.puryear@usps.gov