• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 12:32 PM

As posted in the links area, the NY Times did their fall preview, which included mentioning info. about Balanchine Centennial celebrations, other than what NYCB and other ballet companies are doing. The article said: "Balanchine's work processes and early archival history will be probed in events next year in New York City at the Guggenheim Museum, the Museum of Television and Radio, the New York Public Library, Symphony Space, the Manhattan School of Music and a city park, as well as on the PBS "American Masters" television series. There will also be events at Harvard University and the San Francisco Performing Arts Library, and at least 20 American ballet companies will present tribute performances. www.balanchine.org "

Does anyone know anything more about these? I may have missed an earlier thread on this (I did try doing a search to see if I missed on). The Balanchine site doesn't seem to have more info. I'm a member of the Museum of TV and Radio, so will get their mailings when such events will happen there (nothing yet). But, was curious if any of the other org's have issued releases about their Balanchine Centennial involvement.

Thanks.
-amanda

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 10:34 PM

University of Michigan is hosting a symposium. Looks fascinating.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 07:04 AM

Amanda, I don't have any more information except that there will be a program at the Guggenheim (with Nancy Reynolds) that's apparently already sold out.

I've heard from several people who subscribe to this or that series about a program. Perhaps if we pool our resources we can put together a list. Anyone with information, please post it.

#4 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 09:06 AM

The event at Symphony Space is as follows:

Wall to Wall George Balanchine

This year’s free 12-hour marathon "gift to the City of New York" from Symphony Space will break new ground in our 33-year history of free Wall to Wall concerts. It will focus on one of the great geniuses of the 20th century, who expressed his musicality by creating a new American school of ballet, collaborating with composers from Igor Stravinsky to Richard Rodgers, and building the New York City Ballet, one of New York City’s premiere arts organizations. The day-long program on Saturday, March 20th, from 11am to 11pm, will include performance of Balanchine classics by members of New York City Ballet and other Balanchine-influenced companies, as well as by students of the School of American Ballet, founded by Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein. Rare video archives of great Balanchine works in rehearsal and performance will be seen, introduced by great dancers of the Company’s history, including Merrill Ashley, Suzanne Farrell, Peter Martins, and Maria Tallchief. Experts will discuss, with dancers illustrating Balanchine’s work with Stravinsky and other collaborators. Wall to Wall George Balanchine is, as always, FREE!

Tickets Not Required. Symphony Space members receive priority admission.

Tickets: FREE! No tickets necessary
Venue: Peter Jay Sharp Theatre

Mar 20, 2004, 11:00am

#5 bobbi

bobbi

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 03:18 PM

Amanda, the Guggenheim event -- which according to the museum's website (and as Alexandra has already posted) is already sold out -- sounds really nice. But sometimes there are last-minute returned tickets; these two dates (November 16 and 17) may be worth the effort though. Fred Franklin and Maria Talchief are re-creating Balanchine's lost choreography to Mozartiana and Baiser de la Fee using Hubbe and other NYCB dancers. The tickets are not pricey ($18). I'm particularly looking forward to it because of the Baiser de la Fee, which is one of my favorite ballets and which sadly is not being done during the Balanchine Centennial at NYCB. (Boo hoo, but that's another story. . .)

I will be there on November 16, and I hope there are other Ballet Alertniks there too.

#6 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:43 AM

Oh--how I would love to see that Guggenheim show! I haven't given up yet on seeing it--I am trying other devious ways B) I don't know if the 1944 version I know is the same as 1933. There are many kudos out there for the present version, and especially Farrell's performance. While I do (and did) admire her in the role, I was always a bit disappointed in the present ending. I missed the final PDD with Danilova and Franklin--who depicted the witticism of the music so well.

#7 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 06:30 PM

Don't lose heart yet about the Guggenheim. Our program there was also "sold out" - and there were tickets available at the door.

#8 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 07:23 PM

I'll be adding items as I receive confirmation.

At the Donald and Mary Oenslager Gallery, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center Plaza:

The Enduring Legacy of George Balanchine
Dates: 12/3/03 - 4/24/04
Description:

Active at every level of instruction and performance, George Balanchine nourished the performers, teachers, and students who shaped the future of ballet in New York and across the United States. In celebration of the centennial of Balanchine’s birth and in recognition of his profound impact on New York City, The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts will present this multimedia exhibition of photographs, designs, manuscript music and correspondence, costumes, set pieces, and models. Visitors will gain new insights from excerpts from oral histories of Balanchine dancers and from videotaped performances and rehearsals.

http://www2.nypl.org...desc.cfm?id=335

And a TV alert from nycballet.com:

New York City Ballet's Balanchine 100: The Centennial Celebration will be featured on CBS Sunday Morning this Sunday, September 14. The show airs on the CBS network and can be seen from 9:00-10:30am (EDT) on Channel 2 in the New York metropolitan area. Check local listings for air time and channel in your part of the country.

The company also has released its seminar schedule:

SAVE THE DATES: NYCB 2003/04 SEMINARS
New York City Ballet’s 2003/04 Seminar Series will focus entirely on the life and work of George Balanchine. Colleagues, dancers and authors with whom Mr. B worked will join NYCB throughout the Balanchine 100: Centennial Celebration year to reflect on the many personal and professional contributions he made throughout his lifetime. Each seminar will reveal a unique facet of Balanchine’s influence which not only shaped a century of dance but many of the great artists of the 20th century. Plan now to be with us on these five remarkable occasions at the New York State Theater at Lincoln Center (63rd Street & Columbus Avenue ). Times to be announced. General Admission: $5.00. Admission is free to NYCB Guild, Dancers Circle, Family Circle, New Combinations Fund, Society in C members, and corporate and foundation donors. The schedule, to date, is posted below. Check this space periodically for time and updates on panel participants.

January 12, 2004
Balanchine’s Early Years
Guest: Bernard Taper
Moderator: Joan Quatrano

February 2, 2004
Balanchine & Ballet Technique
Panel: Merrill Ashley, Kay Mazzo, Suki Schorer
Moderator: TBA

February 23, 2004
Balanchine’s Men
Panel: Arthur Mitchell, Helgi Tomasson, Edward Villella
Moderator: Violette Verdy

May 10, 2004
Balanchine’s Women
Panel: Karin von Aroldingen, Merrill Ashley, Melissa Hayden, Allegra Kent
Moderator: Jacques d’Amboise

May 17, 2004
Balanchine’s Music
Panel: TBA
Moderator: TBA

#9 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 07:30 PM

Two events at Harvard:

Ballerina: SUZANNE FARRELL
In honor of ballet master George Balanchine's centennial year, former Balanchine principal dancer Suzanne Farrell will participate in several events co-sponsored by Learning From Performers and the OFA Dance Program in April.

Thursday, April 15 (evening lecture)

Friday, April 16 (master class)

Times TBD

http://140.247.118.196/lfp/

And at the Museum of Television&Radio:

A Celebration of George Balanchine: Selected Television Work

December 6 to March 1, 2004

New York and Los Angeles

Screening times TBA

The Museum will celebrate the centennial of choreographer George Balanchine's birth with a three month-screening series. Included in the screenings will be such signature Balanchine works as Apollo, Serenade,

Prodigal Son, Concerto Barocco, Liebeslieder Waltzes, Stars and Stripes, Western Symphony, Who Cares?, and Jewels. Also included will be the 1956 NBC Opera Theatre production of The Magic Flute; the 1958 Playhouse 90 adaptation of The Nutcracker (in which Balanchine portrays Herr Drosselmeyer); and the 1966 NET program U.S.A. Dance--New York City Ballet, which includes excerpts from Agon, Tarantella, Meditation, and Grand Pas de Deux and a discussion with Balanchine and company members Arthur Mitchell, Suzanne Farrell, Patricia McBride, Edward Villella, Jacques d'Amboise, and Melissa Hayden.

#10 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:05 PM

:P Okay. :( Time to take out a membership in Museum of Television and Radio for me!

I saw two or three presentations way back when, when the Museum was still at its original location and Balanchine may even have been alive. The chance to see some of those rare films/videos is too, too enticing. :wub:

Thanks, Dale. :wub:

#11 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:49 AM

Many events are taking place later in 2004, but I am confirming as I go.

I just spoke to the folks at American Masters, who were eager to tell me they are rebroadcasting the 1984 production of Balanchine I&II. The date was only confirmed as "in January."

When it was originally broadcast (2 hours), the contents included:

Part I (60 min.) Excerpts from: Apollo (1 min.): Peter Martins, d'Amboise, Youskevitch, Lew Christensen in different productions. -- Apollo (3 1/2 min.): Farrell and Martins pas de deux. -- Prodigal son (4 min.): Baryshnikov in performance and with Balanchine in rehearsal. -- Dark red roses (1 min.): Balanchine dancing in the first British talking film. -- Cotillon (1 min.). -- Serenade (4 min.). -- Carmen, The bat, and Card game at the Met (1 min.). -- Vera Zorina in film clips from I married an angel, I was an adventuress (fantasy version of Swan lake with Balanchine in cameo), and On your toes (Slaughter on Tenth Avenue with Eddie Albert) (5 1/2 min.). -- Four temperaments (2 min.): Bart Cook in Melancholic section. -- Concerto barocco (1 1/2 min.): Diana Adams and Leclercq. -- Orpheus (1 1/2 min.): Magallanes, Moncion, and Verdy. -- Symphony in C (1 min.): corps of the New York City Ballet in debut performance. -- Eglevsky and Adams on Ed Sullivan show (fragment). -- Balanchine as Drosselmeyer in the Nutcracker (1 1/2 min.). -- Western symphony (2 min.): Leclercq and d'Amboise. -- Ivesiana (2 min.): Suki Schorer and Deni Lamont in the Unanswered question section. -- Square dance (1 min.): Patricia Wilde. -- Leclercq in La valse and in Concertino with Adams and Eglevsky (1 min.). -- Stars and stripes (1 1/2 min.): McBride and d'Amboise. -- Part II (60 min.): Excerpts from: Chaconne (2 min.): Farrell
and Martins pas de deux. -- Apollo (1 1/2 min.): d'Amboise, Farrell, Govrin and Patricia Neary. -- Agon (2 min.): Adams and Mitchell. -- Ballet imperial and La source (fragments). -- Scotch symphony (1 1/2 min.): Maria Tallchief and Eglevsky. -- La valse, Concerto barocco, El?gie, Ivesiana, Divertimento no. 15, Who cares?, Four temperaments, Ballo della regina, Symphony op. 21 (Episodes) (fragments). -- Symphony in C (2 min.): Kent and Ludlow. -- Movements for piano and orchestra (1 min.): Farrell and d'Amboise. -- Liebeslieder Walzer (2 min.): Jillana and Ludlow. -- Midsummer night's dream (2 min.): Farrell and Richard Rapp. -- Figure in the carpet (1 min.): Diana Adams. -- Balanchine in studio choreographing to Yankee doodle dandy for television (2 1/2 min.). -- Who cares? (fragment): Karin von Aroldingen solo. -- Tzigane (1 1/2 min.): Farrell. -- Pas de deux [1960] (4 min.): shows various casts doing same or sequential parts. -- Ballo della regina (1 min.): Merrill Ashley. -- Jewels (4 min.): Farrell and Martins in Diamonds section. -- Balanchine and Robbins dancing together on stage in fragment from Pulcinella. -- Balustrade (fragment). -- Violin concerto (2 1/2 min.): Mazzo, Martins and group. -- Robert Schumann's Davidsb?ndlert?nze (2 min.): Farrell and d'Amboise. -- Apollo (3 min.): Martins.

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for all of these, Dale -- and regarding Balanchine I and II, anyone who is curious about Balanchine should see this, and it's also a good opportunity for those who didn't have VCRs when it was first aired to make a tape. There are some wonderful performances on these tapes.

#13 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:13 AM

Just reading that list of names is thrilling. :thumbsup:

#14 driver of a dancer

driver of a dancer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:37 AM

Stamp
I know about 5 years ago ??? I was part of a letter writing campaign for a USPS stamp.
Does anyone know the status of that?

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:47 AM

I don't know the status, but I checked the USPS web site, and couldn't find any mention of a Balanchine stamp. Whether it's still planned -- and 2004 would be the obvious time for it -- or whether it didn't get enough votes and couldn't compete with Donald Duck or The Maytag Repairman as an American icon, I can't say. (Not suggesting that either of those are going to be stamps either...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):