This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mauricio Wainrot

Recently the national ballet of Uruguay premiered Wainrot's "Rite of Spring". According to the stage bill, this ballet was given its premiere by the Royal Ballet of Flanders. I found the choreographic rendering very powerful, and loved every inch of it.

Last year (2002) I saw another work by Wainrot danced by the Contemporary Ballet of the San Martin Theatre in Buenos Aires, where he is the director, I think. I saw "las 8 estaciones" (the score was a remastering of Piazolla's 4 Seasons and Vivaldi's 4 Seasons). I was astounded by the high levels of energy and technique demanded on the dancers by the chorographer. Maybe he tended to repeat himself after so many numbers, as he had sort of "run out of" choreographic ideas.

I would very much like to know what the opinion of the critics and the public has been on Wainrot's works.

silvy

Silvy, the Royal Ballet of Flanders has an extensive list of Maurizio Wainrot's choreographies in their repertoire. I can't say I have seen them all (!), but I agree with you on "Le Sacre du Printemps" (that's how we call it here), this is a very powerfull and impressive creation.

I can even say more : it's my favourite "Rite" :), the water-element in it is amazing and add to it's climax. We had some extremely moving performers for it too ! I say 'had' because half of the company seems to have changed now :-(

I haven't seen his "Eight Seasons" and wasn't impressed by "Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen" on music by Mahler.

His work is performed by companies as English National Ballet, Cincinnati Ballet, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, Ballet Florida, North Carolina Dance Theater, Juilliard Dance Ensemble, Bat Dor Dance Company in Israel, Hannover Opera and Wiesbaden Opera in Germanary, Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal, National Ballet of Mexico and Chili.

Thanks Vivianne for your most informative post!!!!

I agree with you on the power of the water element on "Rite". Also how the main characters were handled (the Chosen One, the Woman, the Man), and how their personalities are defined: a more experienced Woman as oposed to a naive girl as the Chosen one, on the threshold of womanhood.

silvy

Silvy, I searched in my programmebooks and can add the following :

Mauricio Wainrot was a dancer with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, The Teatro Municipal de Rio de Janeiro, the Ballet de Carnare in Caracas, Ballet Contemporaneo in Buenos Aires and the Grupo de Danza Contemporaneo at the Teatro San Martin.

From 1982 until 1985 he was artistic director of the Grupo de Danza Contemporaneo, where he created works like : Anne Frank, Libertango, Symphony of Psalms, Fiesta, Reflections, Three Argentine Dances.

Since 1986 he was invited by numerous European and American dancetroupes.

Royal Ballet of Flanders has the following ballets in their repertoire :

'Beyond Memory, 'Firebird', 'Messiah', 'Looking through Glass', 'Carmina Burana', 'Tango Fiesta', 'Lieder Eines Fahrenden Gesellen', 'Le Sacre du Printemps' and 'Eight Seasons'.

He is indeed, since 1999, artistic director of the Ballet Contemporaneo Teatro San Martin.

I've also read that he was a guestteacher at Béjart's Mudra-school in Brussels.

Agalie Van Damme was a great 'choosen one' and one of my favourite dancers at my home-company. Sadly I just heard she left for 'Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo', the same move Bernice Coppieters and Geneviève Van Quackebeke did before her !

oh, thanks SO MUCH for your post again, Vivianne!!!

This is off topic, but do you know of a ballet called "The Three Musketeers" which the Royal Ballet of Flanders danced some time ago? If so, whose is the choreography, and the music? Because I once took part in a production of a ballet called such, in a summer intensive course given by teachers of the Cuban ballet.

thanks so much!!!!!!

silvy

No thanks Silvy, I'm completely amazed that someone on this board already heard about the Royal Ballet of Flanders ! :ermm:

The ballet "The Three Musketeers" is choreographed by André Prokovsky on music by Giuseppe Verdi. Our company danced it in 1996 and 1998 and took it on tour to the USA some time ago (2 years ?) where they got positive reactions :(

The Royal Ballet of Flanders presents the premiere of another Wainrot creation on September 25 in Antwerp -"Journey" set to music by John Adams.

"Journey is part of a triple bill with "Circle of Fifths" from Christopher d'Amboise, created for New York City Ballet, and a creation by house choreographer Danny Rosseel called "Unveiled Senses".

Thanks Vivianne!!! Then this "Three Musketeers" is not the same ballet - the one I mentioned was choreographed to music by Mozart, and I think it was a joint creation of the Cuban ballet masters (headed by Laura Alonso).

Also thanks, Marc - I see that Wainrot is quite a prolific choreographer at the Royal Ballet of Flanders. What is the overall reaction to his work? Is it accepted by public and critics, or is it controversial?

Silvy