• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

Ms. von Aroldingen had a unique look, style and way of moving (and as other posters have mentioned, body) that made her stand out in whatever she did onstage.

She started out as an acrobat, and Mr. B. used that training to the max -- especially in what I call the "Spider Walk" in "Stravinsky Violin Concerto." When I first started watching the company, I found her face sort of forbidding and stern. But when she did "Liebeslieder" I was able to link to her tenderness. By that time I had heard from some dancers about how she cared for Mr. B. when he was in the hospital for his last illness, and that made me respect her all the more, and I never felt she looked stern after that.

After she retired, I happened to pass her at the bar after the promenade had emptied out, and I told her how much I missed her very individual style, and she was gracious in her response. While I was never comfortable with her in the "Tales of the Vienna Woods" section of "Vienna Waltzes," I think of her every time I see the Siren in "Prodigal Son," MadDonald of Sleath in "Union Jack" and, of course, the "Violin Concerto"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):