This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cyril Beaumont

Guest Eric

some 17 copies seem to be for sale on bibliofind, a 'wing' of amazon.

don't know if you can get to bibliofind via balletalert's 'amazon' button but you can try; otherwise here's the url for the page w/the book

:

http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/search-ha...8726544-9076017

there are other used/rare book sites, so you could perhaps find it elsewhere as well. good luck.

p.s. these sellers are in no way related to yrs. trly. i get no commission....

I was interested to see the prices -- quite low for what is, to me, such a valuable book. (When I first discovered ballet, Cyril WB was my first window on the 19th century. I must have read that book, cover to cover, four times.) I bought mine back in 1977 and it was $15 then -- several copies on that list are $15 now. A few years later, when Beaumont died, you couldn't get one for love or money, as they say, and when they started coming back on the market the book was generally $60 in New York's Ballet Shop.

Anyone who is interested in 19th century ballet should have this book, IMHO. Thanks for the suggestions on how to find a copy, rg and atm.

fyi: here are the citations i found according to the n.y.public lib. for the perf. arts re: beaumont's various ballet-story compilations, including the other printings and/or revised editons of 'complete book' etc.

from my brief connection to these used-book sites, it would seem that the description listing are not always all that comprehensive re: what editon, etc.:

Beaumont, Cyril W. (Cyril William), 1891-1976.

Title : Complete book of ballets; a guide to the principal ballets of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, by Cyril W. Beaumont.

Imprint : New York, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1938.

Description : xxiv p., 1 l., 900 p. front., plates, ports. 22 cm.

Title : Supplement to Complete book of ballets.

Imprint : London, C. W. Beaumont, 1942.

Description : 208 p. illus., ports. 23 cm.

Notes : "Copyright 1942."

Title : Ballets of today; being a second supplement to the Complete book of ballets.

Imprint : London, Putman, 1954.

Description : x, 250 p. illus., ports. 23 cm.

Notes : A supplement to both the London edition, 1937, and the American edition, 1938, including a "Corrigenda" section at end with page references to each edition.

: Binder's title: Complete book of ballets, supplement 2.

Title : Ballets past & present; being a third supplement to the Complete book of ballets.

Imprint : London, Putnam, 1955.

Description : x, 259 p. illus., ports. 23 cm.

Notes : "First published 1955."

Title : Complete book of ballets; a guide to the principal ballets of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

Imprint : Garden City, N.Y., Garden City Pub. Co. [1941, c1938]

Description : xxiv, 900 p. plates, ports. 23 cm.

Title : Complete book of ballets; a guide to the principal ballets of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

Imprint : London, Putnam [1937]

Description : xxv, 1100 p. plates, ports. 23 cm.

Notes : "First published November, 1937."

Imprint : London, Putnam, [1956]

Description : xxi, 1106 p. illus., ports. 23 cm.

Notes : "First published 1937; revised edition 1949... reprinted 1956."

Imprint : London, Putnam [1952]

Description : 212 p. illus., ports. 23 cm.

Notes : "Reprinted September 1952."

Imprint : London, C. W. Beaumont [1945]

Description : ix, 220 p. illus., ports. 23 cm.

Notes : "Reprinted (with addition of index and corrigenda) November 1945."

Alexandra, my introduction to ballet was also through Beaumont's book. During The War my older sister had a beau (an English Naval officer) who came to our shores often during those years. He took her to the ballet many times, and as an appreciation for her company, and the comfort of being a part of our family when he was in town, he gave her a copy of the book. My sister and the Englishman remained friends until his death ten years ago.