This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Guest skittle

Does anyone know were I can find serenade on Video or dvd?? I have been looking for it and can't find it. I know there are copies out there because I have seen a part of one of video.

balanchine's SERENADE has not, to the best of my knowledge, been released commercially on video w/ NYCB or w/ any other company.

you might have seen excerpts in the following film which is released commercially, or at least was released commercially, in which there is a little coaching session for the ballet in the segment on melissa hayden. (see below)

you might be thinking of excerpts you've seen in some PBS show: the 2-part balanchine biography show has an excerpt from the ballet's first movement.

oddly there were no excerpts planned for the 2-part filmed balanchine celebration that closed nycb's balanchine celebration in '93.

you might know video-collectors who tape ballet programs off the air. SERENADE and WESTERN SYMPHONY were shown on PBS in a prog. called: BALANCHINE IN AMERICA for 'dance in america' but this has not been made available commercially. i supposed during the balanchine centenary year this could change - or maybe it has already changed but not to my knowledge.

hope this helps some small way. (of course if you are new lincoln center the n.y.public lib. for the performing arts has the video available for viewing on the premises of the dance collection. (see below)

Dancing for Mr. B.: Six Balanchine ballerinas [videorecording] / a production of Seahorse Films in association with WNET/New York ; produced and directed by Anne Belle ; co-directed and edited by Deborah Dickson.

New York, N.Y. : WNET/Thirteen, c1989.

(90 min.) : sd., col. with b&w sequences

Narrator: Marian Seldes.

Executive producer, Jac Venza.

Dance contents (choreography by Balanchine except where noted otherwise). Excerpts from: Serenade / danced by the ensemble -- The nutcracker / danced by Moylan -- Rehearsal (1947) of The four temperaments / Sanguinic danced by Moylan and Fred Danieli ; Choleric danced by Le Clercq -- Firebird: Berceuse and pas de deux / danced by Tallchief and Michael Maule -- Concerto barocco / danced by Diana Adams and Le Clercq -- Scotch symphony / danced by Tallchief, Eglevsky, and male ensemble -- Don Quixote pas de deux / choreography after Marius Petipa ; danced by Tallchief -- Stars and stripes / danced by Hayden -- Agon / danced by Kent and Arthur Mitchell -- Symphony in C / danced by Kent, Conrad Ludlow, and ensemble -- Tchaikovsky pas de deux / danced by Hayden and Edward Villella -- Apollo / danced by Farrell and Peter Martins -- Ballo della regina / danced by Ashley -- Swan lake: Act II / choreography staged by Alexandra Danilova after Lev Ivanov ; danced by Kistler and Cornel Crabtree -- The four temperaments: Sanguinic / danced by Ashley and Daniel Duell -- Rehearsal of La sonnambula, danced by Kistler and Ib Andersen.

Balanchine in America / co-produced by WNET/Thirteen and Danmarks Radio ; produced and directed by Judy Kinberg and Thomas Grimm ; choreography by George Balanchine.

New York, N.Y. : WNET/Thirteen, 1990.

(58 min.) : sd., col.

Performed by members of the New York City Ballet.

Music performed by New York City Ballet Orchestra conducted by Hugo Fiorato.

Introduced by Peter Martins, ballet master in chief of the New York City Ballet.

Lighting, Jorgen Johannessen and Tim Hunter ; executive producer, Jac Venza ; ballets edited by Soren Kirk.

Serenade (ca. 34 min.) / music, Peter Tchaikovsky ; costumes, Barbara Karinska ; danced by Darci Kistler, Kyra Nichols, Maria Calegari, Adam Lüders, Leonid Kozlov, with Marisa Cerveris, Lisa Jackson, Miriam Mahdaviani, Kathleen Tracey, and ensemble.

Western symphony (ca. 24 min.) / music, Hershy Kay ; scenery, John Boyt ; costumes, Karinska ; cast: Allegro, danced by Melinda Roy, Jock Soto, and ensemble ; Adagio, danced by Stephanie Saland, Robert La Fosse, and ensemble ; Rondo, danced by Helene Alexopoulos, Peter Boal, and ensemble.

Telecast on WNET/Thirteen's Great Performances: Dance in America series in 1990.

Performances of Serenade, the first ballet created by Balanchine on American soil, and Western symphony, his evocation of a balleticized "Wild West."

There was also a film or video of the complete Serenade done in 1973 in Germany with NYCB, but this has never been released on video. It was aired in the US a long time ago, but the more recent taping, the one with Western Symphony that rg refers to above, was better -- if you can find someone who has a copy taped off the air.

when i read that i assumed it was a slip of the keyboard. to be sure SERENADE is not in ABT's rep and has never been. the co. recently showing the ballet in russia was NYCB, so that's the pref. i assume that was meant here in the above post.

Paul, I tried both to e-mail you and to send you a private message about these videos via this board but it looks to me like you need to fill in some information somewhere, in your profile or to enable the PM system. Can you (and perhaps our marvelously indefatigable hostess Alexandra) straighten this - or me - out?