This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Novel marketing ideas from Pa. Ballet

PENNSYLVANIA BALLET OFFERS TWO WAYS TO

CELEBRATE ITS 40th ANNIVERSARY

In celebration of its 40th anniversary, Pennsylvania Ballet will begin its season with two special events – a Guinness Book of World Records event and a “Night on the Town” contest.

On Saturday, September 20, Pennsylvania Ballet invites dancers of all ages to help set a record for the most people standing on pointe at one time for the Guinness Book of World Records. This event, hosted by a CBS 3 news personality and sponsored by WTPT 96.5 “The Point,” will take place at 3 p.m. in Love Park on 16th Street and JFK Boulevard. The event is being held in conjunction with Philadelphia’s College Fest, an annual festival on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway that gives college students throughout the region a taste of the many different cultural activities the city has to offer.

Many dancers from Pennsylvania Ballet and Pennsylvania Ballet II along with hundreds of students from several dance schools from the region are participating to help make this a memorable occasion. This exciting event is open to the public and anyone wishing to participate should register by calling (215) 551-7000, ext. 1226.

For those who are not balletically-inclined, Pennsylvania Ballet is hosting a contest to win a “Night on the Town.” On October 8, 2003, the winner and a guest will be picked up at his or her home in a limousine, compliments of All American Limo, and treated to dinner at Sole Food, the fun, new restaurant at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. Then they will be taken to Pennsylvania Ballet’s opening night performance of A Fancy 40th, featuring George Balanchine’s Concerto Barocco and The Four Temperaments, and the exciting premiere of Jerome Robbins’ Fancy Free.

People can enter to win this extraordinary “Night on the Town” on Pennsylvania Ballet’s website, www.paballet.org, between September 12 and September 26. The winner will be chosen on September 29. For complete contest rules, visit the website or call (215) 551-7000, ext. 1226.

Founded in 1963, Pennsylvania Ballet is widely recognized as one of the leading ballet companies in the nation. The Company is celebrating its 40th anniversary this season with popular works from the Company’s history, two company premieres and two world premieres commissioned for the 40th Anniversary – including a new, million dollar, full-length production of Swan Lake by world-renowned choreographer Christopher Wheeldon. For information, call (215) 551-7000 or visit the website at www.paballet.org.

Actually, I think their "marketing" ideas are fun. I know my daughter would be there if I'd drive her with pointe shoes on. :P In my opinion, the College Fest idea is ingenious - something a number of our cities might think of trying. "The Night on the Town" sounds pretty enticing, too.

I say three cheers! :grinning: :wink:

Read in the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday that the PA Ballet heard from the Guiness people last week- they officially set the record for most people standing on pointe for one minute- a grand total of .... 126 people. A little underwhelming, in my opinion, but now there's a new record to be broken by dance companies all over the country! :)