This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Waiting for the Balanchine stamp

In her article about how Saratogians shouldn't take NYCB for granted (posted by Ari on today's links) Mae G. Banner writes: "There is almost certain to be a first-class Balanchine stamp to honor his 100th birthday on Jan. 22, 2004," and suggests that the Saratoga Springs post office hold a ceremony to mark the occasion. Since I was one of many people who wrote to the Postal Service urging issuance of such a stamp, I certainly hope Ms. Banner is correct. In the meantime, the other day I got a letter bearing a stamp with the likeness of Audrey Hepburn. It is one of the most beautiful U.S. postage stamps ever, in my opinion. Too bad there has to be a postmark on it.

I had a nightmarish thought on seeing this topic: What if the stamp bears the same artwork as the brochure -- the garish rendering of the Cartier-Bresson photo? :lol:

But holding out hope for something more aesthetically pleasing (though not likely as pleasing as Ms. Hepburn), I face a bit of a problem. After a protracted and unsuccessful hunt, I finally located a supply of 34c Leonard Bernstein stamps. Bought a gazillion of them. Still have a surfeit with almost a gazillion 3c make-up stamps :flowers: Once I supply myself with the Balanchine stamps, I'll probably end up with a lifetime supply of postage, minus the make-up stamps for the inevitable rate increases. :shrug: :pinch:

And just consider this: The "definitive" 37¢ stamp is the Purple Heart stamp. That means, for all practical purposes, that it's the permanent design. My grandmother and my father were both Postmasters. Let us hope that the Balanchine stamp is either a comemmorative limited issue, or else not the "definitive" $1.03 first class stamp.

I remember that stamp, my younger sister has a poster of it. I thought the dancer was someone from ABT but I"m not very familiar with ABT so i couldn't say exactly who it was. BUt i hope the Balanchin stamp comes out and is a good rendition of him, I collect limited edition stamps and this would make me collection.