This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Phrenic New Ballet

We saw the Phrenic New Ballet last night in Phila. A few members of the PA Ballet formed this offshoot to focus on new choreography/multimedia approaches to dance. There were 4 pieces. Major complaint- with all the great music in the world, why does one have to pick "Noise, parts 1, 2, 3" for dance? There was a Chopin piece, but we didn't care for the pas that went with it. The video clips preceding the pieces (with the exception of the first, which set the background for the duet between Christine Cox and her disabled sister), added nothing, and detracted a lot. There were a lot of interesting lifts, and I'm not a choreographic (or even ballet) expert, but the choreography was interesting, rather than unified. Anyone else go?

Thanks for telling us about this, dufay -- I didn't go, but I'm interested in reading about it. I think what you've described seems very typical for small experimental companies. They don't WANT to use Chopin; they want to use new music. And using disabled dancers and integrating dance and video is also currently popular.