This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Gregory Hines

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BalletFlaMom

BalletFlaMom

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 01:59 PM

NOT ballet, I know, but an amazing dancer nonetheless. He has died at 57.

http://entertainment...spx?news=130808

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 02:48 PM

Thank you for posting that -- I heard it on the news just now. I hadn't known that Hines was ill, so it came as a shock to me. He was a terrific dancer -- a graceful dancer, and a graceful man.

#3 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 06:27 PM

I think he was a true artist. He was always looking deeper into his dance, without breaking form. He was wonderful in Cotton Club and his Dance in America special.

#4 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 06:38 PM

And an incredibly generous artist. He seemed to feel a genuine sense of responsibility to fellow artists and to his audiences. He used his celebrity to showcase younger dancers to whom he played mentor and role model. He also understood that appreciation of dance must be cultivated, and he took many opportunities to instruct his audiences in different aspects of his art. And he never, never failed to acknowledge the courage of the earlier generation of black tap dancers who never gained the recognition they deserved but blazed the path that allowed him to gain popular and commercial success.

A class act all the way! He leaves big shoes to be filled.

#5 Guest_amethyst_*

Guest_amethyst_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 August 2003 - 05:36 AM

Yes, what a great loss to the dance world! He was such a natural tapper - made me want to get up and dance too! He was probably my inspiration to take tap classs as an adult. He evidently knew about the cancer for some time but didn't want to worry his family, so he just kept on dancing. What a brave man - he will be fondly remembered and sadly missed by many!

#6 PK

PK

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 12:52 PM

I was so saddened and surprised to learn of his death.He was very visable in the NJ Arts and involved with kids and dance.I'd like to think of him up in heaven with those other great dancers.

#7 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 01:06 PM

I was lucky enough to have seen his Tony-Award performance in "Jelly's Last Jam." He was a wonderful actor as well as great dancer. His portrayal of the complicated, tortured Jelly-Roll Morton was unforgettable.

#8 novamom

novamom

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 03:42 PM

I heard of his death yesterday. What a sad day. I was not aware that he was even sick. I loved his performance in "White Nights" especially.

#9 Justdoit

Justdoit

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 04:54 PM

I've definitely been a fan since he and his brother and father were the act, "Hines, Hines And Dad." I've long admired his smooth dancing style, similiar to Astaire's. He was a first-rate actor as well. His movie "White Nights," was memorable to me for both the dancing and the acting. I learned to tap as an adult, partially inspired by him. He will be long remembered and missed.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 05:45 PM

I didn't know he was ill, either. Very sad news. A favorite performer of mine, in any field, and a great ambassador for dance.

He guested with San Francisco Ballet during the Smuin era, some time in the seventies, if memory serves.

#11 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 08:50 PM

<< He guested with San Francisco Ballet during the Smuin era, some time in the seventies, if memory serves.>> (software not working for me tonight, excuse the quote formatting)

How interesting! Do you remember what pieces they put him in? (does this belong in Ballet History?)

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 03:58 PM

Amy, I'm afraid I don't know -- I didn't see him, alas. I hope someone who did chips in. I imagine Smuin didn't put him in Swan Lake. :) The two worked together on several occasions -- Smuin did Hines' revue, "Sophisticated Ladies."

#13 catlady

catlady

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 06:05 PM

I am curious and rather dismayed that there has been no appreciation for Gregory Hines in the Washington Post. I had to search the obits page to find anything about his passing and my husband who is admittedly not a dance fan but who liked Gregory Hines alot said he wouldn't have even known he had died if I hadn't told him. The man contributed an awful lot and I really think that he rates more than just an obituary notice.

#14 piccolo

piccolo

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:08 PM

Catlady, I agree! Where is the TV special commemorating his life?

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,728 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:34 PM

Well, a television special would take a little time to produce, but Hines was just not that big of a star -- he wouldn't rate the coverage received by the demise of a Hepburn or a Hope, or of Steve McQueen when he died untimely about twenty years ago. It's too bad, but there it is. Baryshnikov should get a big sendoff when he joins the choir invisible, but I can't think of another living dancer who'll get Major Media Notice.

I thought the Post's obit was pretty good, actually. The New York Times had an appreciation by Sally Sommer in addition to the obituary, but the Times' cultural coverage tends to be more intensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):