This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center programs, Dec. 2-7, 2003

As it stands now --

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Dec. 2,3,4,6 -- 8 p.m. Mozartiana, Tschaikovsky pas de deux, Serenade, Meditation. (All Tschaikosky program.)

Friday, Dec. 5 --8p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 6, Sunday, Dec. 7 -- 2:30 p.m. "The Balanchine Couple...exploring the evolution of the pas de deux at the heart of Balanchine's choreography."

Performances will be at the Eisenhower Theater.

The Kennedy Center has announced that there will be four additional "events" featuring Suzanne Farrell and members of her company:

Tuesday, Dec. 2 at 2:00 pm: Open Rehearsal

Wednesday, Dec. 3 from 5:00 to 6:30 pm: "Exploring Ballet With Suzanne Farrell" (for adults) "From plies to pirouettes, discover how it feels to dance as Suzanne Farrell leads this unique and inspriational movement class for adult non-dancers. Please wear solid-colored, close-fitting clothing, such as yoga pants or leggings, and ballet slippers; a ballet skirt is optional. Space is limited."

Friday, Jan. 9, 2004 from 6:00 to 7:30 pm: Coaching a Solo

Sunday, Jan. 25, 2004, from 6:00 to 7:30 pm: Pas de Deux

All but the second are available as a subscription for $40 (or $36 for subscribers or KC Members). "Exploring Ballet" is $35.

It pleases me immensely that the Kennedy Center is offering more of these events to subscribers, rather than just to big donors.

There are also a few open rehearsals and a Royal Danish Ballet master class for which tickets are available; as far as I know, last year these events were only for the big donors or others with connections of some sort.

I really hope these events are "successful" by whatever measure the Kennedy Center uses so that the trend will continue.

And yes, I'll be passing on the actual class too. :-)

At the time of the previous Balanchine festival, Farrell gave a couple of talks at the Library for the Performing Arts. When someone asked if she'd be willing to teach a Balanchine Class, she asked for a show of hands as to how many would be interested in taking one. Many, many hands shot up.:huepfen:

After the lecture, about three pages (legal yellow) worth of people signed up. All arrangements were made, time set, space secured. Then, there was an abrupt change in Farrell's financial relationship with NYCB :dry: and, finding she had to devote more time on the road, ended up cancelling the event just a few days before it was to take place. Major, major disappointment for me! :wink:

Please, any BA'niks who take the class, post minutely detailed reports. And merde! :clover:

I think if it were someone else teaching, I'd worry that it would be one of those awful things where the unsuspecting are indulged into thinking they're "dancing," but given that it's Suzanne, I have higher hopes. I'm slightly giddy at just the idea of being in a class setting with her! :grinning: Presumably I'll settle down before December!

Oh, WOE! :dry: A couple of Saturdays ago I stopped by the Kennedy Center to buy a ticket for this and was told they couldn't sell me one because it was part of a package. I didn't have time to sort through which package, how many events, etc., so I took a brochure and thought I'd deal with it later. Well, between Isabel and just general life-clutter, I only got around to checking the KenCen website today to find out the class is SOLD OUT! :)

So to echo Cabro, anyone who goes, many details please!

Current info for Kennedy Center season (from the Kennedy Center's press release dated today):

Repertory:

Evenings, Tuesday, December 2 - Thursday, December 4 & Saturday, December 6:

Mozartiana

“Tempo di Valse” from The Nutcracker

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

Serenade

Friday Evening, Saturday & Sunday Matinees: The Balanchine Couple:

Pas de Deux from Apollo

Pas de Deux from La Sonnambula

Pas de Deux from La Valse

“The Unanswered Question” from Ivesiana

Pas de Deux from Agon

Meditation

Divertissement from Don Quixote

Second Pas de Deux from Chaconne

Pas de Deux and Finale from Stars and Stripes

Dancers:

Principal dancers with the company are Jennifer Fournier, Chan Hon Goh, Natalia Magnicaballi, Peter Boal, and Runqiao Du.

Soloists are April Ball, Frances Katzen, Shannon Parsley, Bonnie Pickard, Momchil Mladenov, Jared Redick and Alexander Ritter.

Other company members include Erin Ackert, Gina Artese, Amy Brandt, Amy Cole, Kristen Gallagher, Elisabeth Holowchuk, Katelyn Prominski, Lisa Reneau, Mariaelena Ruiz, Cheryl Sladkin, Meaghan Spedden, Lydia Walker, Bill Biondolino, Ryan Kelly, Benjamin Lester, Eric Ragan, Stephen Straub and Alfiero Supan.

Company apprentices are Celeste Birr-Gucanac, Parise Sellitti, Ilona Wall, and Alexandra Wasell.

Ron Matson is the Musical Director and Conductor; Holly Hynes is the Costume Designer; Russell Sandifer is the Lighting Designer.

Guest Alice172
Other company members include Erin Ackert, Gina Artese, Amy Brandt, Amy Cole, Kristen Gallagher, Elisabeth Holowchuk, Katelyn Prominski, Lisa Reneau, Mariaelena Ruiz, Cheryl Sladkin, Meaghan Spedden, Lydia Walker, Bill Biondolino, Ryan Kelly, Benjamin Lester, Eric Ragan, Stephen Straub and Alfiero Supan. 

So what are those dancers? corps members of Suzanne Farrel Ballet? I am just asking b/c Erin Ackert who I grew up with in my ballet class was in ABT's Studio co. before but now she isn't so I did a search to see where she is now. This topic came up on google. Just curious, thank you!

Hi, Alice -- the Farrell company doesn't offer a year-round contract, so there's a lot of turnover. There's a bit of uncertainty about the company's future now, it seems. This year's tour was cancelled, and there's been no announcement yet of what's in store after this spring's revival of Balanchine's "Don Quixote."

I can't help trace your friend, I'm afriaid -- perhaps another one of our readers will know where Erin Ackert is.