This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Balanchine Triple Bill, Oct 2003

As difference you have also in the first movement no fouettés in Symphony against the ballerina makes it in French palais de Cristal.

Other difference is in the last movement. In palais de Cristal 4th mouvement leader girl and 1st movement leader girl makes the same thing, not in Symphony in C.

There are also little things that you wouldn't notice unless you'd seen the ballet a lot, I think -- there are some differences among American productions of "Symphony in C" -- some gestures and small steps have disappeared over time. But there's a move to making all productions the same now.

I checked this and have been assured it's factually correct: Balanchine did will the ballet to Betty Cage, but she gave the rights to John Taras. He is the usual stager.

[T]here are some differences among American productions of "Symphony in C" -- some gestures and small steps have disappeared over time.  But there's a move to making all productions the same now.

While clearly standardizing will cut down on the arguments over "how it's done," I am dismayed to read this. I like the individual "marks" that each company/era puts on the ballet. I want to remember as many as I can.

There have been quite a lot of changes in the casts (here's the link again:

http://www.opera-de-paris.fr/0304/fiche_58...581_distri.html )

For example, for the opening program, Manuel Legris, who was supposed to dance "Tchaikovsky pas de deux" with Aurélie Dupont, is replaced by Jean-Guillaume Bart- and also for all the other performances. Probably an injury :wink::wink:

Also Kader Belarbi isn't cast any longer in the first movement of "Palais de Cristal" (but still is listed for "The Four Temperaments" and "The Prodigal Son").

So, socalgal and rkoretzky, here are the updated casts for Oct 3 and 10 (the changes are in italic letters):

"Symphony in C": Pujol- Moreau (Oct 3), Osta-Pech (Oct 10), Letestu-Bart, Gillot-Martinez, Hurel (Oct 3) - Gaudion

"Prodigal Son": Letestu-Le Riche

"The Four Temperaments":

(themes) Averty-Paquette, Abbagnato-Bélingard (Oct 3)/Hurel-Isoart (Oct 10) , Moussin-Bridard

(melancholic) Hilaire (Oct 3)- Belarbi

(sanguinic) Dupont-Romoli (Oct 3) Osta-Bart (Oct 10)

(phlegmatic) Le Riche

(choleric) Romberg (Oct 3)- Gillot (Oct 10)

And of course it's possible that it will change again...

Some other casts changes have been posted on the web site- most notably, no Kader Belarbi and Jérémie Bélingard any longer, and fewer performances for Jean-Guillaume Bart. I'm getting a headache trying to count all the changes, and surely it will change again before the end of the series of performance! It's getting really difficult to get to see a dancer in a particular role... :)

Socal (and everyone)

There seems to be a rash of injury/illness across the world right now. Certainly here in Copenhagen, but also from my friends reporting from afield. Perhaps this has something to do with Bizet and Palais?

Also, should let you (and everyone!) know that the RDB has a wonderful way of putting their tickets on sale for 1/2 price at 5pm the day of the show. It has made a wonderful experience of a 20 dollar ticket for me.

thank you aspirant! the lady at the ticket office offered this information when we went to buy tickets. she flatly told us to wait until 5 pm and that we would get great seating. and we did just that. a good thing to know for this theatre.

we enjoyed the performance and i will share latter when we return to the states. we are looking forward to pob next.......... :grinning: