Bournonvillesample video-clips somewhere?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 07:13 AM

re Bujones -- he was fine for a non-Dane :wub: I think the "La Sylphide" on DVD was of Lis Jeppesen with Nikolaj Hubbe (his debut) rather than Villumsen, although there were at least two Jeppesen/Villumsen Sylphides filmed for Danish TV (it's often the state occasion ballet).

Paul, a note about Napoli. I think the religious aspect was part of "local color" as well as plot, and the use of the hymn shows the 19th century way of weaving a popular song, or bit of an opera, or other music eitherthe audience would know that would help tell the story because it would cue the viewer to what was going on. Villumsen was very powerful in that moment in live performance -- he could make you believe that the power of faith, with the help of a blessed medal, would overcome adversity.

I've read that Bruhn was not considered a good Bournonville stylist by the Danes at the start of his career, but I've never read why and never understood it (except, possibly, that he did more pirouettes than was then allowed; Bournonville wanted you to stop at 2). The filmed segments I've seen of him look perfect -- he was a turner but he was also a jumper and, as djb noted, his technique could stand up to stop action photography. There are two monographs -- "Bournonville and Ballet Technique" (a slim book, published by Adam Black) and "Beyond Technique" (a Dance Perspectives number) -- on which he collaborated, with Lillian Moore. Much of the material is from Bournonville's "Etudes Choreographique."

There's a Napoli, also from Danish TV that I've seen but don't have, that has Ib Andersen doing the first solo in the pas de six, and Arne Villumsen, both at the top of their game, doing the third (Flemming Ryberg, a bit past his prime, is the second). And a Folk Tale pas de sept from the mid-70s -- again with Villumsen and Ryberg, and Eva Kloborg (who was a wonderful Bournonville stylist) and Anna Laerkesen that was televised. The textbook Bournonville man from that time wasn't a principal -- Arne Beck. Sometimes the stylists aren't the stars.

#17 djb

djb

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the information, Ms. Leigh. And thanks, Alexandra, "Bournonville and Ballet Technique" is most likely the name of the book I was talking about.

#18 Susanne

Susanne

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 09:23 AM

Ooops I had completely forgotten about this thread. As a matter of fact I did send them an e-mail. :rolleyes:

They replied that

We are working on
getting video-clips on the site and the first will follow in september on
Napoli. But at the same time we want to show the newest stagings and the
clips will be produced along with our repertoire, so the clips will apear on
the website in that order. After Napoli clips from La Sylphide, A Folktale
and Abdallah will be produced in this season.

This was in mid August, when I received the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):