This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

those fouettes

Not that I noticed. And she nailed those turns. Maybe she was spotting the conductor, but it certainly wasn't a notable feature of her performance. Usually, I can tell when people are doing that. It's usually because they don't trust him, and the look says, "Deeeeeeaaath! Deeeeeeeeeeaaaaaath!", so it all comes out like Medea.

Quick note from the Helpful Hostess :D We never meant to diiscourage someone from posting a technical question on the order of what Amy did above. When we say "no technique questions, please!" that's aimed at dancers or dance students who might ask, "Help! How do I spot???" because we'd like to direct them to the Dancers Forum so there question can be sure to be answered to a teacher. So if there are any "insider dancer" questions like Amy's above, or 'what is a fouette anyway?" questions from viewers please, ask away.

That's a very good question, and I wish I had a very good answer! As far as I'm concerned, a lot of it has to do with how well the incorporation of multiples works with the music. I recall one ballerina (was it Svetlana Beriosova?) who started the Black Swan fouettés rather down-tempo, and did a double on every fourth one. Then, when the music changed periods, usually the second 16, she went up-tempo as fast as possible, cranked out 14 and pirouetted out on the remaining music.

Were there not some very young Russian ballerinas in the past who could do 64 fouettés in the past? Though this was not in Swan Lake...

Dance Scholar,

I remember reading in an old ballet history book, lost long ago, that the Ballet Rousse de Monte Carlo's three baby ballerinas Toumanova, Baronova (who I actually saw, but in an acting role in Fiddler on the Roof), and Riabouchinska could crank out the 64 fouettes on command.

Richard

Well, all this talk of 121 fouettés makes my personal classroom record of 80 grands pirouettes à la seconde seem rather trivial. Of course, anyone will tell you that grands pirouettes are more difficult than fouettés! :excl: All in fun, of course :excl:

This is not exactly a new thread at this point but I am reading Agnes de Mille's autobiography(Speak To Me, Dance With Me) of how she struggled to establish herself as a dancer in the early 30s and something connected came up.

She took classes with Marie Rambert. Although her body was considered all wrong, she did have extremely strong ankles and feet.

At the end of each day's class, she would turn out 64 fouettes, on one spot. Never failed. but her lament was "if only I could do a pure arabesque"

Richard

:excl: When I was taking class, I used to say that all I wanted was a beautiful arabesque, consistent double pirouettes to both sides, and strong, high-arched feet :D. Someone replied, "With that, you could get into a company!"* My feet became strong, if not very arched, but the other two -- especially the arabesque -- eluded me. :lol:

*Yes, she did know it was an oversimplification.