This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Graeme Murphy's Swan Lake

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 R S Edgecombe

R S Edgecombe

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:53 AM

Have any Ballet Talkers seen the Graeme Murphy Swan Lake that premiered in Melbourne a few months ago? If so, I should be very grateful if you could describe how his new narrative has been grafted to the Tchaikovsky score--item by item, if that isn't too tall an order!--and also if you could record your reactions to it. I am a HUGE admirer of his Nutcracker, and wonder if he has managed something as fine with Lac.

#2 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:39 AM

regrettably, rodney, i haven't seen it. you probably know that it has been extremely well received in australia....

#3 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:08 AM

Rodney -

Photoguy from Australia gave a detailed report last Spetember in this thread: Swanning About

Interview with Murphy prior to premiere

For more resources go to our search engine and type +Australian +Swan +Lake +Murphy

#4 R S Edgecombe

R S Edgecombe

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:36 AM

Leigh, thank you VERY much for this information. I was using the wrong syntax in the search. Instead of going to help buttons first, I always try to wing it, and, for example, end up posting ballet history questions in the ballet moms forum! I shall follow the hotlinks you provide at the first opportunity.

Grace, I am sure you are in for a treat. Michelle Potter has kindly sent me cuttings about the ballet from the SMH and another Oz paper--I can't check which now, for my matronly cat Gwendolen is sleeping on my lap, and I don't want to disturb her--and has also told me that she will be publishing an account in the next Brolga. All I know so far is that the story is modelled on the Charles/Diana/Camilla triangle, and that Camilla is Rothbart--or should that be Rothbartha?! When you get to see it, I hope you will treat us to a detailed post. Thanks so much.

With all good wishes

Rodney

#5 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:37 PM

I can't check which now, for my matronly cat Gwendolen is sleeping on my lap, and I don't want to disturb her

rodney, i LIKE you, already! :cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):