• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 R S Edgecombe

R S Edgecombe

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:53 AM

Have any Ballet Talkers seen the Graeme Murphy Swan Lake that premiered in Melbourne a few months ago? If so, I should be very grateful if you could describe how his new narrative has been grafted to the Tchaikovsky score--item by item, if that isn't too tall an order!--and also if you could record your reactions to it. I am a HUGE admirer of his Nutcracker, and wonder if he has managed something as fine with Lac.

#2 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:39 AM

regrettably, rodney, i haven't seen it. you probably know that it has been extremely well received in australia....

#3 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 08:08 AM

Rodney -

Photoguy from Australia gave a detailed report last Spetember in this thread: Swanning About

Interview with Murphy prior to premiere

For more resources go to our search engine and type +Australian +Swan +Lake +Murphy

#4 R S Edgecombe

R S Edgecombe

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:36 AM

Leigh, thank you VERY much for this information. I was using the wrong syntax in the search. Instead of going to help buttons first, I always try to wing it, and, for example, end up posting ballet history questions in the ballet moms forum! I shall follow the hotlinks you provide at the first opportunity.

Grace, I am sure you are in for a treat. Michelle Potter has kindly sent me cuttings about the ballet from the SMH and another Oz paper--I can't check which now, for my matronly cat Gwendolen is sleeping on my lap, and I don't want to disturb her--and has also told me that she will be publishing an account in the next Brolga. All I know so far is that the story is modelled on the Charles/Diana/Camilla triangle, and that Camilla is Rothbart--or should that be Rothbartha?! When you get to see it, I hope you will treat us to a detailed post. Thanks so much.

With all good wishes

Rodney

#5 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:37 PM

I can't check which now, for my matronly cat Gwendolen is sleeping on my lap, and I don't want to disturb her

rodney, i LIKE you, already! :cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):