This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Robert Le Diable

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:59 PM

Talon a la main, jambe tendue is a stretch in which the heel is placed in the hand in order to pull the leg upward and stretch the hip joint. I have never heard it phrased quite that way before, so it threw me as well, at first.

#17 R S Edgecombe

R S Edgecombe

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 July 2003 - 04:54 AM

Thanks so much, Hans. That comma makes all the difference--and the realization that the heel is definitely in the hand. I'm surprised that stretches are formalized to music in the Danish class. In SA--or at least in those I have watched or participated in--they tend to be done informally, in the interstices of the barre, or in the break before centre work.

#18 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:56 AM

without any intent to derail this fascinatingly informative discussion :wink: , when i saw this:

...the burial place of nuns who have offended heaven with impure thoughts. Bertram summons up the sinful dead nuns ("Nonnes qui repose") commanding them to action. They rise from their tombs, at first slowly, and then work themselves into a frenzy, shedding their habits and dancing a bacchanal. They attempt to seduce Robert...

i couldn't help thinking that i'm surprised i haven't seen THAT version of giselle, yet - THAT would shake things up a bit! (sorry, alexandra :devil: )

#19 R S Edgecombe

R S Edgecombe

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 09:49 AM

Grace, I think the seduction was probably less graphic than that synopsis implies! I know because I have egg on my face in this regard. The last movement of Ashton's Les Rendezvous, which is based on the ballet in Auber's L'Enfant prodigue (1850), is labelled "orgie" in the piano score the librarian at Covent Garden kindly photocopied for me. Without checking my French dictionary, I treated it as an orgy in an article that I subsequently wrote on ballet music. Imagine my embarrassment when, a few months later, I was sight-reading Meyerbeer's Les Huguenots, and found the Act I brindisi is actually labelled "orgie" in the score, and there isn't a woman on stage at that point! I am sure the readers of my article must have thought I have a very dirty mind!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):