This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What Makes a Male Dancer Stand Out?

grace

The man must have pure lines and clean technique. The tours must land in a clean fifth. I love seeing a very supple plie that allows each movement to flow into the next, as if the dancer was tempting gravity. I like a man to have slim beautiful legs, not overly developed, but long and streamlined. Most important is the man's ability to just stand and look like a prince. Although it is the man's job to present the woman beautifully, I love to see a man who can simply stand in first position and distract me from the ballerina. Ahhhhhh!

Rachel

Well, I would speak from a partner perspective. And I would have to nod to Silvy's comment. Presentation is everything. I live in a city where many movies are shot. I've learned along the way that the best way to get cast is to make sure I'm partnered to an advantage. I recall that when "Interview With a Vampire" was cast, it looked like a who's who of dancers -- hundreds and hundreds for just 16 dancers. I made sure I was partnered during auditions by one of the men in my troupe, because these guys are the STRONGEST partners and really know how to present the woman. It was no coincidence in my mind that more than half of the dancers cast that night were from our troupe.

Now that I've given up the performing life to reverse my career and finish my dance degree, it's interesting for me to hear my professor lecture the men in class about "chivalry" in class -- about how to go across the floor with the women during grand allegro. You can see the maturity instilled in them, and it's very attractive.

Being partnered with just the right guy can make the whole rehearsal/performance process such wonderful fun. You really create a bond for years to come, even after you're not dancing professionally. I'll run into such a guy in the grocery store, and there's an unspoken affection.

That's what I base my sense of attraction on in a partner. His unselfish attitude in dancing with me.

Guest Banana Feet

I also think that a great ballon makes a male dancer stand out. Also, it's fun to watch a male dancer that shows a lot of personality and stands out from his partner--so that it seems that he isn't just there to partner the woman, but also to draw the audience's attention to him.

I am also reminded of recently watching with my class a video of the most recent IBC competition. One male dancer made about 10 revolutions in his pirouette and then, in perfect command of his body, simply stopped and held the position with a small smirk on his face. It made a greater impression on the class than anything else in the video.

For me it is clean lines, wonderful partnering and that unexplainable quality of charisma (similar to simpatico, I think but more commanding).

Adam Cooper has charisma, not always the best technique although there are moments that are sublime, but such a stage presence.

Billy Trevitt, beautiful lines, strong and charismatic.

Michael Nunn, fluid lines, gorgeous movement and he comes into his own with a partner, I must say I have never seen such a marvelous partner. He makes a pdd seem like it's more than the sum of the two dancers (both male and female partners)

Baryshnikov, amazing technique, but for me it has always been his stage presence. He draws me in to the dance, even more so nowadays, than when he danced mostly classical.

Another dancer/choreographer who has caught my eye is Jason Hartley (Washington Ballet), strong and athletic with a certain stage presence that I do hope continues to develop.

There are many others, but these I have seen recently and they made an impression!

An answer to the question in this thread's subject just happened to me this weekend while watching Dance Theatre of Harlem perform Balanchine's Serenade. When the first man came out, I immediately noticed his dancing was very different than the rest of the company on stage. His upper body and chest were so much more open, and his port de bras were beautifully soft, flexible, and expressive, yet there was still a very strong sense of line. His cabrioles to the rear were actually expressive (how does one do that?!), and of course, he had nice light jumps. At intermission, I read the program, and found out who he was (Rasta Thomas), and that he was trained at the Kirov Academy in Washington, DC. He has the honor of being the first American dancer to be a member of the Kirov Ballet. He's also won several important competitions. I'm very interested in following his development as a dancer now.

--Andre

Guest emattdar

For me, the most enjoyable performances are the ones where the dancers show their passion for their art....be they man or woman! :)

D

:yes: My two favorite male dancers are Jose Manuel Carreno and Carlos Acosta.

And, it is not for their superb dancing. It is the way they present, and care for their

ballerina. Carlos even mentioned in an article once that dropping his partner is what he is worried about most. That is why he has done thousands of pushups!!!!!!!

Jose told me that every dancer in the Cuban School goes thru at least 4 years of

Pas De Deux classes. If you have ever seen these two dance, you would see what

I mean.