This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet step names

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:42 PM

And you can always tell when it's in the imperative mood: PLIEZ!!!

#17 minty

minty

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 06:29 AM

Hi Rachel ! You are half-right : plié can be the past participle in a sentence like "j'ai plié les genoux" "I've bent my knees" but I think in ballet it's the adjective which is used like "les genoux pliés" bended knees"
It could not be the infinitive "plier" , but as Mel says , it could be "pliez!" an order :wink:

#18 Rachel

Rachel

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the clarification Minty. I did have Ms. Gingras this summer and enjoyed her authentic pronunciation of the ballet terminoligy.

Rachel

#19 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 08:39 PM

Here's some more clarification: The reason it's an adjective is because the full name of the step is "battement tendu" or "pas jeté," (the last one translates to "thrown step"). So the name of the step itself is not an adjective, but the adjective makes clearer exactly which step the teacher wants you to do :).

#20 Guest_EnPointeForLife_*

Guest_EnPointeForLife_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:48 AM

Hey, this is some great stuff! Especially since I've been taking ballet for three years and I still don't know half of the terms...I'm going to study all of these!!! :blink:

#21 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:09 AM

It is also HIGHLY recommended that all serious ballet students obtain a copy of Gail Grant's Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet, and/or Gretchen Ward Warren's magnificent book Classical Ballet Technique.

The Gail Grant is very inexpensive, the Warren book relatively expensive but well worth it! They are both available through Amazon, and if you click on the link to Amazon, above, and order by going there from this site, the site receives a little tidbit of help! :blink:

#22 ToThePointe

ToThePointe

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:59 AM

I call Gretchen Ward Warren's book the "Classical Ballet Technique" my ballet bible and highly recommend it. It has provided tremendous insight for me.

Gail Grant's Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet is so inexpensive and yet so important I have just decided to buy them in bulk and give them to my graduates of Ballet IIIC as a "job well done" when they enter Ballet IVA. Spend the $5.00 and you will never regret it. It's funny how students will spend that much on a cup of coffee, but not a book. :rolleyes:

Here are two additions to the list that I find commonly misspelled:

Fouetté [fweh-TAY] - Whipped

Pirouette [peer-WET] - Whirl or spin

#23 Guest_gingembre_*

Guest_gingembre_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:43 AM

I have just decided to buy them in bulk and give them to my graduates of Ballet IIIC as a "job well done" when they enter Ballet IVA.

That is such a wonderful thing to do! I'm sure your students love you. :blink:

#24 colwill

colwill

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 09:38 AM

My total knowledge of ballet terms has been gained from a CD entitled BALLET CD-ROM by Victoria Morgan which not only explains over 700 terms but also speaks the term in perfect French and also demonstates in video form each term. :)

It was produced in the USA some years ago but may still be avaiable.

Sorry to be late in the discusion but better late than never :sleeping:

#25 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:01 AM

What's the name of this step that the men do:
1. start in arabesque, bottom knee bent
2. jump off one leg and beat it against the leg in arabesque
3. land in starting position
4. repeat several times and hope that you don't look like a sack of potatoes!

#26 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:27 AM

Those are cabrioles derrieres.

#27 nijinsky1979

nijinsky1979

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:15 AM

Actually, it's a paradox. "A rose is a rose is a rose...." Now, THAT'S a tautology.

Actually, I think it's an oxymoron, not a paradox.

#28 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

Oxymora are paradoxical in their construction. The name "oxymoron" itself is an oxymoron. We were talking way back then about the term "center barre", just to hold things together on topic.

#29 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:57 AM

What is the name of the step or combination of steps where a dancer places the front foot a foot length in front of the back foot, with the front foot facing out, and then leans on the back foot, with arms apart and hands pointing out, before going into a series of turns? I know this description is not clear, but it seems to be a very common thing, so I think maybe someone can figure out to what I am referring.

#30 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

Sounds like one of the routine preparations to fourth position for pirouettes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):