This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pronunciation of Ballet Names

Sofiane Sylve - is it "So-fee-ann" or "Suh-fy-anee"?

Also, for her last name, is it "Seeve" or more like "Silve"?

Wendy Whelan - "Way-lan", or "Well-lan"?

Ashley Bouder - "Boo-der" or "Bow -der"?

Maria Kowroski? Is it "Kuh-rawski" or "Kuh-roh-ski" or "Kuh-ROW-ski"?

Nikolaj Hubbe?

Suzanne Farrell- "Farr-ell" or "Fair-elle"?

Zenaida Yanowsky?

Sofiane Sylve - is it "So-fee-ann" or "Suh-fy-anee"? 

Also, for her last name, is it "Seeve" or more like "Silve"?

.    .    .

Ashley Bouder - "Boo-der" or "Bow -der"?

Maria Kowroski? Is it "Kuh-rawski" or "Kuh-roh-ski" or "Kuh-ROW-ski"?

Nikolaj Hubbe?

so-fee-AHN SEEL-v' (not quite a second syllable)

Ashley BOW-der (rhymes with Louder)

Maria Ko-ROSS-ki

NI-ko-lye HOO-buh

Point well taken, Jorgen. As with many immigrants (although I realize that technically, NH is still a Danish citizen, not an immigrant), the pronunciation gets mangled by those of us on the west side of the Atlantic -- or east side of the Pacific. I posted the pronunciation New Yorkers have (mis)applied. :(

In anticipation of the Bolshoi's North American tour this summer, can anyone guide me on the pronounciation of Tsiskaridze, Belogolovtsev and Antonicheva?

Hi nysusan,

I have just consulted with my girlfriend who listened to me saying those names in Russian several times :) and after that she kindly transcribed for me what she's heard (rigid rules of Russian spelling and Russian-to-English transcription left aside):

Tsiskaridze - Tiz-ca-ri'ze (with the emphasis on the third syllable "RI")

Belogolovtsev - Bella-ga-loaf'-tef (with the emphasis on 'loaf' part :) )

Antonicheva - An-to'-ni-chi-va (with the emphasis on the second syllable)

Lucky you nysusan! :angry2:

You will get to see all those dancers! :tiphat:

Hoping to read later about their performance! :beg:

Thank you Marianna! Yes, I am lucky to have the opportunity to see all these great dancers, but my bank account is not feeling very lucky since I bought the tickets!

I may have to subsist on bread & water this summer to make up for all the money I've spent on NYCB,ABT & now the Bolshoi. Then again, I might lose some weight on a bread & water diet so it's all good!

Guest nycdog

How is 'la Cour' pronounced? I'm assuming it's like 'Coors' beer without the s, but might it be cow'rr?

Angel and Carmen are Ko-RAY-yah.  (In Spanish, a double "L" makes the sound of a "Y", as in "yes.")

This is true for Latin America. In much of Spain there's a hint of the "L" -- along with the "y" -- in the pronunciation of the LL.

However, in contemporary Spain, as in Britain, it's increasingly okay to utilize pronunciations based on region, class, age, and attitude.

:helpsmilie:  Solymosi?  I've heard people pronounce it so that it sounds like the surname of NYCB's Jennie.

Did it sound like Sho-li-mosh-i?

From my miniscule knowledge of Hungarian pronunciation, that's my thought.

I also have a BBC documentary where they make an announcement from the ROH about him and I seem to remember them using a pronunciation something like that.

I also remember hearing the name of the Hungarian soprano Sylvia Sass as

"Shash"

But I can't claim to be enything like an expert here

Richard