This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Season Wrap-up

Now that we've had time to go away, digest the season and compose our thoughts, what did we think?

Here's my questionnaire:

How would you compare the '02-03 season to the '01-'02? Were you more or less pleased?

What ballet looked in the best shape to you?

What ballet looked in the weakest shape?

Your favorite dancer of the season (subcategories - your favorite "old reliable" and your favorite newcomer)

Who was the most improved dancer?

Who was the season's MVP? (The dancer they just couldn't have done without)

Who did you miss the most?

Feel free to add any of your own observations!

I'm going to post the same questions on the ABT forum.

1) Overall, I was much more pleased with this season (and the winter season, too) then the past several. The dancers are looking much more focused, rehearsed, and healthy. Also, there is a great crop of talent in the corps, who are fabulous to watch.

2) Best shape ballet(s)- Brahms-Schoenberg, Who Cares?

3) Worst shape ballet- this is a hard one because several ballets had their 'off' nights... umm.... maybe Reliquary?

4) Favorite dancer-

a- Old Reliable- Maria Kowroski; technical command, incredible legs, starting to come in to her own. Also dances an extended repertory, which I think is admirable. She's asked to perform quite a bit. I would also like to give a second place to Jenifer Ringer... so romantic and feminine. Lovely to watch. For the men- Peter Boal and Jock Soto.

b- New comer- Megan Fairchild; a little dynamite of talent. Can't wait to see her grow artistically. On the men's side- Seth Orza is still impressing me.

5) Most improved dancer- Abi Stafford is starting to loosen up a little and while her presence doesn't match her technique, it is becoming more defined. Rachel Rutherford is evolving into some great material at the soloist level. Male- Adam Hendrickson.

6) Season MVP- Alexandra Ansanelli; danced practically every night, stayed healthy, looked great. Second place, for me, goes to Jennie Somogyi (she's just so strong and robust!). Maybe Whelan as 3rd (she's just not a favorite of mine).

For the men- Ben Millepied.

7) Missed the most- Jared Angle; he was back, then he wasn't, etc etc. He's a great talent and I wish he could stay healthy.

*** Own comment- Hooray for Miranda Weese making her complete return. She was missed during her recovery. It was wonderful to see her dancing at full capacity.

Also- it was a season for some strong new works- Carnival of the Animals, Liturgy... and also Carousel (I know it didn't debut this season, but it made a strong showing in it's second time around), Guide to Strange Places wasn't too terrible.

Edited by ballerina1023

How would you compare the '02-03 season to the '01-'02? Were you more or less pleased?

I was more pleased. Partially because I think I made better choices about what to see but also because I saw more dancers and they for the most part looked better than they had before.

What ballet looked in the best shape to you?

I’m not sure I can pick one as “best.” Glass pieces looked well-taken care of. Midsummer looked good, but it always does.

What ballet looked in the weakest shape?

Hmm. Reliquary looked worse than it needed to.

Your favorite dancer of the season (subcategories - your favorite "old reliable" and your favorite newcomer)

Old reliable: Peter Boal (hadn’t seen him in the Winter Season), Kyra Nichols. I’m not sure that there was a “newcomer" I really liked, just some dancers that are continuing to grow on me – Adam Hendrickson comes to mind.

Who was the most improved dancer?

I think Janie Taylor continues to grow and improve, as does Abi Stafford. Miranda Weese looked measurably better after her injury (I didn’t see her in the Winter). Jonathan Stafford improved as the season went on.

Who was the season's MVP? (The dancer they just couldn't have done without)

Ansanelli; Whelan.

Who did you miss the most?

Somehow I never saw Woetzel. I always miss Albert Evans even when I see him because it’s never enough.

I'm in general agreement with ballerina 1023.

1) The corp seems generally improved. I keep notes on all the ballets we see and two years ago I had constant critical comments about the corps. This year those remarks disappeared.

2) Best and worst ballet. I'm not sure.

3) Favorite dancer. Kowroski is old reliable. However, I would give first place to Jenifer Ringer. I've really enjoyed her this year. Among the men I would have a hrad time choosing between Soto, Boal and Woetzel. On second thought add Chuck Askegard to that list.

4) Most improved dancer: Not sure

5) Season MVP. Definitely Alexandra Ansanelli. We saw her quite a bit this year and she always gave her performanc her all. I'm not sure among the men, but would not disagree the Ben Millipied is a good candidate.

6) Missed the most. Nick Hubbe. Did he dance at all in the Spring? We awere all over the map in terms of performances we went to but we did not see him after the night he injured himself.

Finally a comment on Vespro. I've seen it twice and still do not know what to do with this ballet. I find it difficult to take in. I don't get it. For example, I see references to classical dance and it all looks contrived. Just sort of thrown in in some chaotic way. But hey, what I know I'm the village idiot. I've never seen one ballet that evoked such intense negative emotion. Not only here on the board. I attended a 4th Ring lecture the second time I saw it and some people seemed actually angry. I volunteered that I thought I liked it more the second time. I'm not sure why I said that. Someone replied "Oh your poor man."

I'm sure I can't keep track of all of these categories and questions. Too schematic:

This Spring was Jenny Somogyi's season, I think, as much as Ansanelli's. Everything Jenny did was dominating on the stage, ranging from 1st and 2d Movement in Symphony in 3 Movements, to Agon, to Odette/Odile, as far as Brahms Schoenberg 2d. I'd say Alexandra won the batting title but Jenny had the "Slugging Percentage," Somogyi the company's Barry Bonds and Ansanelli its Derek Jeter -- with Maria K as the all-star 1st Baseman. (Eric might remember starting such speculations some years ago as per "who wears # 44?", I recall he suggested Igor Zelensky!). I hope none of them will be incensed by the comparison, God Bless Them, I love them all. Watch that no one steps on their toes.

The highlight of the season for me, the one moment that transcended itself, was Peter Boal and Alexandra Ansanelli in their debut performance in the 3d Movement in Brahms Schoenberg, which was something I will never ever forget, so tranfixed was I, so transported to another world. But I find it somewhat revealing that my highlight of the season was one brief movement on one night of a longer ballet. I do not think that this was the most memorable season performance wise, although it was one of great promise and growth for many dancers.

Among the men I think it was something of a transition season -- very uneven overall, no one standing out particularly and with some, including Charles Askegaard, to some degree off their forms. The trueism that the company grows its own ballerinas but has to trade heavily for its ballerinos remains somewhat true. Someone should tell Daniel Ulbricht that a football player's build below the waist is not attractive. Someone should keep all the younger men away from the weight room. There is a tendency for so many of them to want to look line linebackers,m even Amar Ramassar is suddenly looking like he could audition for the world wrestling federation. Taste is famous for being not debatable but I for one think it is neither classical nor attractive. I wonder if the powers that be actually don't want noble carriage and noble lines, they certainly do eveything to avoid it.

In all, Sebastien Marcovici quietly emerged this year as a classical dancer (Gosh I'd never thought I'd be saying that). A wonderful dancer with that something more that can't be defined in his being which is so necessary to artistry. I am now a believer. Also Jonathan Stafford showed something more that I had previously imagined.

The corps de ballet remade itself. But it always does by each Spring. This crop of apprentices -- particularly Jessica Flynn and Sterling Hyltin -- was extraordinary. In all, there is extraordinary young talent in the company, the last two years have been very fruitful in that connection.

One must mention Tess Reichlen emerging. There are several dancers, like her, who await only the occasion to show what they can do.

This was a season that neither added to, nor resolved, pending doubts and issues. We await Ms. Sylve and Mssr. De Luz in the fall. Sofiane Sylve's presence, last winter, was vital to the sense of balance in the company. Perhaps Robert Tewsley will find a real role. I blame management a deal for failing to use him properly this year (but of course, he does not have the obligatory middle linebacker look!).

We've had several new people register in the past week whose profiles indicate that they're New York-based dancegoers, so I'm bumping this up -- Welcome! This would be a great place to start posting -- what did you see this season? What did you like? Or not :D ?

You don't need to be a Newbie to reply, of course -- where are all the NYCB fans? You've been reporting in all season, but we'd like your summaries, too :wink: