This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballerinas/danseurs who met tragic ends in real life

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

According to this public health information site, measles is caused by a virus and neither antibiotics nor anti-viral treatments cure it.
http://www.idph.stat...b/hbmeasles.htm

I do remember, as a child in the 1950s, that parents were delighted when we caught the measles, as that was the only way to prevent getting it as an adult, which can be much more serious. A vaccine did not become available until 1957. (We had the same situation with the mumps and chicken pox: better to catch it as a child and develop immunity.) I have no idea when the vaccine became available in the Soviet Union, but wouldn't be surprised if it was much later than in the West.

#77 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Thanks, FauxPas, for drawing our attention to this exquisite dancer. I would think that in 1967 (I was 20 years old then and it was certainly not the dark ages) she could have been spared death from measles. Russia was known for its focus on good medical care. My goodness, how tragic! Such prodigious talent! Who knows where it would've taken her?

#78 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

You know, Marga, for all we know, she could have received a vaccine and been allergic to it, also - awful.

#79 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,555 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

You know, Marga, for all we know, she could have received a vaccine and been allergic to it, also - awful.

Since the topic has been raised, I note that given the dreadful toll that of hospitalization, disability, and death commanded by diseases such as the measles in the past, we should be most grateful for vaccines and the benefits they provide for all - not least those who go unvaccinated as "free riders," relying on the fact that others will get vaccinations and so spare them from the chance of falling ill. In California we recently had a measles outbreak attributed in part to the declining vaccination rate. Fortunately most parents are still getting their children vaccinated.

#80 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

Since the topic has been raised, I note that given the dreadful toll that of hospitalization, disability, and death commanded by diseases such as the measles in the past, we should be most grateful for vaccines and the benefits they provide for all - not least those who go unvaccinated as "free riders," relying on the fact that others will get vaccinations and so spare them from the chance of falling ill. In California we recently had a measles outbreak attributed in part to the declining vaccination rate. Fortunately most parents are still getting their children vaccinated.

There is an amazingly high porcentage of the population still resistant to the vaccination process. Even for the simple adult pneumococcal one I'd say I would get probably one agreenment to get it out of 100 offerings to new admissions on the floor during high risk season.

#81 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

I guess I'm a free rider then, as I stopped vaccinations on my oldest children when they were little and refused to have the remaining children vaccinated (for reasons that are very sound to me - and very researched). I used to publish a magazine called Nurturing that was a proponent of homebirth, breastfeeding, and natural, gentle mothering. I ran articles against vaccinations. (Feel free to hate on me now.)

Since we're wondering, I take Mme. Hermine's supposition seriously.

#82 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Measles in an adult can be pretty damaging. Few people recall that in the 1620s and 30s, the Native American population was devastated by a measles epidemic that swept the Americas. Smallpox, nothing. It was measles that took the heavy toll on the Indians.

#83 Hamorah

Hamorah

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

I am so pleased that someone mentioned Paul Clarke earlier on this thread. I immediately thought of him when I started reading this topic and just couldn't remember his name from the clouds of 45 years ago. He was at the Royal Ballet upper school when I was there and he was every girl students' heart throb. Blonde and beautiful and an amazing dancer. I remember leaning over the balcony in the Sadlers Wells Studio to watch the senior mens class just to ogle him! We knew he would get into the company and he did, I believe almost before he finished his training. The story as well as I can remember it, was that he went to the dentist and had a procedure with a full anaesthetic. He was told to rest in order to recover properly from the anaesthetic, but insisted on performing that evening. He died of a heart attack as a result. Absolutely tragic and sadly unneccessary.

Another former dancer to die tragically was Alan Hooper, one of my pas de deux partners at the RBS. (I was always partnered with him and Wayne Sleep, because I was short enough for them!) After his performing career was over he became the Artistic Director of the RAD - an excellent one too. On a visit to Australia for the RAD, I believe that he fell out of a window from a skyscraper.

#84 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:45 AM

I remember Alan Hooper, but had no idea that was how he died. If I remember correctly Jean-Pierre Alban of Festival Ballet also fell from a window to his death, in Sloane Street I think. Not sure if it was an accident or suicide.

#85 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:43 AM

Just before the summer of 1924, Lidia Ivanova, Alexandra Danilova, Nikolai Efimov, Vera Zorina and George Balanchine (who were very young-marrieds) were slated to do a short tour, starting in Germany, as the Balanchine-formed group "Soviet State Dancers" during the Maryinsky's summer holidays, at the invitation of Vladimir Dmitriev. They were the "cream of the young Maryinsky crop" according to Danilova in Choura.

I believe you meant "Tamara Geva" and not Vera Zorina. Zorina was wife #3, Geva was #1.

#86 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

There was a young dancer in the Harkness Ballet who died of a heart attack while she was rehearsing with the company on tour. She had a weak heart and loved dancing so much that (from what I was told) her family let her stay in the company even with all of the danger to her health. Her name was Sarah Thomas. I saw her several times in the studio and in the canteen as I was a trainee at the time in the school. She had a very gentle and sweet look about her. Every time I see Giselle I think about her. So very sad.

#87 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

A very moving story, duffster. Thank you for posting it and for giving us a chance to think about this young dancer and the power of her wish to dance.

#88 Oscar45

Oscar45

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Does anyone have information on the cause of death and date for George Skibine, Ballanchine's brother-in-law? He was with Harkness and Dallas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):