• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 05:42 PM

I was just reading about Lidia Ivanova in The Great Russian Dancers. I had first read about her tragic fate (everyone in the know in the then-dance world says it was planned) in Tamara Geva's memoir, Split Seconds. I'm sure both Danilova and Balanchine had strong beliefs that Ivanova was taken out.

That made me think of Emma Livry (1842-1862), who died after her skirt caught fire from a gas jet suspended above the stage.

Both were very young, Ivanova being only 21.

What other dancers come to mind as meeting tragic ends while in their prime and already known? If we include those who died by their own hand, the list could be quite expansive and tell a story about the rigors and/or politics of ballet life felling some of ballet's best and brightest.

#2 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:20 AM

What happened exactly to Lidia Ivanova?

Well, there is poor little Giuseppina Bozzachi
(who had premiered the role of Swanilda in "Coppélia" shortly before) who died on Nov 23, 1870, just on the day of her 17th birthday, from "variole" (I don't know the English name of that illness), it was a tragic period as it was during the French-Prussian war, in a hard winter and Paris was besieged by the Prussian army.

Yuri Soloviev died in 1977, when he was 36- Koegler's book says "was found shot in his datcha, in rather mysterious circumstances".

Nijinsky wasn't especially young when he died, but one can consider he really had a tragic end...

(And actually Livry died in 1863- she was burnt in 1862, but the poor creature survived 8 months before dying...)

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:36 AM

Patrick Bissell (ABT) comes immediately to mind when I try to recall tragic deaths, as do Edward Stierle and Maximiliano Zomosa (Joffrey).

(BTW-"variole" is smallpox - an awful way to go.)

#4 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Major Mel!

How did the dancers you mention die?

#5 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:36 AM

Joseph Duell jumped out a window to his death, I believe in 1988, soon after he had attained stardom at NYCB. It was said he was suffering from depression.

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 06:55 AM

Patrick Bissell died of a drug overdose one Christmas. Eddie Stierle died of AIDS -- not sure about Zomosa, so I'll let someone else answer that.

There were quite a few dancers who were burned to death by gaslight, although Livry was the most famous (there was an English dancer, too, one of John Weaver's, but I can't think of her name.)

#7 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 07:45 AM

What a terrible day it was when I came home from work and saw the picture of Joe Duell on the news. He was a handsome, kind person who showed much promise as a choreographer.

Stierle died of AIDS at 23 years of age. He too showed much promise as a choreographer.

I did not know Zomosa, but I believe he stabbed himself to death, seeing no other way out of a love triangle.

#8 Guest_Kaitlin_*

Guest_Kaitlin_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:57 AM

Emma Livry was the first to pop into my mind...probably one of the more well-known.

#9 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:04 AM

Sergei Legat

#10 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:06 AM

Heidi Geunther at Boston Ballet a few years ago. I think official cause of death was listed as a heart attack

#11 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 12:00 PM

I still miss Joe Duell.

Bobby Blankshine died of a drug overdose, although there were whisperings that it may not have been accidental. I saw him dance only once, but he filled in for one of my teachers once, giving a great, fun class.

Among the New York dancers lost to AIDS were Bill Carter, David Cuevas and Peter Fonseca. Peter was advancing at ABT, having danced a wonderful Frantz and a brilliant Theme before his illness took hold.

Isadora exited prematurely with a characteristically dramatic flourish.

#12 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 01:35 PM

Just before the summer of 1924, Lidia Ivanova, Alexandra Danilova, Nikolai Efimov, Vera Zorina and George Balanchine (who were very young-marrieds) were slated to do a short tour, starting in Germany, as the Balanchine-formed group "Soviet State Dancers" during the Maryinsky's summer holidays, at the invitation of Vladimir Dmitriev. They were the "cream of the young Maryinsky crop" according to Danilova in Choura.

Ivanova was very popular and quite the party-girl. Unfortunately, those she partied with were Communist bigwigs and after awhile, Lidia just knew too much. She was perhaps too young to be discriminating and politics probably didn't mean too much to her. Her friends warned her not to continue her close relations with the "questionable characters", but she revelled in the admiration and flattery they heaped on her.

The night of Ivanova's "accident", the group was preparing to perform outdoors in Izmailovsky Park in then-Leningrad. Ivanova wasn't there yet. Shortly before the performance, the group was told she had been killed the previous day while out boating on the river.

Danilova tells in Chourathat Ivanova had phoned her the day before asking her to come along with her and her officer friends, and that she would have gladly accepted the invitation, but was not at home when the phone call came. Geva, in Split Seconds tells it differently. She has Danilova telling them that she had been asked to join Ivanova and the 3 men but that the boat only had room for 4 and that Danilova hadn't really felt like going, anyway.

The intrigue is that the men on the motorboat survived -- in fact, ropes were handed down to them from the ferry that hit the little boat. Lidia was presumably sucked under the boat and into the propeller. Her body was never recovered. There was little investigation into her death, and any inquiries were silenced in short order.

The next night the 3 rescued officers were seen having a high old time at dinner, drinking and toasting each other.

The fact that she was a casualty of the Bolshevik Revolution sunk in to the group of young dancers even more strongly over time. When they were summoned back to Russia at the end of the summer, they knew it better not to return. It was during this tour that they met up with Diaghilev, and the rest, you no doubt know.

Geva gives the most heart-rending account of the whole incident. Her descriptions breathe such life into the young Balanchine (he was only 20) and Danilova (21). If you can find a copy of Split Seconds I highly recommend it. I first read my mother's copy a few years ago and am glad to have my own now to reread when I want a taste of the times.

Choura is a brisker read, but also very revelatory of those early years and a must for anyone who wants to piece together the beginnings of the Balanchine era.

#13 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:09 PM

Charles Ward -- a tall attractive dancer who died of AIDS as well. I remember him most vividly as Frantz, charmingly partnering Kirkland in a performance of Coppelia at the Kennedy Center; he was much taller than she and she just drifted down like a feather from their lifts in Act III. I think he danced the premier of ABT's production of Neumeier's Baiser de la Fee, and I'm sure I saw him in some Tetley as well. He also appears for a few minutes in The Turning Point...I recall reading that he spent time towards the end of his life helping care for others with AIDS.

Spessivetzeva also had what might be called a 'tragic' life, though she did not die young. She has been lovingly discussed on other Ballettalk threads...

#14 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 09:13 PM

That's for remembering Charles Ward, Drew. I remember watching a tape of the Kirkland/Baryshnikov "Nutcracker" years ago and realizing, that nearly every man in that waltz of the flowers was dead -- none over 30.

Peter Fonseca of AIDS (and his brother, Paul, also a dancer, a modern one in DC); Clark Tippet, a very promising choreographer, in my book, of AIDS. Choo-San Goh, of AIDS.

#15 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 01:37 PM

Greatly mourned by Evelyn Hart (who called him her mentor) and the dance world in Canada, especially the RWB, is Henny Jurriens, who -- along with his wife Judy -- was killed in a 2-car collision on a highway south of Winnipeg on April 9th, 1989. Their 3 year old daughter was injured but survived. They were on their way to the States to pick up their landed immigrant documents.

Jurriens joined the Royal Winnipeg Ballet as a principal dancer in 1986 and became Evelyn's partner. He became artistic director of the company in 1988.

Two months later, principal dancer David Peregrine, also of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and one of Evelyn Hart's earlier partners, died in a plane crash. In response to mbjerk below (I am editing this post for clarity), yes, he was at the controls of the plane when it crashed into a mountain.

Louisville Ballet dancer, Patricia Olalde, who "displayed considerable gifts as a choreographer" (quote by Louisville Ballet's Alun Jones), also died in that crash, as did Peregrine's brother.

Just last year, the dance world lost extremely talented William Marrié, who had been principal dancer with the National Ballet of Canada before being picked by Twyla Tharp to star in "Movin' Out" (as "Eddie"). On Friday, November 15, 2002, Marrié's beloved 2001 Ducati motorcycle collided with a taxicab in midtown Manhattan. He died early Saturday morning of his injuries.

He was only 33 years old, a native of Montreal. He did everything in the extreme, onstage and off. He had intense energy and joie de vivre. He only started ballet in his late teens and joined the National Ballet in 1990. He also danced with La La La Human Steps in Montreal. He was the one you watched when he was onstage, even when he partnered a wonderful ballerina.

He left behind a lot of mourning dancers on both sides of the border.

Edited for clarity and to add information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):