This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

July Shows

Guest ilive2danz

Guest ilive2danz

Does anybody know if the SF ballet is going to be having any ballets in the month of july???

Thanx

Yes -- the annual performance at Stern Grove will be held on Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 2:00 p.m. [stern Grove is an outdoor venue in the Sunset District of San Francisco; admission is free, but crowds are enormous. Arrive well before noon to stake out territory.] The program will be Allegro Brillante, Waltz Project (Peter Martins) and Makarova's staging of Paquita.

The program is a triple bill -- comprised of three different ballets from San Francisco Ballet's repertoire. The opener is Allegro Brillante, a 1956 work by George Balanchine set to Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 3. There is no plot; the work is brief (13 minutes). The middle work, Waltz Project, was premiered by SFB earlier this season. Choreographed by Peter Martins, it is a collection of 13 different waltzes by as many different composers. The final work on the program is Paquita, a surviving fragment of an otherwise lost work originally choreographed by Marius Petipa and staged for this production by Natalia Makarova. Does this information help?

Guest ilive2danz

Yes, that helped a lot. Im going to California on the 24 so I'm praying I can go. Do you think if I typed in Stern Grove into a directory I would get good directions?

P.S sorry for bothering you.

Stern Grove is right off 19th Avenue in the Sunset District of San Francisco. It is easily accessible on the Muni bus line. A ride on the Muni is only 35 cents for people under 18 and $1.00 for those over 17. My daughter and I are planning to attend and really looking forward to it. Bring something to sit on, it is just a field from my understanding. There are a few chairs, but they fill up hours ahead of time and are usually reserved for the handicapped or senior citizens according to my daughter who has been there before for a SFB performance.

Guest ilive2danz

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm really excited to go now and I will be sure to post what I saw but I'm sure it's going to be great! Thanks again, Kristina;)

Guest ilive2danz

Hello everyone, I went to the Stern Grove Festival this summer and it was great! The only problem was we arrived a little late and we wound up sitting up on the hill covered in dirt. Still, I'm glad that I got to go. It was really cold that day so the dancers wern't able to perform Paquita(I think), I was really looking foward to because the costumes were so pretty. Well next time we're going to try to reserve a table because I didn't really enjoy sitting in the dirt.( If you were there I was one of the people slipping down the hill with sandals on!)