This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

July Shows

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ilive2danz_*

Guest_ilive2danz_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:53 AM

Does anybody know if the SF ballet is going to be having any ballets in the month of july???
Thanx

#2 Francis Timlin

Francis Timlin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 10:55 AM

Yes -- the annual performance at Stern Grove will be held on Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 2:00 p.m. [Stern Grove is an outdoor venue in the Sunset District of San Francisco; admission is free, but crowds are enormous. Arrive well before noon to stake out territory.] The program will be Allegro Brillante, Waltz Project (Peter Martins) and Makarova's staging of Paquita.

#3 Guest_ilive2danz_*

Guest_ilive2danz_*

Posted 25 June 2003 - 10:58 AM

So it's ballet outdoors???

#4 Francis Timlin

Francis Timlin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:09 AM

Yes. If you are in The City that weekend, I highly recommend it.

#5 Guest_ilive2danz_*

Guest_ilive2danz_*

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:11 AM

Briefly, what is it about?

#6 Francis Timlin

Francis Timlin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:25 AM

The program is a triple bill -- comprised of three different ballets from San Francisco Ballet's repertoire. The opener is Allegro Brillante, a 1956 work by George Balanchine set to Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 3. There is no plot; the work is brief (13 minutes). The middle work, Waltz Project, was premiered by SFB earlier this season. Choreographed by Peter Martins, it is a collection of 13 different waltzes by as many different composers. The final work on the program is Paquita, a surviving fragment of an otherwise lost work originally choreographed by Marius Petipa and staged for this production by Natalia Makarova. Does this information help?

#7 Guest_ilive2danz_*

Guest_ilive2danz_*

Posted 25 June 2003 - 04:15 PM

Yes, that helped a lot. Im going to California on the 24 so I'm praying I can go. Do you think if I typed in Stern Grove into a directory I would get good directions?
P.S sorry for bothering you.

#8 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 08:24 PM

We love google.

I'm not a San Franciscan, but these look like the correct directions.

http://www.thedragon...dule/stern.html

And by the way, you WILL post about what you saw? Right? ;)

#9 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 08:15 AM

Stern Grove is right off 19th Avenue in the Sunset District of San Francisco. It is easily accessible on the Muni bus line. A ride on the Muni is only 35 cents for people under 18 and $1.00 for those over 17. My daughter and I are planning to attend and really looking forward to it. Bring something to sit on, it is just a field from my understanding. There are a few chairs, but they fill up hours ahead of time and are usually reserved for the handicapped or senior citizens according to my daughter who has been there before for a SFB performance.

#10 Francis Timlin

Francis Timlin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 09:19 AM

Here is a link to the Stern Grove website:

http://www.sterngrove.org

Note that there is a pre-performance lecture at 12:00 noon on performance day (July 27).

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for this information, Francis -- it's much appreciated.

And now that we know that at least two, if not three, people will be seeing this, I second Leigh's plea -- PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU SAW AND WHAT YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT :D Thanks!

#12 Guest_ilive2danz_*

Guest_ilive2danz_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm really excited to go now and I will be sure to post what I saw but I'm sure it's going to be great! Thanks again, Kristina;)

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,932 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:05 PM

Let me reiterate Francis' excellent point about arriving early. It can get very hairy. I won't be one of the people seeing it -- it's just a bit much for me nowadays. Maybe next year I'll have more stamina.

#14 Guest_ilive2danz_*

Guest_ilive2danz_*

Posted 09 August 2003 - 07:05 AM

Hello everyone, I went to the Stern Grove Festival this summer and it was great! The only problem was we arrived a little late and we wound up sitting up on the hill covered in dirt. Still, I'm glad that I got to go. It was really cold that day so the dancers wern't able to perform Paquita(I think), I was really looking foward to because the costumes were so pretty. Well next time we're going to try to reserve a table because I didn't really enjoy sitting in the dirt.( If you were there I was one of the people slipping down the hill with sandals on!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):