• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 07:33 PM

Too bad ABT doesn't have Crankos "Holberg Pas de Deux" (which Kevin McKenzie danced at Joffrey) in the rep. They could cast Halberg in Holberg.

#47 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 04:54 AM

Speaking for myself (well, who else would I be speaking for?), I do find casting for ABT more important in terms of ticket buying than repertory. Not so with NYCB.

Might this be worthy of a thread or even a poll?

zerbinetta, it does make a difference to me who is dancing at NYCB...but I have to admit, that unless there is a particular dancer I can't stand :wink: , I do look more at what is being performed at NYCB than by whom...as opposed to ABT where I am generally more interested in who is dancing what. That said, I do care what is being danced at ABT...and will try to avoid certain ballets sometimes. How's that for a confusing statement? :)

I suppose this brings us back to the feeling that ABT is more "star" driven. :yawn: :)

#48 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 06:23 AM

For me, casting counts in my choosing to go to ballet. When one is not able to see many performances during the season, one tries to choose what to see.
As lovely as D Kistler in the role of Titania, wouldn't one want to see K Nichols or M Weese or C Korbes etc. in this role?
Joe

#49 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 10:59 AM

zerbinetta, it does make a difference to me who is dancing at NYCB...but I have to admit, that unless there is a particular dancer I can't stand  :wink: , I do look more at what is being performed at NYCB than by whom...as opposed to ABT where I am generally more interested in who is dancing what. That said, I do care what is being danced at ABT...and will try to avoid certain ballets sometimes. How's that for a confusing statement? :)

I suppose this brings us back to the feeling that ABT is more "star" driven. :yawn:  :)

BW, I did not mean to imply that casting was unimportant to me at NYCB nor that repertory was unimportant at ABT. What I said was "more important" in both cases.

I definitely agree that there are dancers I avoid at both companies & repertory I avoid at both companies but NYCB is more repertory driven &, as you mentioned, ABT more star driven, as it has always been & not such a bad thing.

I feel pretty lucky to have such an embarrasment of riches.

#50 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:50 PM

As long as ABT has six weeks of full-lengths, I would say that casts are more important there. I once went to see a (NYCB, actually) Sleeping Beauty with an Aurora I would normally leave town to avoid, but since I was a big fan of her Prince, the Lilac, and several other prominent soloists, I thought I could manage to derive enough pleasure from the performance to justify attending.

WRONG! :)

Mixed bills make it easier to endure cast disasters. Ergo: Mixed bills (which predominate at NYCB) are less reliant on casting than evening-length ballets, where you're stuck with the leads all night, so you better like them at least a little.

#51 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 07:10 PM

Opening Night:

ABT’S OPENING NIGHT GALA AT CITY CENTER TO CELEBRATE 100 YEARS OF GEORGE BALANCHINE AND SIR FREDERICK ASHTON

MUFFIE POTTER ASTON & SHERRELL ASTON, JULIA & DAVID KOCH AND GRACE & CHRIS MEIGHER TO SERVE AS GALA CO-CHAIRS

AKRIS TO SPONSOR OCTOBER 22ND BENEFIT

9/30/2003 - American Ballet Theatre’s Opening Night Gala at City Center on Wednesday, October 22 at 7pm will include a salute to the centennials of George Balanchine and Sir Frederick Ashton. The Gala evening, chaired by Muffie Potter Aston and Sherrell Aston, Julia and David Koch and Grace and Chris Meigher, will be sponsored by Akris. Albert Kriemler of Akris will serve as underwriting co-chair.

In paying tribute to two choreographic masters of the 20th century, American Ballet Theatre will perform Balanchine’s Theme and Variations and Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux and the Revival Premiere of Ashton’s Symphonic Variations. The program will also include the Revival Premiere of Agnes de Mille’s Three Virgins and a Devil, the Diana & Acteon Pas de Deux and the Company Premiere of Christian Spuck’s Le Grand Pas de Deux.

A Gala dinner at New York’s Plaza Hotel will immediately follow the performance. Gala benefit tickets, which include orchestra seats to the performance and the post-performance dinner dance, are priced at $1,500 and $1,000. For Gala benefit ticket information ONLY, please call American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239.

Performance-only tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s opening night at City Center are priced at $45 to $125 and are available by calling CityTix at 212-581-1212. City Center is located on West 55th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues in New York City.

American Ballet Theatre’s City Center season, which continues through November 9, is sponsored by Movado Watch Company, a leading benefactor. ABT’s 2003 City Center season is made possible with public funds from the New York State Council on the Arts, a State Agency.

#52 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 08:23 PM

:) Thanks, Dale!

And thanks, too, to ABT for satisfying my gnawing need to know the chairpersons of the event. Now that I have that info, I am vaguely curious about the gala's casting. :)

#53 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 05:12 AM

Carbro,
I just have a feeling you are not going to get a personal invitation from any of the chairpersons mentioned.
Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):