This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The Most Beautiful Faces in Opera

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:20 PM

Elizabeth Schwartzkopf.
Eleanor Steber.
Anna Moffo (remember when she got in trouble for those risque roles?)
Lily Pons for figure, if nothiing else. Good gracious.
Corelli, of course. Sigh....although I am not a tenor groupie....
I always love Thomas Stewart (I happen to like the eyebrows.....)
Sherrill Milnes

Callas in a class by herself

Juan Diego Flores, Thomas Hampson, Jose Cura....now.

#17 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:34 AM

Lisa Della Casa - a softer Grace Kelly.

#18 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:45 AM

Another beauty whom I remember from my childhood: Rise Stevens.

#19 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 12:02 AM

Just wondering if we should separate our faves in terms of Beauties Onstage, Beauties Offstage & Beauties OnorOff.

For instance, Kiri te Kanawa, who was one of the most breathtaking women on any stage, offstage is an attractive woman with overly close-set eyes. Rise Stevens was chic & attractive enough offstage but on, the woman was dynamite.

Anderson, Battle, Fleming & Mattila are in the OnorOff category.

Deborah Voigt & Jessye Norman look like very big ladies onstage but off they are both quite beautiful women.

#20 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:18 PM

I stumbled across an album today in the opera section at Barnes & Noble. This Greek "tenor," Mario Frangoulis, is very good looking. :thumbsup: He doesn't exactly count as an opera singer, I don't think; he's more along the lines of Russell Watson and Josh Groban. I listened to one of his songs featured on a free sample cd, and even though I generally don't like the "opera-pop fusion," his music isn't that bad. :rolleyes: Anyone else heard of him, have any thoughts?

#21 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:33 PM

Ah, and I just bought a Turandot highlights cd, featuring Montserrat Caballé as Liu. She is quite beautiful.

#22 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 06:09 AM

Sam Ramey
Sherrill Milnes (as Athanael in Thais? to die for)
Dwayne Croft

#23 jorgen

jorgen

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:20 AM

Anna Netrebko , young soprano of the Mariinsky, is extremely beautiful. She sang at the televised St Petersburg 300th anniversary gala concert last May. She has a wonderful voice too. See her here:
http://www.annanetrebko.com/
:crying:

#24 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:48 AM

Does anyone remember Viorica Cortez, a Romanian soprano? I thought she was beautiful.

#25 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 09:34 AM

I was watching my "Great Moments in Opera" video the other day and came up with another to add: Judith DePaul.

I think Marilyn Horne has a very beautiful face.

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,486 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 10:39 AM

Anna Netrebko , young soprano of the Mariinsky, is extremely beautiful. She sang at the televised St Petersburg 300th anniversary gala concert last May. She has a wonderful voice too. See her here:
http://www.annanetrebko.com/

I just found this review of Netrebko's first solo CD on the andante.com website; it was originally from the Raleigh NC The News and Observer. There's a stunning photo of her on the album cover, as wonderful as the review of her singing: andante.com

#27 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 03:01 PM

I worked wtih Anna Netrebko in the late '90's at SF Opera. What a talent. Head and shoulders above everyone else and drop dead gorgeous. All the guys on the crew had a huge crush on her (even the gay ones).

Two up and comers who have simply beautiful faces (and voices) are Donita Volkwejn and Suzanne Ramo.

Mel Ulrich is a truly dreamy baritone. Bryn Terfel is kind of goofy looking in person, but onstage he's quite charismatic.

#28 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 10:38 PM

Haven't heard of Viorica Cortez & just looked her up online & found nothing. But remember Victoria Vergara, wonderful Carmen, Dulcinee & Baba at NYCO a while back. Actually one of the on stage rather than off beauties as she had one of those large faces that read right into the 4th ring but offstage was a bit .. large.

Farrell Fan (I think it was farrellfan) why "in the eyes of the beholder"? Isn't that the case whatever?

&, yes, Marilyn Horne has the most amazing skin I've ever seen on a real live person.

#29 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:26 AM

There's an article on Anna Netrebko in the latest issue of Opera News. It could have easily passed for a spread featuring a supermodel. Her boyfriend, baritone Simone Alberghini, is also quite good-looking. I wasn't very successful in finding an image of him on Google, except for an itty-bitty one on the Washington Opera website.

#30 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:36 AM

Viorica Cortez was I thought quite beautiful; she did a wonderful Carmen at the Lyric Opera in Chicago years ago. She gained a great deal of weight after that, and unfortunately some years ago was in a car accident in Romania that evidently took the life of her husband, I don't know how badly she was injured. Someone on eBay is selling a couple of photos, they are the only ones I ever saw that look the way I remember her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):