#16 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 06:20 PM

Elizabeth Schwartzkopf.
Eleanor Steber.
Anna Moffo (remember when she got in trouble for those risque roles?)
Lily Pons for figure, if nothiing else. Good gracious.
Corelli, of course. Sigh....although I am not a tenor groupie....
I always love Thomas Stewart (I happen to like the eyebrows.....)
Sherrill Milnes

Callas in a class by herself

Juan Diego Flores, Thomas Hampson, Jose Cura....now.

#17 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 06:34 AM

Lisa Della Casa - a softer Grace Kelly.

#18 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:45 AM

Another beauty whom I remember from my childhood: Rise Stevens.

#19 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 12:02 AM

Just wondering if we should separate our faves in terms of Beauties Onstage, Beauties Offstage & Beauties OnorOff.

For instance, Kiri te Kanawa, who was one of the most breathtaking women on any stage, offstage is an attractive woman with overly close-set eyes. Rise Stevens was chic & attractive enough offstage but on, the woman was dynamite.

Anderson, Battle, Fleming & Mattila are in the OnorOff category.

Deborah Voigt & Jessye Norman look like very big ladies onstage but off they are both quite beautiful women.

#20 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:18 PM

I stumbled across an album today in the opera section at Barnes & Noble. This Greek "tenor," Mario Frangoulis, is very good looking. :thumbsup: He doesn't exactly count as an opera singer, I don't think; he's more along the lines of Russell Watson and Josh Groban. I listened to one of his songs featured on a free sample cd, and even though I generally don't like the "opera-pop fusion," his music isn't that bad. :rolleyes: Anyone else heard of him, have any thoughts?

#21 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:33 PM

Ah, and I just bought a Turandot highlights cd, featuring Montserrat Caballé as Liu. She is quite beautiful.

#22 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 06:09 AM

Sam Ramey
Sherrill Milnes (as Athanael in Thais? to die for)
Dwayne Croft

#23 jorgen

jorgen

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 10:20 AM

Anna Netrebko , young soprano of the Mariinsky, is extremely beautiful. She sang at the televised St Petersburg 300th anniversary gala concert last May. She has a wonderful voice too. See her here:
http://www.annanetrebko.com/
:crying:

#24 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 10:48 AM

Does anyone remember Viorica Cortez, a Romanian soprano? I thought she was beautiful.

#25 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 19 July 2003 - 09:34 AM

I was watching my "Great Moments in Opera" video the other day and came up with another to add: Judith DePaul.

I think Marilyn Horne has a very beautiful face.

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 10:39 AM

Anna Netrebko , young soprano of the Mariinsky, is extremely beautiful. She sang at the televised St Petersburg 300th anniversary gala concert last May. She has a wonderful voice too. See her here:
http://www.annanetrebko.com/

I just found this review of Netrebko's first solo CD on the andante.com website; it was originally from the Raleigh NC The News and Observer. There's a stunning photo of her on the album cover, as wonderful as the review of her singing: andante.com

#27 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 03:01 PM

I worked wtih Anna Netrebko in the late '90's at SF Opera. What a talent. Head and shoulders above everyone else and drop dead gorgeous. All the guys on the crew had a huge crush on her (even the gay ones).

Two up and comers who have simply beautiful faces (and voices) are Donita Volkwejn and Suzanne Ramo.

Mel Ulrich is a truly dreamy baritone. Bryn Terfel is kind of goofy looking in person, but onstage he's quite charismatic.

#28 zerbinetta

zerbinetta

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 10:38 PM

Haven't heard of Viorica Cortez & just looked her up online & found nothing. But remember Victoria Vergara, wonderful Carmen, Dulcinee & Baba at NYCO a while back. Actually one of the on stage rather than off beauties as she had one of those large faces that read right into the 4th ring but offstage was a bit .. large.

Farrell Fan (I think it was farrellfan) why "in the eyes of the beholder"? Isn't that the case whatever?

&, yes, Marilyn Horne has the most amazing skin I've ever seen on a real live person.

#29 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 09:26 AM

There's an article on Anna Netrebko in the latest issue of Opera News. It could have easily passed for a spread featuring a supermodel. Her boyfriend, baritone Simone Alberghini, is also quite good-looking. I wasn't very successful in finding an image of him on Google, except for an itty-bitty one on the Washington Opera website.

#30 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 10:36 AM

Viorica Cortez was I thought quite beautiful; she did a wonderful Carmen at the Lyric Opera in Chicago years ago. She gained a great deal of weight after that, and unfortunately some years ago was in a car accident in Romania that evidently took the life of her husband, I don't know how badly she was injured. Someone on eBay is selling a couple of photos, they are the only ones I ever saw that look the way I remember her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):