Othello on PBS

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Arak

Arak

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:31 AM

It was so beautiful, as far as bloody tragedies go that is. I absolutely love Yuan Yuan Tan! Her feet are gorgeous and her legs just go on and on for miles! And she contrasted well with Desmond Richardson, I thought. He's very built and she's so wispy and delicate.

For those who hated the music, just bear in mind that Othello is a very dark story full of jealosy, revenge, plotting, murder, and all the gore that goes with a good Shakespearean tragedy. So it makes sense that it sounds like horror movie music.

I don't get out to many live ballets, since I live in a rural area, so thank God for PBS, right? And my brother, too. I was at freshman orientation at ECU, so he taped it for me.

#32 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 09:05 AM

Thanks, socalgal, for your post (and you too, Mike and Arak).

Cabriole, I think you're right about a certain undercharacterization in the pas de deux, but I suspect the fault, dear Lar, lies not in our stars. :)

#33 Maxi3D

Maxi3D

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 04:16 PM

Maybe through Ms. Leigh's experienced ears the Othello score by Elliot Golbenthal's is horrible :eek:, but to me it is everything that ballet music should be. The score was larger-than-life and with exciting mixture of sound that created a wall of sound to compliment the choreograph. It's one of only few ballet music I can listen from start to finish without falling asleep. Othello has earned a permanent spot in my iPod.

#34 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,214 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 03:08 PM

Thanks, Maxi3D, for forcefully expressing another view. I suspect that I may be unconsciously biased against the ballet, if only for so signally failing to live up to Shakespeare and Verdi. (Yes, I know, Lubovitch went back to Cinthio and not Messrs. S or V, but much as I try, comparisons are unavoidable.)

#35 ballerina idol

ballerina idol

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 09:55 AM

I have to be honest. I really did not enjoy the music. Being a dancer, I tried to find some sort of beat to the music and wondered how the dancers knew when to start dancing. The music seemed to go on and on. Some of the music was easier to hear.
Typically, story ballets are done in classical ballet. I don't know how I feel about the the contemporary movement. It's just my opinion, but I feel like stories seem to be portrayed better through classical ballet.
The dancers were gorgeous! I particularly liked Parrish Maynard. Great job SFB!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):