This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I just wanted to say that Movin' Out's performance at the Tony's was great and I really hope to see the show soon. With so mnay former NYCB and ABT dancers in the leading rolls it's no wonder it does so well. So congrats to the cast and crew of the show even though I believe they only walked away with one award for Billy Joel's orchestration. :D but still congrats:)

Hairspray Sweeps Tonys. Two articles from today's NYTimes:

Bright Colors, Dark Reality Define the Year

It was apparently the right show at the right time.  

In a theater season darkened by war, terrorist alerts and seemingly relentless rain, "Hairspray" proved to be the perfect multicolored, upbeat antidote, winning eight prizes, including best musical, last night at the 57th annual Tony Awards at Radio City Music Hall.

Audiences also seemed to welcome the harsher dose of reality offered by "Movin' Out," Twyla Tharp's dance show set to Billy Joel's music that chronicles working-class friends finding their way in the wake of Vietnam.  

Ms. Tharp won the Tony for choreography. And as if to make sure to thank Mr. Joel himself — and to encourage other pop artists to come to Broadway — the Tony voters gave him the award for orchestrations, which he shared with Stuart Malina. In accepting it, Mr. Joel said, "Just watching all those terrific people perform my songs has been very moving and very gratifying."

Broadway Enjoys Its Moment

Crowds began assembling in front of Radio City several hours before the show, hoping for a glimpse of stars. They were not disappointed. Early arrivals included Antonio Banderas, a nominee for his performance in the musical "Nine," and his wife, Melanie Griffith; both started a near riot by the paparazzi assembled around the 51st Street entrance to the hall. Also causing a hubbub were Marisa Tomei and the ageless Chita Rivera, also in "Nine" and a nominee for best featured actress in a musical.

The telecast began at 8 p.m., but several awards were given out earlier by the Scottish actor and former Tony winner Alan Cumming. "I'm here to hand out some very important awards," Mr. Cumming said. "I'm presenting them before all the civilians tune in."

Also unseen by television audiences but enjoyed by those in Radio City Musical Hall was the sight of the tardy nominee Vanessa Redgrave (Mary Tyrone in "Long Day's Journey Into Night") sprinting down the aisle in heels, and the announcement that Ambien, a sleeping pill, would be one of the broadcast sponsors.

I saw only parts of the show, tuning in mainly to check out the host, but I did like the segment from "Movin' Out" as well.

Otherwise I can't comment, not having seen anything that was nominated. I did read "Take Me Out" (available in paperback from Amazon!) and didn't think much of it, but I'm sure it held up very well against its competition.

I also can't say that Redgrave and Dennehy strike me as ideal casting for their roles in "Long Day's Journey Into Night," although doubtless they are both good.

I wasn't that fond of the "Movin Out" piece. I should re-phrase that, I liked the men's choreography, but Elizabeth Parkinson looked a bit like a rag doll being tossed around.

It was a decent telecast, and I wished I'd seen "Hollywood Arms" and wishing that Kate Mulgrew had been nominated for "Tea at Five" (her portrayal of Katharine Hepburn is as impeccable) but I think that was considered off-Broadway.