Nutcracker video now available

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BarreTalk

BarreTalk

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:00 PM

Each year the Academy of Classical Ballet (Denver Colorado) performs 2 times, the annual Nutcracker and a spring performance of one of the classical ballets. It's one of the primary reasons I take classes there, even though it's a 45 minute drive from home. Last fall, my work/travel schedule (as a TV director/cameraman) pretty much prohibited any possibility of my making enough rehearsals to make performing in Nut realistic. However, our cast was sterling, so I decided to take the opportunity to make a great video of the performance instead.

It took way too many hours of editing time, but the project is now done. Two cameras, titles, credits, slo-motion, dissolves - this is a production I can be proud of, and that is a pretty high standard considering I have several EMMYs sitting on my mantle.

If anyone is interested in seeing a high quality production of a COMMUNITY ballet group (we aren't NYCB and never will be), VHS copies are finally available. E-mail me for details barretalk@aol.com

#2 Jm'sugarplimfairy

Jm'sugarplimfairy

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 01:39 PM

Do they have a Sugar Plum Fairy in it? I know that might seem like a dumb question, but some times in some Nutcrackers they don't have a Sugar Plum Fairy.:)

#3 BarreTalk

BarreTalk

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 07:06 AM

Of course there's a Sugar Plum Fairy! Can't do "Nut" without one.

#4 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:21 AM

You can! Here, in the Nureyev version, it's Clara (or Louisa, or whatever you call her, but here it's Clara) who does that variation.

#5 Jm'sugarplimfairy

Jm'sugarplimfairy

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2003 - 06:08 PM

I wonder why, the Sugar Plum Fairy is the Bomb!!!!!:D :) :D I mean it is cused (the music) The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy :D :D

#6 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 June 2003 - 06:09 AM

In fact, now I've thought more about it, the Royal Ballet's version is the only one I know with a Sugar Plum Fairy...Maillot's version for the Ballets de Monte Carlo doesn' t have one, Bart's version for the Staatsoper in Berlin doesn't eother, nor does the Royal Ballet of Sweden one by .... I can't remember his name right now, sorry, and I don't think the version by mark Morris has one either...I can't remember, but it would very much surprise me!

#7 Jm'sugarplimfairy

Jm'sugarplimfairy

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 10:40 AM

I have the video of the American Ballet Theater the NutCracker and there is no Sugar Plum Fairy:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):