This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dance of the SugarPlumFairy

Guest Mollie Liv

My favorite is Dance of the Reed Flutes or Hot Chocolate. Actually, I love all of it. Tschaikovsky is an amazing composer. 1812 Overture is heaven. :)

Guest Mollie Liv

It is the Spanish dance. I think the official title of it is Hot Chocolate though(I may be wrong).

Mel, it might also be worth mentioning the English gigue that Tchaikovsky initially composed for the ballet after Petipa had mooted a suite of national dances for the Act II divertissement. It can be heard in Graeme Murphy's version of the ballet, where it accompanies Clara's arrival in Australia. By the way, I forgot to thank you for your Carnival in Venice posting in the ballet history section. My video attributes the music for the pas de dix to Pugni, but it has been harmonically and orchestrally altered by a Soviet hand.

With all good wishes

Rodney

My favorites are the Spanish dance (Chocolate) and the March from the party scene, when Drosselmeyer's dolls dance. And Snow, for sure! As an interesting point, several parts are not Tchaikovsky's original work. Both the music for the Children's gallop and the Polichinelle dance are French folk tunes, and supposedly parts of the Arabian (Coffee) dance are from a Georgian lullaby! And just as a question, in the Nutcracker Suite, why were Spanish and Mother Ginger excluded?

Not unusual. Many composers use folk melodies. Petruschka and Firebird are full of Russian folk tunes, the famous theme from Appalachian Spring is a Shaker hymn, Dvorak used the spiritual "Going Home" in his New World Symphony, and according to my sister's mother-in-law, a professor of music, Beethoven incorporated the Jewish prayer, "Kol Nidre" in one of his works.

It's interesting to know the origin of some of the tunes we'd thought were invented by the composers, isn't it?

Oh wow, I don't know how to decide! I like Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy and Waltz of the Snowflakes, but my favorite to play (we're playing the Nutcracker Suite in band for our winter concert) is the Russian Dance. :grinning: