Yuan Yuan Tan

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Arak

Arak

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 11:53 AM

Anyone have the slightest idea how to pronounce her name? I refuse to say it because I have too much respect for her to butcher her name on my American tongue.

#2 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 02:32 PM

Well, it would be hard to spell it out for you since my keyboard doesn't have the Mandarin pronunciation alphabet, and you wouldn't be able to understand it, anyway. When it comes to an English pronunctiation of Chinese, it really doesn't matter how you say it. Chinese people won't expect you to say it correctly. This is the best I can do with the English alphabet:
ren-ren tahn

Or you could just say it like how it looks, the way most non-Mandarin speaking people would.

#3 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 04:49 PM

If I remember correctly a friend of mine from SFB told me (two years ago) that it is pronounced as it is spelled. Maybe Uwon Uwon Tan is easier to understand.

#4 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 06:59 PM

The advanced dancers from the SFBS pronounce it "Won Won" --they dance with her through the season, so imagine it is an acceptable pronunciation to her.

#5 Melodies

Melodies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 01:13 AM

YuanYuan Tan is Chinese way of spell her name. I'm a Chinese, but I don't think I can give you exact pronanaciation here. If you can hear my pronanciation, you will have a clear concept of it.

I'm so happy you like a Chinese dancer, in fact many Chinese ballet dancers are so excellent that they have earned a world-wide reputation. I hope more and more Chinese ballet dancers become world-known in the future.

My English is not good enough. Hope you can understand me.

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:41 AM

Welcome, Melodies! Your English is excellent. We can understand you perfectly, and thank you for posting. There are some fine schools in China and some wonderful dancers, surely -- they do not dance here very often, unfortunately. Yuan Yuan Tan is becoming quite famous though :)

#7 Melodies

Melodies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:00 PM

I feel so happy that people here are so warm to me. Do you know Ms. Zhongjing Fang are working in ABT now? She is also an excellent ballet dancer, young and ready to learn. Many young ballet dancers have gone abroad to join famous oversea ballet groups. Although it's a loss for Chinese ballet, I think it's good for their personal development. Anyhow, ballet is an exotic art.

By the way, I like ABT very much because the principals possess perfect personal techniques, esp. the male dancers.

#8 scuffite

scuffite

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:19 AM

I am Chinese, although not from China ......

Yu - you
An - an (for eg, as in "an" apple)

Pronounce the 2 together fast i.e. don't break it up into 2 syllables.

Won Won sounds pretty far off to me, but as the poster said, is probably "acceptable" to Yuan Yuan Tan.

It is pretty hard to describe but the above is the best I can think of for now.

#9 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 07:26 AM

Scuffite's pronunciation works, and a lot easier to understand than mine. Thanks:)

#10 Melodies

Melodies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:26 PM

Scuffite, Can I ask where are you from, because you are not from China? Nice to meet Chinese here.

#11 Melodies

Melodies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 06:20 PM

Posted Image

The above is the picture of Ms. Yuan Yuan Tan.

#12 scuffite

scuffite

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 09:16 AM

Hi Melodies,

Thank you for the lovely photo. I am from Singapore. I think there are other overseas Chinese posting on this board since there are some other posters from Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong.

Great to have Ballet Alert bringing together ballet lovers from around the world!

#13 Redstorm

Redstorm

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 09:28 AM

Yuan Yuan Tan looks very young in that photo. How old is she there? In the newest issue of pointe magazine where she is featured, she looks much more mature. We have seen her dance in several performances. We had season tickets to the SFB and were fortunate to have tickets on the nights she performed. She is my daughters absolute favorite dancer.

#14 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 10:51 AM

She also looks very different with make-up on.

#15 Melodies

Melodies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 07:17 PM

This photo was taken in 2001 when she is 24 years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):