This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

300th Anniversary Gala on BBC2

At last a programme to justify a ridiculously expensive TV license was shown tonight on BBC2! For those of you not as lucky as we were to catch this, here's what was shown (in order of performance; all excerpts except Dying Swan).

* Khovanshchina (S. Alexashkin/Kirov Chorus)

* The Demon (Kirov Chorus)

Queen of Spades, Act III (D. Hvorostovsky/T. Pavlovskaya/Kirov Chorus/Corp de Ballet)

* Evgeny Onegin (R. Fleming)

* La Bayadere, Act III (D. Vishneva/Sarafanov/Corp de Ballet)

* Boris Godunov (O. Borodina/V. Galudin)

* Polovtsian Dance (Corp de Ballet)

* Vocalize (A. Netrebko)

* Dying Swan (U. Lopatkina)

* Queen of Spades, Final scene (V. Galudin/D. Hvorostovky/Kirov Chorus)

* Le Corsaire pdd (S. Zakharova/I. Zelensky)

* Classical Symphony (Kirov Orchestra)

* Iolanthe (Kirov Chorus)

The highlight of the evening was, needless to say, Lopatkina's Dying Swan. To me she appeared to be in a great shape - certainly better than the troubled state of the summer of 2001. Let's hope this is just a beginning of finer things to come....

Guest Baletoman

Naoko, I agree with you about Lopatkina. I hope, I hope very much, that this is the start of a good period for hre dancing! I would like to wish health and strength to her! And good luck! I hope I will have a chance to see her dancing. I think the Dying Swan is a perfect dance for her "singing" hands and deep emotional image!

It seems to me that in London she will dance with Korsuntsev in the Swan Lake. (Though, my dream is to see her with Zelensky again. May be it will never become true?)

Best wishes