300th Anniversary Gala on BBC2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Naoko S

Naoko S

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:13 PM

At last a programme to justify a ridiculously expensive TV license was shown tonight on BBC2! For those of you not as lucky as we were to catch this, here's what was shown (in order of performance; all excerpts except Dying Swan).

* Khovanshchina (S. Alexashkin/Kirov Chorus)
* The Demon (Kirov Chorus)
Queen of Spades, Act III (D. Hvorostovsky/T. Pavlovskaya/Kirov Chorus/Corp de Ballet)
* Evgeny Onegin (R. Fleming)
* La Bayadere, Act III (D. Vishneva/Sarafanov/Corp de Ballet)
* Boris Godunov (O. Borodina/V. Galudin)
* Polovtsian Dance (Corp de Ballet)
* Vocalize (A. Netrebko)
* Dying Swan (U. Lopatkina)
* Queen of Spades, Final scene (V. Galudin/D. Hvorostovky/Kirov Chorus)
* Le Corsaire pdd (S. Zakharova/I. Zelensky)
* Classical Symphony (Kirov Orchestra)
* Iolanthe (Kirov Chorus)

The highlight of the evening was, needless to say, Lopatkina's Dying Swan. To me she appeared to be in a great shape - certainly better than the troubled state of the summer of 2001. Let's hope this is just a beginning of finer things to come....

#2 Guest_Baletoman_*

Guest_Baletoman_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:20 PM

Naoko,

it seems we visit the same forums

#3 Guest_Baletoman_*

Guest_Baletoman_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:27 PM

Naoko, I agree with you about Lopatkina. I hope, I hope very much, that this is the start of a good period for hre dancing! I would like to wish health and strength to her! And good luck! I hope I will have a chance to see her dancing. I think the Dying Swan is a perfect dance for her "singing" hands and deep emotional image!
It seems to me that in London she will dance with Korsuntsev in the Swan Lake. (Though, my dream is to see her with Zelensky again. May be it will never become true?)
Best wishes

#4 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:59 PM

I think the Gala shown on BBC was filmed on Friday night. On Saturday night President Putin and the visiting heads of state saw a different, and probably more interesting ballet performance at the sumptuous Peterhof Palace by the St. Petersburg Conservatory, according to this report from the St. Petersburg 300th anniversary website.

http://www.300spb.ru...tem.html?id=321

#5 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 11:00 PM

Since we are talking about the same thing on two different forums, I am closing this one. Please continue on the one which was opened first: http://www.balletale...&threadid=11535

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):