Which is America's top company?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Which is America's top company? (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is America's top company?

1. American Ballet Theatre (52 votes [43.33%])

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. New York City Ballet (50 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Other (18 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

Vote

#31 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:09 PM

Here's Clive Barnes on NYCB.

... [T]he [2006-2007] season was notable for how well the company is dancing. The Balanchine/Robbins repertory (and when I see what has happened to the Royal Ballet's Ashston repertory my heart bleeds like that nightingale's) is constantly revolving, constantly renewed [ ...] and such clasic performances are usually pretty much a joy. City Ballet treasures its treasures, and while it does, it will always rank among the world's greatest.

Dance Now, Autumn 2007

#32 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

I just got around to voting. I didn't want to pick either ABT or NYCB -- or any other American company, for that matter -- because I couldn't accept what I thought to be the premise of the choice. then I reread the posts and found the following clarification by Alexandra:

Yes, please take Other to mean Other Option as well as Other Company, e.g.: Neither, Both, None of the Above, The mere idea of ranking companies is repugnant to me, It Depends, etc. :dunno:

So I voted "Other." "Top" for me can't be separated from the idea of "influential.," The two largest New York City based companies just don't have as much influence elsewhere in the country as many appear to think. NYCB has the Balanchine and Robbins repertoire and what is arguably the most respected school. On the other hand, it is almost invisible in the video market and rarely tours. ABT has stars who are are well known around the country, a touring schedule to a few major cities, a variety of brand name full-length ballets, and more video and even YouTube exposure. On the other hand, it does not know how to market and renew its original core reportory repertory (Tudor, etc.) and suffers from a kind of rep schizophrenia.

Maybe there were others who didn't vote because they were uncomfortable with the choices. If so, vote "Other," and tell us what's on your mind. :) This poll definitely deserves a second hearing!

#33 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

The thread shows up every time there is a new vote, whether there is a new post or not.

#34 artist

artist

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

so, San Francisco Ballet isn't included? In what ways does ABT and NYCB dominate over SFB, for example? Is it the Balanchine influence/repertoire?

#35 cahill

cahill

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

I would like to see this survey done again listing more than the New York Companies. What about San Francisco and Miami City Ballet to name just two others that should be included.

#36 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

I would like to see this survey done again listing more than the New York Companies. What about San Francisco and Miami City Ballet to name just two others that should be included.

Good idea. And let's have a chance to vote for something along the lines of: "Impossible to answer this question." :wink:

I think I'm not alone on Ballet Talk in having seen only a few of the companies that are written about regularly here -- or who have not seen some of the big ones recently. Without deep viewing experience over time, I don't see how one could even make a guess.

How about: "Which American ballet company would you most like to be able to see on a regular basis?" -- or "Which American ballet company has the highest reputation?" -- or "Which American ballet company attracts the finest dancers?" Or ... something along that line?

#37 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

I've changed a little since 2003 (thank goodness, eh?), and now I travel to see The Suzanne Farrell Ballet (TSFB) as well as MCB.

#38 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:07 PM

I think what happened is that someone voted in a four year old poll and it dredged up the subject - the question may have been more pertinent at the time; it may have been a response to a recent article concerning the issue, who knows.

Which reminds me, we should probably close some polls after a month or so.

#39 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

I agree, Leigh. (I think there was a "fight" at the time between ABT and City Ballet fans. I will close this thread. If someone wants to start a new poll on the same, or la similar subject, feel free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):