This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Ballet Book - ABT

A picture book/introduction to ballet book is out with photography by Nancy Ellison and text by Hanna Rubin (with additional passages by Susan Jaffe) called, "The Ballet Book; Learning and Appreciating the Secrets of Dance." It's in hardcover for now and costs $45 at the Met, but it might be cheaper elsewhere and on the net. It's an attractive book, with straightforward photos of the company as it was in summer of 2002. I haven't finished reading it but the sections explain ballet positions, auditions, coaching etc.. and has a section for several ballets that comprised ABT's spring 2002 season at the Met.

Did Ashley shorten her name? Because she is listed as Ashley Ellis.

Nancy Ellison has had several books of photography produced and gallery shows. This is her third ballet book, the others being the one on Romeo and Juliet with Herrera and Corella and one on Swan Lake with Nina Ananiashvili. In addition, she often did the promotional photos for ABT, where she is a major contributor and is listed as a Trustie. Ellison appears to be her maiden name, as she had often been Nancy Ellison Rollnick in print (her husband is/was William D. Rollnick), but I noticed this year she is back to being Nancy Ellison.

Hi!

Is the book actually on sale yet? I pre-ordered it and was under the impression that it was not being released until June 10th, give or take a few days. I haven't seen it anywhere, other than the sealed copies in the gallery.

Also, Nancy Ellison and some of the ABT dancers will be the Lincoln Center Barnes & Noble at 7pm on June 11th, in conjuction with the release of the book.

Kate

I want one! So, those of you who have it, what's it like? Full of photos? :( Does it have a lot on the dancers, and the ballets they dance? You say they talk about classes, auditions, and coaching, so does it talk about the life behind the scenes I'm taking it? More detail! I would love to get my hands on this book, for really, reading anything and everything about ballet facsinates me. I've already ransacked and read everything that my teacher owns! :(

Hi!

A big thank you to Dale!! I went to the gallery yesterday and the books had arrived. I'd probably have waited for much longer had I not known to ask.

The dog in several of the photos is really cute! Keep your eye out as he (she?) appears in several pictures in various places!

Thanks!

Kate