This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I wonder if there is a commecially available of Napoli which you would recommend. I ask this because my exposure to Bournonville has been very slight up to now (only La Sylphide in video, and excerpts from Kermesse in Bruges)-

Yesterday I saw Napoli staged by our National ballet company, and i liked it very much

silvy

I'm glad you liked it :) Was it the full ballet, or just the third act?

There was a commercial video of Napoli -- 1989, I believe. I don't know whether it's still commercially available. (Sometimes videos are pulled after a certain time, and I think Napoli may be one of them.)

thank you Alexandra!!! This "Napoli" I saw was only one act (I dont have the stagebill here, so I cannot tell you) - it was one act set in a sort of Italian trattoria, with one pas after the other, one variation after the other, which ended with lovers kissing and everybody celebrating.

I knew some of the music from ballet class.

silvy

I have talked with member of the company that danced the "Napoli" I saw last weekend. Contrary to what I thought, they did not find the ballet tiring at all (despite all the little jumping steps), but very enjoyable to dance. They liked it very much. They are also enjoying the classes a lot (there is a new French ballet master now, who is the one that staged Napoli)

I am glad that we could finally get a glimpse of Bournonville's style down here!!

silvy

silvy, do you know the name of that French ballet master?

From what you wrote, I think that what was shown only was the last act of "Napoli"- well, that's already great, I wish I had an opportunity to see it here (in France)! I saw it only on video (probably the one that Giannina has on laser disc), with Arne Villumsen and Linda Hindberg.

to everybody, especially Estelle

The name of the French ballet master who was guesting in Uruguay is James Amar. I am reading from the stagebill that he was born in 1970 and that he studied at the Paris Opera Ballet school under Serge Golovine, Daniel Franck, Gilbert Mayer and Lucien Duthoit. He danced at France's Youth Ballet, and was a soloist at the Nantes Opera House ballet. He then danced at Rhine's National Ballet . He has worked as guest ballet master in the National Ballet of Nancy, in Lyon's National Conservatoire and Montpellier's Conservatory. He has been invited as ballet master by the National School in Belgrad, the Bakou ballet, Cairo's Opera ballet and Shanghai Ballet. He holds a certificate in Classical Dance Teaching.

He has danced Balanchine, Limon, Tudor, Lifar, Fokine, Jooss, Kylian, Carlson, Preljocaj, Brumachon

hope this info is useful!!! :D

silvy