This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Carnival of the Animals feature on NBC

I saw this (and was thrilled, since it's unlikely I will get up to NYC to see the real deal.) Katie Couric demanded that John Lithgow perform some of the elephant section for her, and he agreed to do so only if she would learn it as well- she seemed a little taken aback (I think it was a non-scripted moment). She wasn't too bad, though not much of an elephant. :)

I caught the end of the segment and almost bought a ticket to NYCB for that night! The fact that I am 170 miles away and had just come back from two days in the city was a bit of a deterrent, though.

We are 6 and a half weeks from the SPAC residency and we have three performances of Carnival. Is there any word on who we might see as the Elephant? Dare we hope that John Lithgow would come here? If so, and if marketed, the place would sell out, which it sadly doesn't too often for the ballet. Yoo Hoo, Dale??? Can you get any info?

At the May 5 NYCB seminar on "Carnival of the Animals," with John Lithgow, Christopher Wheeldon, and Christine Redpath, Lithgow said he'd be going to Saratoga to reprise his role. It wasn't clear to me from what he said whether he'd be doing one performance there or all of them.