This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

My parents have been talking about taking me to see a ballet :) (yipee, at last!) They suggested Manon. I was just wondering what those who have seen it have thought of it, and what the story is about (if it has one), as I know nothing about this ballet.

It's based on an 18th century novel (later made into an opera). Here's the description from the Royal Ballet's press release:

One of Kenneth MacMillan's best-known and much-loved works, this version of Abbé Prévost's Manon Lescaut was created in 1974 to the music of Jules Massenet. The young Manon is attracted by the love of the student Des Grieux but cannot resist the temptations of wealth, and leaves him to become a courtesan to Monsieur G.M. In an unsuccessful attempt to win back the money Manon demands for her return, Des Grieux antagonizes Monsieur G.M. who exacts his revenge by having Manon deported to New Orleans as a prostitute, where further humiliation awaits her at the hands of the lecherous Gaoler. Saved by Des Grieux, in delirium she relives the folly of her life before dying in the arms of her ever-devoted lover. Set against Nicholas Georgiadis's sumptuous Regency designs, it is a work of engrossing narrative and touching sadness that soars to romantic heights before plunging to its climax of despair and death.

So you can see, this is a dramatic ballet, and it's known for its passionate pas de deux.

Don't forget to come back and tell us what you think!

I was going to post a reply earlier, but I finally didn't have the time to. The story is based on the novel Manon Lescaut, the music is by Massenet. It's interesting, because yesterday, I went to see a "Passeport" for Manon at the Opera. They show us like a practice session, and there, it was Delphine Moussin and Hervé Moreau, both Premiers Danseurs (soloists) who were rehearsing with Patricia Ruanne. They were doing the pas de deux from Act I when he is writing to his father. The choreography is very interesting with a lot of good promenades and portés. I can't remember the rest of it, I saw it, but it was a while ago. And it's also interesting to see how they work and the advice given by Patricia Ruanne. I remember that I was meant to see Sylvie Guillem and Laurent Hilaire in it, but she was injured, so I didn't get to see them. I was a bit disappointed, but it was still a good show.