This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Are Ansanelli and Taylor principal dancers?

In interviews leading up to the premiere of "A Guide to Strange Places," Peter Martins emphasized that he choreographed this ballet for principal dancers only. In her review today, Anna Kisselgoff makes the same point, even inserting a parenthesis to eliminate any doubt as to her meaning: "Mr. Martins, unusually, uses 10 principal dancers (no corps or soloists)..." Have I missed something? When were Alexandra Ansanelli and Janie Taylor promoted?

Unfortunately for me, as they are two of my favorites in the company, Ansanelli and Taylor are not principal, but it is certainly interesting how they get principal treatment. When was the last time you saw either one of them in a role that isn't normally reserved for principals only?

It is also of interest to note that both women seem to be the only soloists who aren't often even overlooked for corp members.

Ansanelli and Taylor -- while still soloists -- are dancing principal roles in the new ballet (as well as others). I think Martins' meaning within the context of the interview was that there were no "lesser" (heirarchical) roles in the piece. It's like when a corps dancer is cast as Sugar Plum, as often happens. For that performance, she functions as a principal.

Farrell Fan, do yourself a favor and stop trying to understand. Bitter lesson: trying to understand Martins makes me angry :) , and trying to understand Kisselgoff is just so darned confusing! :confused:

An out-of-towner recently asked me for a response to a Kisselgoff piece, and all I could say was that I believed she was responsible for a lot of cognitive dissonance in New York.

Q: Mr. Martins, will this be the season when Janie Taylor and Alexandra Ansanelli become principal dancers?

A: You mean they're not?

Disclaimer: Any attribution, implied or otherwise, in the comments above to any managerial staff of any large metropolitan ballet company are purely of a satirical nature and should not be interpreted as representing a true and accurate representation of such persons relationship with reality, tenuous or otherwise. Even if it were to explain a good many things.