POLL: Should NYCB do "Swan Lake"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

Poll: POLL: Should NYCB do "Swan Lake" (2 member(s) have cast votes)

POLL: Should NYCB do "Swan Lake"

1. Yes (30 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. No (18 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote

#31 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 07:37 AM

Yes, neoclassicism is part of classicism, as demicaractere and character are part of classicism, but you can definitely separate them. They're different approaches, but also different aesthetics. The quote from Kisselgoff is, I think, an accurate description of City Ballet's aesthetic. It is very far from the aesthetic that produced "Swan Lake." (Although I think Kathleen made a very interesting case for a neoclassical "Swan Lake.")

#32 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 09:46 AM

We haven't yet discussed NYCB's traditional (for them) mode of operation vis a vis casting--that is, that the company does not have "stars," although it has principals, and that casting is only announced at the end of the week previous to the performances. A ballet like Swan Lake does not lend itself to such a system. People tend to want to see particular casts. (For instance,ALonso and Youskevitch.) Philosophically,NYCB has been repertory driven rather than personality driven. Does anyone want to see that change? NYCB has a fabulous neoclassical Swan Lake already, choreographed by George Balanchine. It would be interesting to see it in the rep in the same season as the Martins pastiche, or ferrago, or whatever you call it. I don't think a company presenting Christopher Wheeldon is really strictly formalist and neoclassical. He's something else. Even when he works in those modes he brings in something more. When he works in his story ballet mode, there's nothing neo about him at all.

#33 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 02:51 PM

What Kisselgoff describes as NYCB's aesthetic is only part of the story. Don't forget that Balanchine's Nutcracker probably accounts for more than one third of a year's performances. You may wall that off and say that Nutcracker isn't their "real" aesthetic, their "real aesthetic" is something else. But however you choose to define it away, you've still got to deal with the fact that Nutcracker is nearly half of what they sell. Martins' Swan Lake is very much in NYCB's Nutcracker mode. They do it to sell tickets I think.

#34 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 03:35 PM

Michael do you mean when you said they were in the same "mode" that you feel their Nutcracker and Swan Lake bring in more people than their other programs? :confused:

Does anyone know if NYCB's ticket sales for Swan Lake are really on par with their Nutcracker season? Perhaps I'm really not in the know, but I'd be shocked if this were their second big ticket production.

#35 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 09:55 PM

Wheeldon is going to produce Swan Lake for the Pennsylvania Ballet next year. Then one can gauge where his sensibilities truly lie - with Petipa, Ashton, Balanchine or Martins...

#36 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for this news GWTW, and you'll be there to give us a full report! :) Perhaps I'll make a trip down there for this new Wheeldon one.

#37 brokenwing

brokenwing

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 06:02 PM

A Wheeldon Swan Lake?!?! Now *that* is what I want to see, especially on a company like Pennsylvania Ballet. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Philly to see that one. :)

#38 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 06:13 PM

Oh, goody! People to do my advance work. ;) I'll be looking for everyone's comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):