This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT for Sale

My smell test for something like this is "is the work driving the funding or is the funding driving the work?"

Ari's example pretty much describes the difference. If the company intended to do this ballet, and have costumes like this in the first place, and then looked around for a donor whose interests coincided with theirs, it may seem crass, but that's also survival. They're trying to pay 60 some-odd dancers a living wage. It takes a lot of donations and revenue to make that happen.

If the company approached a potential donor and let them dictate or drive artistic content or policy, then the company has crossed the line.

Well, you know I couldn't let this pass without dragging it over to this thread. Though not the same issue, I think it strongly bespeaks of the commercial as opposed to artistic direction ABT is drifting toward. Throw in the controversy of the school and you've got, imho, an arrogant American Ballet Titanic making a beeline for the nearest iceberg.

(From Links)

Footnotes

by Tobi Tobias

Ballexploitation

May 7 - 13, 2003

American Ballet Theatre, frantic to sell tickets to its season at the Metropolitan Opera House (through June 28), has embarked on an ad campaign that goes beyond the foolish to the offensive. One of its photos features a ballerina seemingly nude but for her pointe shoes. Her head is bowed so that she's faceless. Her arms are wrapped across her torso, her torso bent over her thighs, as if she's shielding her breasts and genitals. The image suggests sexual violation and shame —simultaneously, like much fashion photography, glamorizing them. (The ostensible equal-opportunity shot given to a buff male chest and belly is just locker-room pretty.) A panoramic view of ABT's stars in costume—haplessly derived from an unforgettable Irving Penn photograph—extends the tawdriness of the campaign. It's captioned, "They tear apart families, turn women into animals and poison heaven." Onward and upward with the arts!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks, Tobi, for drawing the line.

Watermill

While I don't much like the advertising, it seems to be the trend in many ballet companies campaigns (San Fran, and NYCB) where fashion-type shots dominate. In fact, ABT's photographs basically look like they took the cover images to the NYCB workout and changed the angles.

But for me, ABT has changed artistically for the better. The brought back "La Fille" to NY, which I hadn't seen since Joffrey, homegrown talent they've brought up through their ranks, their Studio Company offers a great opportunity and they've brought some fantastic ethnic diversity to their ranks.

I wonder is this just another question of "taste"...and where one person draws the line as opposed to another?

I saw that male torso ad on a bus stop and did a double take - really thought it was a Calvin Klein underwear commercial.

I understand what they're trying to do - to catch the public's eye and entice them into the ABT ballet world...saying it's not your great Aunt Winifred's ballet anymore... I just think it could be achieved with a bit more taste and wit.

Easy for me to say! ;)

I also should admit I'm a bit hyper-sensitive to this sort of thing having endured seven years of James Canfield's raunch & roll here at OBT.

I shouldn't be suprised: marketing for big numbers always goes for the crotch. Personally, I think people are growing tired of this sex-laden content which constantly bombards us every minute of the day from all directions auditory and visual.

I have always held ballet above the high school horniness that seems to be fashionable. Though ballet is often erotic ( L'Apres Midi, Agon, R&J are among my favorites, because of their sensuality) my point is that I think ABT and other marketing bottom-feeders are perhaps not realizing that their audience (even their young audience) might be seeking refuge from 24/7 T&A. And that they stand to capture more audience swimming against the tide by providing a momentary shelter from Brittney's Belly-button or J-Lo's latest gownless evening strap.

Apologies for straying off the topic...BTW: notice in links that the AP critic couldn't help mentioning CK. I do hope ABT got a lot of money for this, because CK is going to sell a lot of jeans.

Watermill

I noticed the AP pickup, but neither WWD or either NY review made mention.

CK has done a few fundraisers for the company (last fall before the City Center engagement). So hopefully the company did.

If not, at least Julie Kent can hook the company up with some free Pantene.

I too was very disappointed at the ABT adds--it seems to be going after a market that is very different from the style of most of the ballets, and I can see in the long run that there may be more Beefcake Charlie pieces in the repertoire. And the faceless naked ballerina seemed to be trying to go one step further (or lower) than the gauzy suggestiveness of NYCB's current adds. Talk about poisoning heaven!

But in terms of corporate money polluting the arts, I think it still all boils down to the choreographer's talent. Apollo isn't any lesser a work because Diaghilev's opening night Terpsichore was in because she was the girlfriend of a rich executive who promised money to the company if she danced. A choreographer can be adamant about not taking polluted money (as Philip Morris, and I suspect all corporate money is) and still make bad dances. I wouldn't mind (much) if C**** K**** were tatooed on the dancers' arms, if the piece were worth watching, but it could be costumed by the Salvation Army and it would still be awful.

In the interest of being fair, especially after ripping into them fairly frequently during this thread, I must admit the latest ABT TV commercial is well done and inoffensive to my obviously overly refined artistic sensibilities (not to mention my hair trigger art vs business hot button!).

http://www.uemedia.com/artman/uploads/0509ballet2.mov

It's beautiful & bland & black & white. Which is probably just right for a mass media TV commercial selling ballet as a dramatic classy night out. I am thankful that it did not include the debatable attitudes mentioned above in Tobi Tobias' mini-rant.

I suppose the only criticism I might have is that it could have been shot with dancers from any company. But obviously this was a conscious choice to not showcase any personalities. They do enough of that anyway, don't they?

For fun: anyone know who the dancers were?

A Wondering Watermill

Glad you posted this Watermill, I looked at this commercial, thanks to Ari's post in links, and agree - beautifully done.

Has anyone actually seen in on TV? Or isn't it officially out yet?

Are they the only ballet company that seems to be really pouring it on via advertising or does it just appear that way? Since everyone is crying, with good reason, budget woes, I'm guessing that the advertising blitz is thought to be key...

and in the article along with that clip, it mentions that the fellow who put this tv spot together apparently did some of it "on his own time". That's very nice, isn't it? :)

No. Haven't SEEN it on tv, because I turn my attention elsewhere during commercials, but a couple of times I heard the tag-line telling me I've just missed it. :confused: :rolleyes: :) I think NY1 is the station I missed it on. That channel is available only to Time-Warner cable subscribers in the five boroughs, but it must be playing elsewhere, too.

Grateful to have the link here (thanks much, Watermill!) although I had trouble pulling it up on the first try.

Has anyone else noticed that the credits to donors for specific dancers, instead of appearing below the cast portion of the program, has increased prominence now, appearing directly beneath each dancer's headshot in the stagebill?

Rats! Now I have to figure out a way to get the bucks to sponsor Jose. This I want! ;) Really, really badly.

Oh, and GWTW, isn't it interesting that there is no clothing (not even ck underwear) in ABT's tv ad? But I think the craftspersons who pulled it together deserve more than jeans.

Guest yardred

If this is what it takes to keep the art form alive then so be it. Endorsements are not bad for a ballet company if chosen wisely and certainly are good for dancers careers...

I agree with yardred. I think we should feel lucky to live in a country that has profitable companies willing to sponsor the arts. Take a look around the world. In many countries the arts programs are falling apart due to lack of funds. As long as the dancers aren't drinking Coke on stage, I say let them be thankful that they are working. We should be thankful that we are still able to see them perform. In a perfect world our tax dollars would support the arts but we all know this is definitely not a perfect world.

ABT's latest:

A bus stop poster featuring a charming photo (by Gene Schiavone) of Sarah Lane and selling PayLess shoes. Eventually, you'll see the same photo by clicking on "Spotlights"this page as you can find on the outside (southern) facing pane for the shelter at the #M-11 bus stop, Columbus Ave. at 63rd St. (directly in front of New York State Theater).

Funding for the arts is a dodgy affair. Running a big opera or ballet company is an enormous expense and just selling even high priced tickets to performances is not going to bring in the revenue to support all the operations.

So these companies are out seeking funds from wherever. Sadly our government spends billions and billions on weapons and not the arts. And so it falls to sponsors, both commercial and private.

You can "own" a principal dancer at the ABT if you donate enough. I suppose it gets you some face time with him or her.

It's sad that companies have to resort to this. it's also degrading to have these artists selling shoes. And it is tacky that these companies try to leverage the arts or artists in ad campaigns.

It's pathetic and repulsive. It's capitalism.

ABT's latest:

A bus stop poster featuring a charming photo (by Gene Schiavone) of Sarah Lane and selling PayLess shoes.

Mea culpa! I'd lost faith Kevin McKenzie would ever cast Sarah in a major role. Things may well be looking up for ABT's Corps. Keep the new casting coming, Corps Exploiter in Chief.

You can "own" a principal dancer at the ABT if you donate enough.
This was used to killing effect in one French review I read lambasting ABT in Paris: Each blasted dancer was identified by her/his owner.
It's sad that companies have to resort to this. it's also degrading to have these artists selling shoes. And it is tacky that these companies try to leverage the arts or artists in ad campaigns.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I agree but on the other hand -

Aren't we glad when there is popular recognition of "our" stars. Is it tacky for Baryshnikov and Darci Kistler to be featured in ads for Movado watches and Fonteyn and Nureyev on ads for fur coats? Is it degrading because Payless is a low price chain?

Isn't Sarah Lane a better role model for the demographic that Payless is targeting than Britney (Spears) or Lindsay (Lohan)?

Frankly, performing arts institutions have to be more flexible in today's

socio-politcal environment. Even a monster like the Met Opera, has to try different things to survive. You just cannot depend on a few wealthy patrons anymore. Whatever a company has to do to survive, I for one reluctingly feel, they will have to try anything.

Frankly, performing arts institutions have to be more flexible in today's

socio-politcal environment. Even a monster like the Met Opera, has to try different things to survive. You just cannot depend on a few wealthy patrons anymore. Whatever a company has to do to survive, I for one reluctingly feel, they will have to try anything.

True, I feel much the same way. It's too easy for an arts instituation to find out that all of a sudden the financial mat has been pulled out from under them so those that are creative and prepared are able to survive.

And certainly there is no responsibilty for other countries to understand the seemingly impossible to understand structure to fund US financial support for the arts but , oh well, some chose to take a "high level" view, even if it is simplistic